• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking Tunes!

Chris Cognac

really challenging jazz. I find that a great solo will inspire a great meal. what kind of jazz depends on the food.

If you are mixing something up in a blender or really beating something up with a whip I might reccomend Ornette Coleman or Sun Ra (my all time jazz hero-yes, I know who the captain of the spaceship is!).

If the concoction you are making is going to be smooth with seriously beautiful peaks (like a good meringue) I am thinking Sonny Rollins or Coleman Hawkins might fit the bill.

If you are making a really cool dish like ice cream, you are gonna have to go with Lester Young or Charlie Parker.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Ooh yes...

Lester Young (with Teddy Wilson and Billie Holiday?), when making something that needs a bit of love and attention...risotto maybe

Sheffield, where I changed,

And ate an awful pie

Breakfast: U2's All You Can't Leave Behind is in hvy rotation now, and fairly reduces Rolie Polie Olie to a deafmute.

Lunch: Seal's latest, or 'Femmes if it's just gonna be rounds of grilled cheese and kool-aid, or KGSR radio "whaddya want for lunch" hour of tunage

Dinner: Al Green, because Al Green is love and you can't cook without it, my friend.

Drunken early morning steak/eggs/beans breakfast: Tammy Wynette, GNR's Appetite for Destruction, Willie Nelson's RedHeaded Stranger or Jimmy Cliff, preferably one of the concert riffs.

In current rotation:

Prep:

Rebirth of Cool, Vol4 - 4th&BWay

Lounge-a-palooza - Hollywood

Cook:

Suba Tributo - 6degrees

Brasil 2mil - 6degrees

Plate/serve/eat:

- if a serious meal,

Ryuichi Sakamoto - (any)

Certain Jazz compilations

- if casual,

Ernest Ranglin - Below the bassline

Trojan Lovers BoxSet

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

If I have a lot of food to crank out, like a holiday meal or a party I almost always reach for Talking Heads' Remain In Light. The Clash London Calling works too. Both reflect an edgy sense of urgency that keeps me on task.

Edit: Does anyone else like to sing while cooking?

Edited by hjshorter (log)

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

If I have a lot of food to crank out, like a holiday meal or a party I almost always reach for Talking Heads' Remain In Light. The Clash London Calling works too. Both reflect an edgy sense of urgency that keeps me on task.

Edit: Does anyone else like to sing while cooking?

I play air guitar and air drums...Just have tomake sure my chefs knife is not in my hand as a drum stick...could be ugly!

Moo, Cluck, Oink.....they all taste good!

The Hungry Detective

I've got to get in my vote for "The Big Night" soundtrack. Louis Prima, Rosemary Clooney... Now that's music.

Sometimes, I tune the DirecTV to "Big Band and Swing", "Alternative", "Metal" or "Sounds of the season"

Brian Setzer, either with the Orchestra or just the Rockabilly power trio.

I know... my musical tastes are sort of all over the place.

Edited by WineMiles (log)

Andy Szmidt

WineMiles.com - great wines! low prices!

The early bird may get the worm. But it is the second mouse that gets the cheese.

I play air guitar and air drums...Just have tomake sure my chefs knife is not in my hand as a drum stick...could be ugly!

If I get an ugly run on the line and can handle my business by myself, I'll flash my "rock-horns", which is the most satisfying thing you can do with minimal energy. It doubles as the UT Longhorn symbol, so it's even more excellent in Austin.

Andrew

Moo, Cluck, Oink.....they all taste good!

The Hungry Detective

Yeah, I'll let out a pretty deep grunt and my grimacing face will scare off any waitstaff that is bugging me still. You can't help but feel like the sh*t after that and the rock horns.

Andrew

I do indulge in singing and some shuffling...you cannot be at the church of FUNK and not participate...I rocked out with this year's Grammies...and was happy for days. Now to me that's mood music!!!Happy, happy, happy---gig 'em frogs!!! Purple to the bone...

Edit to add: One of my favorites at a grilling party is Todd Rundgren's Bang On De Drum (ALL DAY)

Edited by Mabelline (log)

Replacements and The Cure

The Cure!

Show me showme showme how you do that thing

the one that makes me scream she said

the one that makes me love she said

and threw her arms around my head

show me how you do it

and i promise you i promise that

i'll run away with you

yeah, makes my teeth grind in a happy retro way, but the things I cooked were not food, no way.

I don't like music when cooking something either new, or requiring a lot of concentration. It's too distracting, and in a workplace I'd mostly try to tune it out if there was any being played.

If on the other hand the food is familiar to me and something I could do in my sleep, I'll usually choose something cheerful like Pizzicato Five, or video game soundtracks, though the latter is also because I'm a long time gamer.

This does seem to change according to season though, I like more mellow stuff when cooking at temperature extremes, and more upbeat music during the rest of the year. Similar relation between whether or not I'm in a hurry.

Pat

"I... like... FOOD!" -Red Valkyrie, Gauntlet Legends-