• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fresh Turmeric/Mango Turmeric

Episure

Hello Episure,

I enjoyed 'Indian Food News' section and am hoping for many more to come. I have a recipe for fresh turmeric pickle somewhere. I'll post it if I can find it. I know my Amma once bought fresh haldi - she planted it, so she could use the leaves to steam various Konkani delicacies like Muddo (an elongated snack with a coconut and jaggery filling) and Undi(Balls of rice flavoured with methi seeds and a barely-there aroma of turmeric leaves). Whether she cooked anything with the fresh haldi, I can't remember. Fresh haldi has an interesting taste, doesn't it? Monisha Bharadwaj has a few recipes for it in her book, 'The Indian Pantry'.

Suman

Thanks Rajsuman,

Muddo sounds very interesting!

The Gujaratis also make a pickle with julienned fresh turmeric and mango ginger( Amba Haldi) which is yummy, perhaps Rushina or someone else can post the recipe here.

I use it to make Thai yellow curry paste.

In Bombay one can buy it at Bhuleshwar market when it is in season.

I fry by the heat of my pans. ~ Suresh Hinduja

http://www.gourmetindia.com

My mother throws in a couple of dried turmeric leaves when making ghee.

Of course, she makes pateleos and uses fresh turmeric in a "mit-mirsang" (salt+chillis literally) masalas that she uses for fish and veggies.

You also get them fresh at the Dadar fruit/veggie market

Edited by bague25 (log)

Re: Haldi

Does anybody has recipes that use fresh haldi/turmeric?

Hello Episure,

Hope you will be posting more Indian Food News. I have a recipe for fresh mango ginger chutney somewhere. I'll post it if I can find it. It uses mango ginger and coconut. I haven't tried it in a long time since mango ginger is not always available here.

Ammini Ramachandran

www.Peppertrail.com

I don't know what that is.

Can you describe it to me, or give me the Hindi or Gujerati name and I can check.

Thanks Behelpuri. My knowledge of Gujarathi is very very limited. Rajsuman's post says "mango ginger( Amba Haldi)". It looks like fresh ginger, but has a tangy taste.

Ammini Ramachandran

www.Peppertrail.com

I called my local Patel Brothers store - no Amba Haldi.

According to the manager, you can't get it anywhere in the area.

Define "the area" :smile:

My grocer (Parsippany, NJ) carries "White Haldi" along with the regular fresh haldi. That's mango ginger, correct?

They also have "H. Ginger" along with the ginger. Is that just mature ginger or something else?

monisha bharadwaj, in her "indian spice kitchen" identifies mango ginger with the english "zedoary." she writes its main use is as "a pickle which must be eaten quickly."

which is the way i usually eat anyway, so i may be game for this.

unfortunately, i've never seen the pungent rhizome in my whereabouts.

malvi doshi suggests a simple condiment:

equal parts of fresh peeled turmeric and mango ginger cut into matchsticks, then tossed with lemon and salt. sounds good to me!

however, other sources claim fresh turmeric isn't popular with the "indian palate".

i don't remember eating it.

equal parts of fresh peeled turmeric and mango ginger cut into matchsticks, then tossed with lemon and salt. sounds good to me!

That's the one I was referring to as the Gujarati version.

The reason why it's called amba haldi or as the gujaratis would call it- haldar, is because it tastes like a cross between fresh turmeric and raw mango.

Thanks whippy!

Rajsuman's post says "mango ginger( Amba Haldi)". It looks like fresh ginger, but has a tangy taste.

Amb halad is what its called up here in the Bombay area, but in the south I've eaten it as manga-inji, which is a literal translation of mango-ginger (or the other way round). Its quite nice, a good alternative for those who don't or can't eat oily pickled. Years back when I was laid up with a really bad attack of jaundice and was going out of my mind on a diet of bland khichri and thayirsadam, manga-inji was one of the few things I could use to add more taste to it,

Vikram

equal parts of fresh peeled turmeric and mango ginger cut into matchsticks, then tossed with lemon and salt.  sounds good to me!

That's the one I was referring to as the Gujarati version.

The reason why it's called amba haldi or as the gujaratis would call it- haldar, is because it tastes like a cross between fresh turmeric and raw mango.

Thanks whippy!

Episure,

This is the recipe more or less. Proportions are equal on both haldis and salt and lemon juice are to taste. I sometimes spike it with green chillies. I often serve it as an accompaniment to Thai Curry though have never cooked the curry with it. I have posted a recipe on another thread on fresh turmeric on this forum a while back (when i first joined)

I have used it chopped up in my daals and it is not much different from the powdered except the aroma is much stronger.

Rushina

Can you describe it to me, or give me the Hindi or Gujerati name and I can check.

I have bought Amba haldi in the Patel Brothers in NJ number of times. They always have two varieties of Haldi, one is Amba haldi. It is orangish inside and sour in taste. I have seen lot of caribbeans also buying it at Patel Bothers, they call it mango ginger.

I have bought Amba haldi in the Patel Brothers in NJ number of times. They always have two varieties of Haldi, one is Amba haldi. It is orangish inside and sour in taste. I have seen lot of caribbeans also buying it at Patel Bothers, they call it mango ginger.

Yep, that's the one! I wonder how the caribbeans use it.

Edited by Episure (log)

Julie Sahni taught me how to make a great fresh "pickle" relish using semi-ripe mango and amba halad. It is nothing more than cubes of half-ripe mango with thin slices of amba halad. the ratio is about 1 part mango to 1/4 part amba halad. This is seasoned with salt a little lemon juice and a tadka of mustard seeds, curry leaves and asafoetida. You can also finely julienne the curry leaves and add them to the relish instead of frying them in the tadka. Quick and easy!

Edited by Edward (log)

Edward Hamann

Cooking Teacher

Indian Cooking

edhamann@hotmail.com

Anyone know what kind of turmeric this is? I've been looking for fresh turmeric (for thai cooking) and my mom just sent me some of this. She said they called it "yellow ginger" back on the island. The flesh is orange, like a carrot.

i6505.jpg

Sorry about pic quality, it was from my camera phone. But its my first posted pic, a cool feature I just figured out.

Edit: I just spoke with my mom who said on the island, they call this mango (pronounced mang-o, not man-goe like the fruit) or yellow ginger. Same stuff as above?

Edited by bbq4meanytime (log)

Anyone know what kind of turmeric this is? I've been looking for fresh turmeric (for thai cooking) and my mom just sent me some of this. She said they called it "yellow ginger" back on the island. The flesh is orange, like a carrot.

i6505.jpg

This looks like Turmeric alright. It's is called Ka-min-lueng, or simply, Ka-min in Thai.

There's another type of Ka-min, called Ka-min-kao, whose flesh is much softer yellow than this bright orange one.

Ka-min is used mostly as an aromatics or a natural dye, whereas Kamin-kao is sometimes eaten out of hand as a garnish for some types of relish.

chez pim

not an arbiter of taste