• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wet Sugar

aliwaks

www.wetsugar.com

great name, it's simple sugar individually packaged iced coffee & tea

what do you think? Does it have legs?

"sometimes I comb my hair with a fork" Eloise

These are the only things that they use for cold drinks in Japan.....

They sell them in indivuidual sizes for use at home or in restaurants, though some restaurants set out a tiny pitcher with sugar syrup instead. They are packaeged in those little plastic thingies that coffee cream often comes in.

You can also buy them in bottles, small ones for home use and large ones for restaurant size.

Here are some pictures:

http://www.nakahyo.co.jp/products/gum_syru..._syrup-main.htm

and here is a handful I just pulled out of my refrigerator

i6397.jpg

Most of them are from McDonald's, they come with the iced tea, but I don't drink sweetened tea and I bring them home to use for my iced coffee.

:biggrin:

The popular ones now are those with only 1/2 the calories....

EDIT* by the way they are called gum sryup over here

Edited by torakris (log)

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I was actually in a coffeehouse recently that had squeeze type dispenser bottles of simple syrup at the conduiments counter - great idea. I didn't realize there were indivudual packets but that's brilliant for iced coffee and iced tea - I think that's an idea that has more than just legs - seems ready to root itself. It was only a few years ago that just a handful of coffeehouses had raw turbinado sugar - now it's a rare one that doesn't.

Wow! Thanks, new career path for me.

It's %100 natural sugar not corn syrup (yuck corn syrup), the ones from japan are so cute (but then again all japanese packaging is, i love it so much)

ours look more like ketchup packets, nicer places make thier own simple syrup (some even with vanilla beasn whichi is so nice) but I though maybe these would work at place that don't have the time or inclination to do so.

Also works really well in a cappuchino & espresso (though personally I like the granulated sugar in the bottom of an espresso, its like dessert)

please do ask for them at you local and tell them where to get it.

"sometimes I comb my hair with a fork" Eloise

Hey Ali! Where've you been? Haven't seen you...:sad:

New career path? Are you marketing said packets? Just curious...

For the record, we do the little pitchers of simple syrup with our iced tea here at Rouge. Customers seem to really like that.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Gramercy Tavern does the same thing. It's a very nice touch - when I see it I know that the restaurant most likely has their act together on a number of levels, particularly relating to customer service.

Just curious, Katie - are you doing anything special or particular for coffee service at Rouge?

Gramercy Tavern does the same thing. It's a very nice touch - when I see it I know that the restaurant most likely has their act together on a number of levels, particularly relating to customer service.

Just curious, Katie - are you doing anything special or particular for coffee service at Rouge?

Thanks for the props Owen. :blush: I wish I could take credit for it being my idea. :biggrin:

Our coffee is supplied by La Colombe. We grind right before brewing each pot directly into an air pot to keep it hot. During brunches the turnover is so quick it wouldn't really matter though...

We purchase our loose teas from House of Tea and do French press pot tea service. We also brew our own iced tea which is Raspberry-Passionfruit flavored. We get that from a different purveyor though.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys

We have a product here in jamaica that we also call wet sugar,nothing hi tech as the japanese version but it has been around for the last 70 years or possibly longer

the products is actually pulled of the sugar cooking line right before it reaches molasses state somewhere between dark brown sugar and molasses, the consistencyit is almost like a jar of brown sugar with a small amount of water added.We use it in jamaica to make Easter buns and a drink called wet sugar lemonade or limeade.

The product is only done by a handful of old time sugar workers that still have access to the governments boiling facilities. I hope you guys dont mind my 2 cents just a little info on a different type of wet sugar.

Regards

Gariel Ferguson

Norma's at The Marina

Port Antonio, Jamaica

You can buy liquid cane sugar (original or organic), turbinado or free sugar at sugarshots. I've also seen it at Wm-Sonoma.

I have some of the original & turbinado. Very handy to have for iced tea, coffee, drinks, etc. Anywhere you would use simple syrup.

N.

"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali