• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate Fondue

tharrison

Thank you so much! I didn't think 10kg would be required!

Your 800 people must have been very light on the chocolate (I'm expecting to find a couple of children dipped in chocolate during the party!)!

We've organised a range of dipping things: marshmallows (of course), fruit (strawberries & melon) and dried fruit (apricots) ... and I'm going to make meringues and either mini-cupcakes or mini-muffins to dip as well.

Pretzels are really yummy! And shortbread cookies are really excellent. Cupcakes will definitely be too crumbly; angel food cake sometimes works, but only if it's well skewered so it doesn't fall part.

Caramel apples are fun; set out pre-coated slices to dip so you get caramel and chocolate in the same bite. Pineapple is good, too.

Oh, and a pile of napkins or wet-naps can be useful! :laugh:

• 1 year later...

Hello. I wonder if anyone has ideas, solutions or questions:

My friend here makes a chocolate fondue and jars it. She uses chocolate, invert sugar, and cream. In a few jars, but not on most, she has discovered mould forming, not on the chocolate fondue itself, but just above it under the lid but not on the lid.

I make a chocolate spread from Praline, chocolate and butter and have never had this happen. I promised her I would help her get to the bottom of this so any ideas are very welcome. SHe is very upset about this as a customer received one and now she doesn't know who else may have and why it is happening. COuld it be the use of cream? She said she heats, anddoes the upside thing- I am not exactly sure of her process. I can recheck that if need be.

Thank you!

• 1 year later...

My friends and I are going to have chocolate fondue to celebrate a birthday here at work. I've been put in charge of the chocolate. I think I am pretty clear on a recipe, but I have a couple of questions on heating that I didn't find addressed while reading this thread.

We are going to hold it in a slow-cooker for service - should be good for temperature control. However, I don't own a slow cooker myself, so I'm either going to have to make it in the slow cooker that morning or make it at home, chill it and then bring it in and re-heat it. I'd rather make it at home and re-heat only because it will give me an opportunity to test the flavor and consistancy before serving. Is that feasible? How solid will it likely be after chiliing if I you a 50/50 ratio of cream to chocolate with maybe a splash of liquor or espresso powder? Should it re-heat smoothly or will I have to really watch it?

Also, I am thinking light cream and bittersweet chocolate as we like darker chocolate here. Will that work well?