• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Microwave Confessions

beans

Please forgive if this has been tossed about before, as I did a search for microwave and came up with only a bizillion posts mentioning the word and after scanning some five pages of topics covered containing said word, I gave up my exhaustive review of the search results. (I'm on the 100 posts per page controls option). :rolleyes:

Okay!

Well the thing takes up a fair amount of footage on my counter and I grew up sans microwave so it is probably the most ignored appliance. Except for when I used as I learned to cook when I was out of the familial household and on my own.

College the little thing was a treasure and absolutely necessary!

Office years of toil behind the lines of legal research, etc. the 'wave gave a quickie meal of reheated leftovers for lunch or that occasional snack time urge for popcorn.

Now, it often boils water for my instant McCann's oatmeal or that spot of anytime tea.

Cooking? It seems to be that dirty little secret akin to admitting to using and enjoying Mrs. Dash! (no offense intended Soba :biggrin: )

So, what do you use yours for? What do you cook in it?

I'll fess up.

I will cook the ingredients for a homemade McMuffin breakfast meals of one scrambled egg, a piece of Canadian ham and one cheese slice (whatever I have on hand). I then run a knife around the edge and plop the gooey mass onto an already toasted English muffin. Yum. :smile:

I also love to cook rice in the microwave in one of my glazed ceramic Chantal lidded bowls. It is always a success and little rice is wasted, which is inevitably a super-glue strength mess at the bottom of a stainless steel pan using the stovetop method! I recommend it for anyone without a rice cooker!

Now it is your turn.... Maybe I'll learn something, try something different and new as I have with many other eG cooking threads. :raz:

Thanks!

Hmmm the massive duties of mine fall in the 'reheating leftovers and making hot beverages hot' categories. However, it coudl be said that it is used for _cooking_ in the following cases:

Softening butter for baking

Melting cheese onto things (then again, I should probably just use a broiler for this)

Microwave hot egg salad (spray the inside of a mug with non-stick something or other, crack a couple eggs into it, then a dollop of mayo, a toss of bacon chunks (cooked), some horseradish, maybe a hint of mustard and a dash of tabasco, plus salt and pepper. Stir it up well and cook for 20 second, take it out, stir again, put it back in for 15 seconds, stir it, back in for 12, stir, in for 10, stir, in for 10 again and repeat until it is a fluffy cooked egg salad mixture. IT sounds fairly disgusting I realize, but is fairly easy and actually quite tasty when you want a quick basic eats breakfast with no hassle).

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

I use it for heating; cooking, dunno?

In fact, just moments ago, I used it to melt butter to put on my Reuben sandwich for dinner. (Yum).

I often use the nuker to speed defrosting also.

But cooking? Does popcorn count??? :smile:

Edit: Drain Bamage

Edited by Human Bean (log)

Similar to the rice thing... if you ever have to actually deal with frozen vegetables I'm somewhat convinced a microwave is the way to go. :smile:

EDIT - actually is what I'm talking about really cooking? Maybe partially... at some point you are transitioning from defrosting to actual "warming", especially if you are using a covered dish of some type and getting a "steaming" effect too.

Edited by jhlurie (log)

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

I do use it to cook vegetables, especially cauliflower and broccoli. And this past week I had to make canapes for a gigantic party, and opted for a Barbara Kafka recipe that involves microwaved beef tenderloin. I know, sounds revolting, but in fact it was terrific -- the meat was juicy and flavorfull even when I mistimed one batch and pulled it out quite a bit past medium-rare. I also used it for a Kafka recipe for pork pate (less successful) and yet another Kafka recipe for apricot "chutney," which I found ass-achingly sweet, though folks at the party were squabbling over the leftovers. This was far and away the most cooking I've ever done in the microwave, and I gotta say, it was a real godsend. A helluva lot less mess and fuss than I would have had to deal with had I used my stove to make the same things, and -- aside from the pate, which I just chalk up to a mediocre recipe -- I don't think the stuff would have turned out any better.

Thanks for reminding me. I love squash. I've cooked/steamed a few spaghetti squashes, butternuts and acorns in the microwave.

I also need to correct the above wherein I stated I boil water for my McCann's oatmeal -- I use milk and let it just start to boil. I've even used it to "roast" up a few nuts (walnuts or pecans) in a pinch that I love to add to my same oatmeal morning constitutional regime during the colder months of the year.

You can cook in microwaves? :biggrin: I used to have a convection microwave and occassionallly would broil steaks in it when it was too yucky to bbq. Mostly these days, I use it for softening butter, starting my baked potatoes and re-heating things. Defrosting when I've forgotten to to take something out of the freezer in time.

Occassionally popcorn, although we now have a hot air popper so I use that more often than not.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

For a quick dinner I sometimes steam salmon in the microwave. It takes a few minutes and if you lower the power level you can control the heat and get medium rare with no trouble at all.

South Florida

I cook corn in the microwave--a couple of minutes per un-shucked ear, then quickly and gingerly shuck it and pick off all the silk.

I forgot, I do corn in the microwave too, although I shuck it first and wrap each in a paper towel.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Cooking unshucked corn is the best use of the microwave for me. The corn cooks and steams in its natural container. The taste is undiluted and its quick.

Other than that, it is ideal for reheating white castle hamburgers.

I use mine for many of the things mentioned above, defrosting and softening butter mostly. I also make granola in the microwave. It isn't as toasted as in the oven, obviously. But it is very good and I have yet to burn a batch which seemed to happen frequently with a convential oven.

Victoria Raschke, aka ms. victoria

Eat Your Heart Out: food memories, recipes, rants and reviews

Especially in the hot summer months, or even other times of the year when I want to save time (because my old oven takes a long time to preheat), I microwave-cook the following:

muffins and other quick breads in Pyrex bowls, with an optional browning under the broiler for aesthetics

bacon

lasagna and other casseroles in square Pyrex baking dish

stuffed green peppers

meatloaf, with a final browning under the broiler

"baked" potatoes and sweet potatoes

all sorts of vegetables: broccoli, cauiliflower, brussels sprouts, butternut squash, eggplant, spinach, green beans, etc., in a shallow amount of water to steam-cook

fries from potatoes cut in sticks and tossed in olive oil, parmesan cheese, and salt

hot fudge pudding cake

chocolate pudding

bread pudding

rice pudding

Edited by browniebaker (log)

Especially in the hot summer months, or even other times of the year when I want to save time (because my old oven takes a long time to preheat), I microwave-cook the following:

muffins and other quick breads in Pyrex bowls, with an optional browning under the broiler for aesthetics

bacon

lasagna and other casseroles in square Pyrex baking dish

stuffed green peppers

meatloaf, with a final browning under the broiler

"baked" potatoes and sweet potatoes

all sorts of vegetables: broccoli, cauiliflower, brussels sprouts, butternut squash, eggplant, spinach, green beans, etc., in a shallow amount of water to steam-cook

fries from potatoes cut in sticks and tossed in olive oil, parmesan cheese, and salt

hot fudge pudding cake

chocolate pudding

bread pudding

rice pudding

Wow.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I make s'mores in mine. Yeah, there's no smoky toasty taste, but the chocolate melts and the marshmallow has softened enough that I still enjoy them.

Believe me, I tied my shoes once, and it was an overrated experience - King Jaffe Joffer, ruler of Zamunda

Interesting thread... my microwave bit the dust last August, and I've not replaced it. I'm not sure if I even miss it, as I mostly used it to reheat things, which I now do on the stove, or in the oven. Can anyone give me a good reason to buy another one?

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

Of course I use it for the melting, popping, etc., but in terms of cooking I only use it for artichokes. Fast, easy, and the artichokes actually taste fresh and green as opposed to when you steam them.

