• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sushi Yasuda vs. Kuruma Zushi

Celine

Raji, does Kuruma fry up the shrimp head and served as appetizer after the use of the tail for sushi?

Usually if there's tempura on the menu, or any agemono, they're going go to ahead and do that for you. And at many izakaya that's on the menu, you can order it!

• 1 month later...
One possibly big difference is that Karuma is MATERIALLY more expensive.  I don't know how much that matters to you.

ok man don't hate me, but it bugs me -

kUruma kUruma

momofukU momofukU

You've got some 'U's missing in your Scrabble set!

As for oak's issue - it's almost always best to sit in front of the head sushi chef, everyone else is just a chip off the old block - although what happens sometimes is the the apprentice starts to get better than the head chef when he's getting older - like the Seinfeld episode with the 2 barbers...

That said, it will still be very very GOOD, but might feel like you still have to go back, after all it's Sushi Yasuda not Sushi Someotherguy -

If it were me I'd take the opportunity to hit up one of the SushiDens, Sushi Seki or Sugiyama (which features a lot of sashimi as part of their courses)

I failed to reconfirm my res for last night and they gave away my spot in front of Yasuda (without calling me) They seated me infront of another chef (which leads me to believe that they still knew I was coming, I'm still PISSED.

Same price, (actually more) for less.

I should have walked out- but I really love Yasuda, so I'm not burning any bridges even if they do cost 260.00.

Hiro was out chef, and mind you, he's good, but he doesn't know my taste, and made a few assumptions... (for one, that I was kidding when I asked him to make me an uni, toro and eel tasting- I didn't laugh when I said it so you'd think he'd've known I was serious.)

It was a good meal, but I had perhaps 4 or 5 pieces of toro, and really could have eaten twice that happily. salmon, yellowtail etc...all good but of course, not what I was in the market for.

I don't know if there is any protocol on twisting the sushi chefs arm to get what you want, but I made it clear what I wanted and he didn't give it to me. I don't like this attribute in my men or my chefs.

Next time I'll play by their rules, remember to R.S.V.P, and dine with the Big Daddy.

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

Luckylies.

I've only dined in front of "Big Daddy" (twice), so I can't speak to the talents or ways of the other chefs in the house. However, I will tell you that on my second visit, there was something funny going on with the reservations. I had to re-confirm thrice with them to ensure that I was to be sat in front of Yasuda.

That being said, after I was seated and in front of His Highness, everything was smooth sailing... as much uni, toro and eel as i wanted - and more! :raz:

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

I've sat before him a number of times, that's why I was so dissapointed. I think they wanted to give the spot to a whale, which just doesn't fly with me...they could've called. they had my number.

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

I LOVE SUSHI YASUDA!!! I've had the privilege of visiting Japan, which has such amazing cuisine. Even after eating at Tsujiki fish market at 5 in the morning with fishermen as my company at the sushi bar, fish fresh off the boat, literally, I still believe Yasuda's hands down the most exceptional experience to be had. IMPORTANT NOTE: You must sit in front of Yasuda and let him prepare his omakase for you, or at the very least at the sushi bar. You can see Yasuda under my favorites at my website: Restaurant Girl

Until we eat again,

Restaurant Girl

I had the omakase at Sushi Yasuda on Saturday night. It was Yasuda-san's night off (an odd night for a restaurant chef to be absent). I can't make comparisons, but I was happy with the chef who served me. I was also happy with the price, $105 for about 25 pieces, before tax and tip, which I think was excellent for the quality.

I had the omakase at Sushi Yasuda on Saturday night. It was Yasuda-san's night off (an odd night for a restaurant chef to be absent). I can't make comparisons, but I was happy with the chef who served me. I was also happy with the price, $105 for about 25 pieces, before tax and tip, which I think was excellent for the quality.

I think Yasuda is just downright excellent, but for its quality in relation to other top-quality sushi restaurants, it is also a downright bargain. The only problem with Yasuda IMO is that it is not geared to be a place to linger and spend an evening. As such it would make a great pre-theater dinner. I believe the quality of Kuruma is on a par or possibly better in some respects than Yasuda, but for overall value I prefer the latter.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Does anyone know how far in advance Sushi Yasuda takes reservations?

i'll say probably a month. but i've never had a problem making reservations for "busy" nights (friday or saturday) the same week.

they have a website: clicky

i agree with most posters: i never dined at kuruma, so i can't do a comparison. i just know that i love sushi yasuda for the rice, the overall value, the fun factor when you're sitting at yasuda san's station, etc. etc. it really is my favorite sushi place across the board.

docsconz, i have to agree with you about the lingering. the other day (ooops, that was in september) when i sat at a table in the dining room, i felt like they were rushing us. they mentioned when i made the reservation that they needed the table back at 8pm...but with the rushing we were done eating in about 40 minutes (at 7:10). so we just sat there and chatted...probably scared the wait staff!

Does anyone know how far in advance Sushi Yasuda takes reservations?

i'll say probably a month. but i've never had a problem making reservations for "busy" nights (friday or saturday) the same week.

I'm pretty sure I made my reservation for Saturday night the same week.
docsconz, i have to agree with you about the lingering.  the other day (ooops, that was in september) when i sat at a table in the dining room, i felt like they were rushing us.  they mentioned when i made the reservation that they needed the table back at 8pm...but with the rushing we were done eating in about 40 minutes (at 7:10).  so we just sat there and chatted...probably scared the wait staff!

I never felt rushed, but I was finished in well under an hour. Some other kinds of meals at that expense level would take longer.

I'm no expert on omakase meals at sushi bars, but how long could it ever take? The way it is, at least in my fairly limited experience, is that the food keeps coming at you. And you eat till you can't (or don't want to) anymore. I'm not sure what you'd "linger" over. It's just not that kind of meal.

Edited by Sneakeater (log)

I've never felt rushed at either Yasuda or Kuruma. The fact of the matter is that in neither case is the meal likely to take more than an hour for omakase, unless one has a much bigger appetite (and wallet) than I do. Mind you, I am not complaining. It is a great meal if one wants to get someplace else. It is just not a great place to spend time with someone :laugh: Don't expect to spend the evening there. :wink: You are correct, Sneakeater, it is not that kind of meal. I am simply pointing out that if someone is planning on dining at either place, they should have other plans for the evening as well.

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

...And you eat till you can't (or don't want to) anymore.  I'm not sure what you'd "linger" over.  It's just not that kind of meal.

Sneakeater, you make it sound like some tawdry "business" exchange! :laugh: And, your parenthetical hypothetical has never happened to me... it's always the former. :laugh:

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

It is a great meal if one wants to get someplace else. It is just not a great place to spend time with someone :laugh: Don't expect to spend the evening there. :wink:

The way I see it, the beauty part is that you're left with plenty of time to spend with whoever you go with after the meal.

(Docsconz probably can't remember what it was like to be single.)

It is a great meal if one wants to get someplace else. It is just not a great place to spend time with someone :laugh: Don't expect to spend the evening there. :wink:

The way I see it, the beauty part is that you're left with plenty of time to spend with whoever you go with after the meal.

(Docsconz probably can't remember what it was like to be single.)

Like I said, one should have other plans for after the meal :laugh:

Twitter - @docsconz