• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

WTN:WTF?

tanabutler

Why do so many of these WTN posts seem like classified ads, if not outright advertisements from someone who might be involved in the sale of the wines? I'm suspicious. I'm sure I must be missing something.

Also, why aren't prices included (in many of them)? WTF?

:blink:

I would have to severely disagree with your opinion of the tasting notes you see here. To me they are clearly thoughtful attempts on the part of these tasters to communicate their impressions of these wines. I find them helpful and interesting and not at all like the stiff blurbs that marketing companies slap on their back labels and promo materials.

I not only welcome, but encourage our members to post their wine tasting notes as they enrich the environment of the Wine Forum and are a great assistance to others thinking of purchasing these wines.

Listing pricing is always a good idea and a helpful guide.

Price information isn't always readily available, especially on older wines that have been stored awhile, and then it isn't necessarily pertinent anymore anyway.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Price information isn't always readily available, especially on older wines that have been stored awhile, and then it isn't necessarily pertinent anymore anyway.

I don't know - I always like mentioning that the 78 Gaja we just tasted cost me $12 a bottle - in 1981. It may not be pertinent, but it's fun. :wink:

You either are more organized have a better memory than I or both :laugh: Besides, that price is just rubbing it in :raz:

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Why do so many of these WTN posts seem like classified ads, if not outright advertisements from someone who might be involved in the sale of the wines? I'm suspicious. I'm sure I must be missing something.

I think there is a tendency to either pull punches or not post at all on wines that don't show well. This results the majority of notes posted here and elsewhere tend to emphasize the positive experiences. Personally I find both positive and negative notes to be useful.

BP

"I'm trying to think but nothing happens"

Nearly all of the notes posted here are from people who do not shill for the wine they are writing about. Bill also has a point about peole not wanting to rip a wine, so they just won't post at all. (I don't suffer from that affliction, personally, but I can understans others not wanting to post those notes).

Regarding prices, some posters include them and some don't. I know some people who don't like to post prices because they don't want whoever might find out to know how much they've spent on certain bottles of wine. Others are okay with it.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

Surely adverts for wine would always carry price information on a forum such as this. First you suggest hidden motives behind tasting notes, but then you go on to criticise people for not including price information. The two don't go together IMHO.

I think tatsing notes generally reflect the pleasure someone has experienced in a wine, hence negative tasting notes are uncommon - unless it is something unusual with the wine which deserves comment.

BWs

Chris Kissack

I write tasting notes on the majority of wine that I drink. I'm not a vendor, only a consumer, and I simply want to share my experiences with other wine lovers. I find it interesting to compare notes with other people, especially to get and understanding of how their palate aligns to mine. Face it - it's impossible to drink every wine available on the market. If I find that my preferences are similar to other people on the forum, I'm more likely to buy a bottle that they enjoyed.

I sometimes post the prices for the wines I tasted; other times not. The fact is that some of the notes I write are from trade tastings, and I really don't feel like looking up the price at the LCBO or the wine is only available by consignment through and importer which means I would have to call them to get the price.