Now I'll have to try it with corn. How long does it take?

Bacon. I was just saying the other day that I've decided I prefer microwave bacon to fried. I'll have my grandmother's skillet out frying up country ham, sausage, and eggs and I'll still microwave my bacon.

Other than bacon, popcorn, and occasionally softening/melting some butter my microwave gets very little use.

I do the usual warming coffee, softening butter, defrosting, etc.

There is one thing I WILL NOT do is rewarm or defrost meat. I live alone and there is no way you can do pulled pork or smoked chicken and such for one. I package the meat in fil packages and freeze. Then I put them in the De Longhi convection toaster oven to thaw and warm. There is jus something about defrosting and warming meat in the nuker that makes it taste funny to me.

Artichokes... check.

Asparagus... check. (Although I find that I roast it more often than not now.)

Brocolli and cauliflower... check.

Popcorn... check.

But there is only one real recipe that I do that the microwave does better than anything else. Microwave Fudge.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

For a quick dinner I sometimes steam salmon in the microwave. It takes a few minutes and if you lower the power level you can control the heat and get medium rare with no trouble at all.

You can actually do Chinese-style steamed fish in the microwave (just a regular one, I don't know about these fancy dual convection thingys).

Clean a couple of whole, small white fish (butterfish is the best!)

Cut some slits in the sides and sprinkle with a bit of salt and pepper (not too much since you will add soy sauce later)

Arrange fish in a dish on top of some microwavable chopsticks (wooden). Put a few tablespoons of water in the bottom of the dish, cover with plastic wrap, and nuke until done (start with about 3 or 4 minutes).

While the fish is nuking, pour a couple of tablespoons of neutral oil into a small saucepan with slices of gingerroot and scallions. Heat this till it's really hot and almost smoking.

When the fish is done, unwrap and pour the hot oil all over (this will produce the most satisfying sizzle). Top with a tablespoon or two of soy sauce. Enjoy!

I got this idea from Mario Batali on "Molto Mario":

On his show, Mario would have a pot of water/stock already boiling on a back burner and would add that to whatever he was cooking on the front burner.

When I am making something on the stove that needs to come to a boil, I will nuke the water (or stock, etc) in the microwave until it's hot and add that to the pot on the stove. It reaches the boiling point on the stove so much faster using this trick.

I can't believe I have only "discovered" this trick now after all these years of cooking.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I make a microwave peanut brittle.

1 cup granulated sugar

1/2 cup light corn syrup

1 cup peanuts (raw, preferably - but roasted would do in a pinch

1 tablespoon butter

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/8 teaspoon salt (exclude if using salted peanuts)

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Mix the peanuts, sugar and corn syrup in a large microwave safe bowl. Plastic obviously will not work. I use a big Pyrex measuring cup. Microwave on high for about 5 minutes, stirring once every minute. After 4-5 minutes, start checking for the hard crack stage (Drop a small amount of the hot sugar mixture into a cup of ice water. Wait a few seconds, fish out the drop, and check for hardness. The glob should hold its shape when finger pressure is applied) If not, microwave on high again for 45-60 seconds, checking for doneness again after each round.

Once you reach this stage, remove the cooking vessel from the microwave. Add the butter, vanilla extract and salt, then mix thouroughly. Add the baking soda and stir rapidly (Mixture should foam vigorously - Please use caution here, the sugar is still really hot. Pour out onto a baking sheet topped with parchment, Silpat, or wax paper, then cool.

After a couple of tries, you will know how long your microwave will take.

Edited to add - The reason you add the peanuts at the beginning is to reduce the chance of "exploding liquid" syndrome common to microwaves. If you are going to use already roasted nuts, save them until the last 30 seconds or so, but leave a wooden spoon or skewer in the mixture during the nuking process.

Edited by FistFullaRoux (log)
Screw it. It's a Butterball.