• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner with Mark

Florida Jim

It is a small chalet type residence, nestled in the deep forest. Mark has lived here for almost five years. Tonight there is a light fog and the humidity is palpable.

We are the first to arrive and, with Italian sausage and assorted cheeses, Mark chooses the 2001 Arano, Valpolicella Superiore. It is an easy quaff, with clear red fruit notes on the nose and a medium weight, fruit forward palate. It compliments the sausage and the cheeses well, although it is clearly a wine for drinking today.

With mussels with a sauce of reduced mussel liqueur with goat cheese and lobster coral:

2000 Luneau-Papin, Muscadet Clos des Allees:

No pairing could be more right. A delicious and complex wine on its own, the combination is sublime. Deeply flavored and almost fleshy with excellent cut and remarkable sustain, this wine is ideal with the food. Many years left in the cellar but I doubt there is anytime that this wine will disappoint.

With wild mushroom risotto:

1999 Dom. Dujac, Chambolle-Musigny:

Opened before its time, this wine shows oak and pure fruit when tasted without food. In the presence of the risotto, the wood is gone and the palate becomes more layered and shows greater depth. A wine in need of cellaring for another five years, this still gives more than a hint of what it will become. And the pairing was excellent.

With assorted cheeses:

1999 Savoye, Morgon, Cuvee Speciale Fut de Chene:

A wine of power and finesse with strong, pinot-esque flavors, a solid structure and no wood showing. For near or short term drinking but a wine many Burgundies wish they could emulate.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

Jim:

I'm waiting for the the day when I see the heading Dinner with "T"

Nice notes as always.

I like the fact that you often champion Cru Beaujolais. Most think of gamay as an afterthought. Cru Beaujolais is damn fine juice.

Cheers

Edited by "T" (log)

slowfood/slowwine

With wild mushroom risotto:

1999 Dom. Dujac, Chambolle-Musigny:

Opened before its time, this wine shows oak and pure fruit when tasted without food. In the presence of the risotto, the wood is gone and the palate becomes more layered and shows greater depth. A wine in need of cellaring for another five years, this still gives more than a hint of what it will become. And the pairing was excellent.

Love Dujac - Had a wonderful 2000 Gevrey Chambertin aux Combottes over the weekend.