• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jewish Apple Cake

We'll have a tasting of Jewish Apple Cakes at the next meeting of the Saturday Morning Breakfast Club. Meeting will May 15, 9:30 a.m. at the Reading Terminal Market behind the Beer Garden.

Anyone who eats is welcome to attend.

If you'd like to bring or bake a cake for tasting, coordinate with Michael Holahan at michaelh@winstarmail.com.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

Even though I live in Atlanta and make my own Jewish Apple Cake in the fall, I am tempted to join you!

Quick question: is there also an Episcopalian Apple Cake available? :laugh:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

OK- so I moved from NYC to the South Jersey Shore and all of the Philly people talk about Jewish Apple Cake- what is Jewish about it? In NY- it is just called

Apple Cake. I've heard several reasons including the fact that most recipes don't contain dairy and therefore Kosher Jews can serve it after a meat meal. I also heard that the recipe originated from German Jewish Immigrants- does anyone know the story behind the name? I can't make the cake tasting- but would love to meet you all at another breakfast event- please keep me posted. Or- if anyone spends time down the shore in the summer (AC and south)- let me know- maybe we can have an egullet event.

Helen Kimmel

There are apparently other geographic areas where it's called Jewish Apple Cake beyond Philadelphia, but no doubt about it, that's the established moniker here.

Episcopalian apple cake? Must be one that doesn't have many apples or much cinnamon. Everything in exceedingly modest proportions, everything in moderation, nothing to excess.

Robert's Market Report

Episcopalian apple cake? Must be one that doesn't have many apples or much cinnamon. Everything in exceedingly modest proportions, everything in moderation, nothing to excess.

My thoughts exactly ... demure and pristine ... :biggrin:

Jewish apple cake, on the other hand, rocks! Full of sugar and eggs and oil and raisins and hefty chunks of apple .. all bountifully bestowed upon the individual fressing with abandonment and joy!! :laugh:

Too much is never enough!! That is how I cook, anyway...

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

So does Jewish Apple Cake have lots of sadness, self-loathing, messy kids?

Maybe Mazel tov written on top?

Okay, let me step out of firing range.

Actually I don't know that those might be Jewish characteristics.

The sadness part is more Russian, at least to me. Don't know where I got self-loathing from.

Messy kids is just from personal experience in Chinese restaurants.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

I never knew there was such a thing as jewish apple cake, my grandmother made an apple cake but it was just that.

I had her recipe written on the edge of a cookbook called Love & Knishes but it had no instructions just a list of ingredients, I wanted to make some for my brother since it was his favorite cake.

I tried all these recipes and they came out great but were nothing like Bella's then I started to think like her, I didn't separate the eggs, vaguely measured the flour, I used less sugar than they asked for, squeezed in some extra lemon juice and added plums (sometimes she used blueberries) to the apples and it came out exactly like hers

dense & fruity not very sweet great with vanilla ice cream.

"sometimes I comb my hair with a fork" Eloise

I tried all these recipes and they came out great but were nothing like Bella's then I started to think like her, I didn't separate the eggs, vaguely measured the flour,  I used less sugar than they asked for, squeezed in some extra lemon juice and added plums (sometimes she used blueberries) to the apples and it came out exactly like hers

dense & fruity not very sweet great with vanilla ice cream.

Bring it to the Breakfast Club a week from Saturday!

Robert's Market Report

OK- so I moved from NYC to the South Jersey Shore and all of the Philly people talk about Jewish Apple Cake- what is Jewish about it? In NY- it is just called

Apple Cake. I've heard several reasons including the fact that most recipes don't contain dairy and therefore Kosher Jews can serve it after a meat meal. I also heard that the recipe originated from German Jewish Immigrants- does anyone know the story behind the name? I can't make the cake tasting- but would love to meet you all at another breakfast event- please keep me posted. Or- if anyone spends time down the shore in the summer (AC and south)- let me know- maybe we can have an egullet event.

we moved from nyc the jersey shore also (exit 98). we also called it apple cake....had the jewish apple cake last year made by a mom from PHILLY...has to be a philly thing..i will research this more