• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner at Melograno...

This was one of the first threads I read. Seeing the pictures Katie and those in the moving martini bar made me think what a bunch of neat people. I have to follow this webpage more closely.

I am ashamed to admit that traffic getting out of the city has gotten so bad that I don't stay around for dinner much like I used to.

I still want to get to this place.

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

Indeed traffic has gotten much worse, particularly when you get off 676 at the museum exit and head down 21st around 5:30!

It's worth a few extra minutes fighting the traffic though. I still really like this place a lot. I forgot to mention that we both really liked the portobella mushroom appetizer.

One of the things I like about this place is the limited menu. It's more similar to European places in that they generally have maybe 4 or 5 entrees on the menu as opposed to here where menus can read like novels sometimes.

Now that you've managed to resurrect this thread, my hopes for running for public office are surely dashed. The photo evidence alone is enough to challenge even Karl Rove's brilliance as a spinmeister.

I confess I've not had theopportunity to head back to Melograno since our debauchery was captured on film.

Anyone have a more recent report?

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Now that you've managed to resurrect this thread, my hopes for running for public office are surely dashed.  The photo evidence alone is enough to challenge even Karl Rove's brilliance as a spinmeister.

I confess I've not had theopportunity to head back to Melograno since our debauchery was captured on film.

On our debauchery?

With summer coming, I'm thinking we should pile into Carman's truck for another round of al fresco ala truck dining - Carman willing that is. Wonder what other no-reservation, long wait restaurants with a fire hydrant out front would put up with us?

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Had a nice meal there for two last night. They accept reservations Tuesdays through Thursdays, so we booked a slot, bought a Pinotage, and headed over.

The truffled mushroom pappardelle is still on the menu, and excellent. Ditto the bistecca fiorentina, though it's not very exciting: big meat on cool beans. So many things on the menu sounded good (quail with figs, pork with Savoy cabbage, ravioli with beets & mascarpone) we'll definitely be making repeat visits. A number of really tasty-sounding specials, too...

Cooking and writing and writing about cooking at the SIMMER blog

Pop culture commentary at Intrepid Media

Now that you've managed to resurrect this thread, my hopes for running for public office are surely dashed.  The photo evidence alone is enough to challenge even Karl Rove's brilliance as a spinmeister.

I confess I've not had the opportunity to head back to Melograno since our debauchery was captured on film.

You mean there's no room in the next administration for a Minister of Libations? Or a Doyenne of Debauchery? Now I've lost all interest in politics.

Pray tell, just WHERE are these incriminating images you reference, o Cocktail Queen?

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

Links to the original photos in Holly's post on page 1 are apparently broken. Don't know why. Lots of shots of us drinking cocktails in the back of Carmen's truck. Drunken pics that would quelch any attempt at appearing serious enough for politics.

An appointed position might be something else entirely. I think I like the sound of Potables Laureate. :wink:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

get there while you still can

word is that there lease is up in July and they aren't renewing!

They found a new spot..stay tuned

Confirmed by Michael Klein in Food and Drinq. They're moving to 2010 Sansom. No definite news on what will go in the current space, but Klein plants a chef David Katz rumor...

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

• 9 months later...

Made it to Melograno this past Sunday for the first time since their move to the new location.

We were smart to show up just after opening time - by 5:30 every table had been claimed, even in the new, larger space. It still lacks for much ambiance, but the food more than made up for it.

The warm, right-from-the-oven-tasting bread was a great opener. I had the evening's special appetizer, grilled langoustine, which was close it not quite as good as I remember enjoying in Venice on my last trip to Italy. But a great light starter. My sweetie had the artichoke and scallop dish, which I've had in the past and was just as tasty as before.

For entree, I went with the quail, and was glad I did. I'm not always a huge fan of "little birds" but absolutely loved this dish, with the sweetness of the stuffing a perfect match for the quail which didn't taste gamey in the slightest. Wonderfully deboned for easy eating, though I still had to gnaw every last bit of crunchy meat I could get from the bones. Sweetie had the Bisteak Florentine and asked for it to be prepared authentic Italian style - that is, as raw as possible, barely seared on the surface. It wasn't quite the buttery-smooth, honking huge chunk of meat we enjoyed in Florence in the past, but it was sufficiently rare and tasty, and our server quickly dashed out with a plate of lemon slices to accompany it on our request.

Dessert was an acceptable, if not extraordinary, chocolate cake. With coffee & espresso, total bill was just about $100 before tip. We left about 7pm without feeling as though we'd been rushed or hurried at all and found the service completely acceptable from the hostess on down, despite numerous complaints about their staff I keep seeing on-line. Oh well, if the place got any MORE popular I don't think we'd ever have a chance of getting in! So let the nay-sayers keep whining. I've yet to have anything close to a bad experience here.

sockii

| South Jersey Foodie |