• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Leftover rice

I love having leftover plain steamed basmati rice.. there are so many wonderful treats that can be prepared from it.

I love adding yogurt to it and then tempering it curry leaves, mustard seeds and dried red chilies

I love preparing lemon rice with it.. I am posting my simple recipe here for those who wish to try it.. cold rice works best with this dish

Simple Lemon Rice

3 tablespoons clarified butter

1 teaspoon black mustard seeds

8 fresh curry leaves

1 tablespoon Channa dal

2 tablespoons unsalted cashews or peanuts

1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder

4 tablespoon lemon juice

2 cups leftover simple basmati rice (cooked)

Table salt to taste

In a large skillet, heat the clarified butter. Add the mustard seeds. When they begin to sputter, in quick succession add the curry leaves, channa dal and cashews. Sauté for a minute. Add the turmeric.

Add the lime juice. It will splatter a bit, so do this carefully. Add the rice and salt.

Sauté for a minute to coat the rice well.

So what do you do with leftover rice?? So share

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

1. Leftover Rice Paranthas

- Spice up the leftover rice with Garam masal, Ajwain seeds, Cumin seeds, some finely chopped onions, green chillies and coriander leaves.

- Stuff them in a ball of dough and make like a regular stuffed parantha.

2. Egg Bhurji and Rice

- Make egg bhurji (scrambled eggs) per your taste and when they are almost done, add rice and spice it up with garam masala and 1 tsp of clarified butter. Mix well till evenly heated and enjoy!!

i just finished a very yummy tuna and rice salad, with capers, red onion and olives. squeeze of lemon....mmmm. (it's about 100 degrees here in southern cailfornia still.)

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

I can see this is a topic to keep track of! Already so many good ideas.

I've looked for years for a really good rice pudding using leftover rice. So many recipes call for uncooked and that seems to defeat the spirit of something like rice pudding, which is very good but comfort/leftover food in my book. Any ideas or recipes?

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

I've looked for years for a really good rice pudding using leftover rice. So many recipes call for uncooked and that seems to defeat the spirit of something like rice pudding, which is very good but comfort/leftover food in my book. Any ideas or recipes?

My favorite rice pudding

See what you think ... :biggrin:

adding cinnamon and raisins, as you can see, is at your discretion here .. this is just the "basic".

Edited by Gifted Gourmet (log)

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

1. Leftover Rice Paranthas

- Spice up the leftover rice with Garam masal, Ajwain seeds, Cumin seeds, some finely chopped onions, green chillies and coriander leaves.

- Stuff them in a ball of dough and make like a regular stuffed parantha.

2. Egg Bhurji and Rice

- Make egg bhurji (scrambled eggs) per your taste and when they are almost done, add rice and spice it up with garam masala and 1 tsp of clarified butter. Mix well till evenly heated and enjoy!!

nice to see you back.. its been a while!

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

I can see this is a topic to keep track of! Already so many good ideas.

As I write I have a rice custard baking in the oven. In one of the new leak-proof springform pans which has a silicone seal to keep the water out and the custard in.

I had about 1 1/2 cups of rice so I made a custard (I never use a recipe but this is what I used this time)

8 eggs

1 cup milk

3/4 cup cream

1/2 cup Splenda (I am diabetic-you can use sugar.)

1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

Beat well and stir in:

1 cup crumbled ricotta salata (you can use farmer's cheese or regular ricotta but you have to drain it well)

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon ground cardamon

1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg or allspice.

Stir the rice to separate the grains and add to the mixture.

Pour into buttered baking dish or a non-stick pan.

Bake in a 325 degree F. oven for 45 to 55 minutes, or until a thin blade knife inserted in the center comes out clean.

If you want to make a savory dish, omit the sugar and sweet spices, add 1/2 cup of crisp crumbled bacon, toasted onion and freshly ground pepper, or 1/2 a chopped chile pepper.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Regarding the rice custard:

I forgot the important part about the baking.

If you are using a metal baking pan or a springform pan you have to set it in a water bath.

Set baking dish in a larger pan, place in oven and pour boiling water in the outer pan to within an inch of the top of the baking dish.

Sorry about that!

Andie

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Another way I use leftover rice is mixed into a cornmeal batter like you would make for corn pancakes.

For each cup of batter grate in 1/4 cup of parmesan.

Cook on a griddle until they are brown and a bit crispy around the edges.

Our cook called this Philpy when I was a child.

Set baking dish in a larger pan, place in oven and pour boiling water in the outer pan to within an inch of the top of the baking dish.

Sorry about that!

Perhaps it would be better if you edit your original post, instead of putting in an add on post...Some people would cut and paste the original, and attempt to make it and wind up very very dissapointed...

Forgetting the Ban Marie is indeed an important step...

Speaking from the "Been there, done that " mode..

I just had yesterday some Basmati leftovers.

I sauteed a tablespoon of chopped onion with ghee, then added turmeric and a sprinkle of garam masala, sauteed again, then added the rice. When it was well coated I made a hole in the middle, broke an egg in it, covered the pan and cooked for another couple of minutes. The egg yolk was still soft and the rice had a nice, crunchy crust. Yum!

Was it a fusion dish? :wink:

Pongi

Edited by Pongi (log)