• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking Tunes!

Chris Cognac

I love to cook, and I love music!..I have always found that when I listen to some good tunes, i am more creative and therefore make better food...so what do you listen to in the kitchen.

I BBQ'd to Bob Marley and Mana...but prepped to the Smiths last night. I also love to cook too the sounds of the Stone Roses and Catherine Wheel.....but if I am burning up the kitchen, its gotta be Iron Maiden or Van Halen!

Moo, Cluck, Oink.....they all taste good!

The Hungry Detective

WWOZ-New Orleans Radio for the People and By the People

KGSR-Austin-Roots Radio Extraordinaire

Alternatively I also listen to Willie's Place on XM and Musicmatch (set to Random with either Lucinda Williams or James McMurtry set to center the search-this is a very cool service-well worth the fee).

When baking I listen to mostly jazz, for some reason I can't really explain. Mile's Davis "Sketches of Spain" is perfect for complicated pastry projects.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

I BBQ'd to Bob Marley and Mana...

Right on Brother! BBQ'in' to Mana.......but for me, I have to add a cold Margarita on the rocks to the mix....... :cool:

"We do not stop playing because we grow old,

we grow old because we stop playing"

If I'm just going with the flow, I like Irish music,zydeco,Celtic anything.

But for Q, I'm partial to the Fabulous Thunderbirds, Kenny Wayne Shepherd Band, and AC/DC as well-Stiff Upper Lip is cool, too.

SO likes Uncle Ted (Nugent),Sabbath.

i listen to a lot of hip-hop while cooking, especially de la soul (buhloone mindstate) and a tribe called quest (midnight marauders, beats, rhymes and life)

also, 50s-60s hindi film music--in the middle of cooking dinner for 7 right now and am listening to a compilation of s.d burman composed songs. hopefully some of his and the songwriters' genius, and the joy in the voices of mohammad rafi, kishore kumar and geeta dutt will seep into the food.

Scherzo movements from any symphony by Mozart, Beethoven, Prokofiev, or Mussorsky ...

a little Scott Joplin is nice :rolleyes: ...

and, naturellement, a touch of 80's classic rock! :biggrin:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I BBQ'd to Bob Marley and Mana...

Right on Brother! BBQ'in' to Mana.......but for me, I have to add a cold Margarita on the rocks to the mix....... :cool:

It doesnt get better than that..I don't understand a word they say (they sing in Spanish) but they make me think I am in the Yucatan, grilling my shrimp on the beach.....oh yea...it also helps me to think "marinade"...

The Hungry Detective

Bach for complicated pastries, Mahler for lengthy french recipes, Flamenco when I need to concentrate on what I'm doing like bread making. Jay-Z and LL Cool J for casual dinner, Beastie boys and Foo Fighters for cooking whatever is in the fridge night.

Ya-Roo Yang aka "Bond Girl"

The Adventures of Bond Girl

I don't ask for much, but whatever you do give me, make it of the highest quality.

I am an Early Radio fan.

I can spend hours in the kitchen listening to "Suspense" or "Dimension X", or a good old-fashioned radio detective. If that doesn't fit my mood, there's Burns and Allen, or Milton Berle.

BB

Food is all about history and geography.

The Dead. Neil Young (Live). The Dead. The Stones.

Anything with a strong rhythm and long arrangements, that pulls you into the zone so that you're barely thinking about the cooking, just reacting instinctively and well to the demands of each course and relying on your own fell and taste to make it come out right. This should be done while drinking.

Not as effective for baking or dinner parties (conversation kills the flow)

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

A lot of variety here.

Big Night soundtrack

Next Stop Wonderland soundtrack

LA Confidential soundtrack

Swingers soundtrack

Ska

Jazz

Todd Rundgren

Esquivel

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

So does the type of music you are listening too while cooking influence your recipies?...Like when I listen to Mana,I tend to use more lemons, oranges and other citrus's and herbs...But when I am listeneing to Iron Maiden...its spices and booze!

The Hungry Detective

Peter Tosh: making breakfast..."legalize it....'

Cee Lo: nice lunch

Shaggy, Sean Paul: if I'm prepping dinner alone and can sing and dance along with the prep

Sometimes some old 112 if I'm just cooking for the 2 of us

Just got a fabulous new Toots and the Maytal CD, excellent for Sunday brunch (prepping and eating).

Thanks god the music doesn't influence my choice of 'herbs'. :blink:

Prepping... Billie Holiday

If I am actively working with a flame.... Hendrix.

If I am slow simmering or using the oven... Beethoven.

Plating... Motown (or 60s soul, like Otis Redding).

Edited by mikeycook (log)

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

Peter Tosh: making breakfast..."legalize it....'

Cee Lo: nice lunch

Shaggy, Sean Paul: if I'm prepping dinner alone and can sing and dance along with the prep

Sometimes some old 112 if I'm just cooking for the 2 of us

Just got a fabulous new Toots and the Maytal CD, excellent for Sunday brunch (prepping and eating).

Thanks god the music doesn't influence my choice of 'herbs'.  :blink:

If you like Peter Tosh you should give South African Lucky Dube a try. I saw him this weekend at the Jazz Fest (first time he has been around New Orleans for a while) and the show was stratospheric.

That new Toots record is fun and very listenable. Lots of interesting guests (including Willie Nelson on a really great song that is getting lots of airplay on KGSR/Austin).

If you like Peter Tosh you should give South African Lucky Dube a try. I saw him this weekend at the Jazz Fest (first time he has been around New Orleans for a while) and the show was statospheric.

I LOVE Lucky Dube! Actually have a pretty fair collection of West African music that can get you thru a lot of grunt work.

I saw you like XM...check out the World station.

I also go through my funk periods. Chambers Bros., Jimi, Sly, and PFunk. They make ribs go down soooo good. And I do like Outkast.

TIME! I love those guys.

How about the Meters? It gets no funkier than The Funky Meters.