• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Per Se Fire, Reopening, Rescheduling

ellenesk

The question remains - what should the restaurant do (if anything) for the people who lost reservations? In my opinion, each should receive a copy of Keller's new book (signed).

He has a new book out?

Chris Sadler

The question remains - what should the restaurant do (if anything) for the people who lost reservations? In my opinion, each should receive a copy of Keller's new book (signed).

He has a new book out?

Yeah, didn't you know? :wacko:

Pure Limitless Energy!: How to Get and Keep It

He's also an expert on Angels: The Lifting of the Veil.

and a German tome on John F. Kennedy

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Edited by Carolyn Tillie (log)

He has a new book out?

From what I read, he has a new cookbook coming out late summer/early fall.

Edited by rich (log)

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

I don't understand the notion that those with reservations bumped due to the fire are "owed" anything. And yes, I realize that plenty of people scheduled trips from elsewhere to eat at Per Se. But the bottom line is that the restaurant is closed due to circumstances beyond their control. I'm sure everyone on the restaurant side would much rather be serving you food than sitting on their behinds right now.

Just my two cents. Take it for what it's worth.

I don't understand the notion that those with reservations bumped due to the fire are "owed" anything.  And yes, I realize that plenty of people scheduled trips from elsewhere to eat at Per Se.  But the bottom line is that the restaurant is closed due to circumstances beyond their control.

I agree! All the more reason to be appreciative of the fact that Per Se will try to reschedule those of us who have reservations.

The last thing I need is another cookbook...

I don't think the restaurant "owes" the public anything either. I was looking at it from a pure public relations standpoint. It would be a great way to get some good press and cost next to nothing.

Since the fire, their image has suffered. What was supposed to be a two-week blip has turned into at least two months. Showing your appreciation to the public is always beneficial. It's an investment that would be returned a hundred fold.

Trying to re-schedule two months worth of reservations would be a logistical nightmare. But if they can accomplish it, all the more power to them.

I realize that a lot of people will say this restaurant doesn't need to worry about PR and they will fill the house no matter what they do. True, but it never hurts to show a kinder/gentler side.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

But therein lies the challenge: to eat at Per Se after the opening day kinks have been worked out (and the smoke has cleared) but before Keller goes back to Napa.

I hope, and predict, that will not be a consideration. If his lifelong commitment to perfectionism is any indicator, Keller has too much integrity as a chef to go back to Napa or reopen French Laundry one minute before he is certain that his absence from Per Se will be completely and utterly undetectable on the plate.

One assumes, also, that like Ducasse he will travel back and forth often. But, ultimately, a successful restaurant kitchen is about delegation. The chef, for the most part, cooks nothing during meal service. Moreover, in most restaurant kitchens, it is a sous-chef or expediter who works the pass and gives the final okay on every dish. The chef's job has to be essentially completed before the meal service starts -- otherwise he's likely to be a failure as a chef. Opening two restaurants simply adds an additional layer of delegation to an already delegated structure. A chef worth his mettle can make that happen without any loss of quality, creativity, or spontaneity. I'm certain that these considerations have been foremost in Keller's mind all along, and that he has done everything imaginable to make certain that the delegation is effective and that nobody will be able to accuse him of "spreading himself too thin."

And I'm actually looking forward to seeing what Jonathan Benno does once the restaurant establishes a clientele of repeat customers and it comes time to cook off-menu for them. When I first met Jonathan, he was the line cook at Gramercy Tavern responsible for putting out the foie gras and several other difficult dishes -- he worked the hardest station in the kitchen. Later, I had some good discussions with him when I was working on a piece for Gotham that featured Tom Colicchio's three most promising sous chefs: Marco Canora, Matt Seeber, and Jonathan Benno. These are three names that will, as the next generation of chefs comes to prominence, become household names in the gourmet community. Most young cooks aren't secure enough in their own thinking to argue with journalists, but Benno had no such reservations: when he disagreed with me -- and he disagreed with me on a lot of things -- he said so, slowly, carefully, and articulately.

Of the three, Benno was always the dogged perfectionist. He had worked at French Laundry and bought into the Keller idealism about food and kitchens, his cuts were the straightest of all the cooks, his stoicism during meal service no matter how deep in the weeds the kitchen was earned him the nickname (always behind his back) "iceman," and he was tremendously respected by everyone who worked with him. I've long had a fondness for him and his great attitude and even greater skill, but wondered if there could ever be a restaurant in New York that would live up to his ideal.

And then the mountain came to Mohammed. In 2000 or 2001 when the rumblings about Keller's New York project started, I don't think there was any question in anybody's mind that there was one guy in all of New York who was the inevitable choice for the chef-de-cuisine position: Jonathan Benno. If anybody can do Keller as well as Keller, it's Benno. With him in the kitchen executing Keller's vision, I feel that we're safe.

thnaks for all of this info. I was just getting ready to try and get reservations at Per Se - planning all the way ahead to my sister's birthday in mid-Sept.

I am looking forward to it even more now. :smile:

Too bad that all the people who know

how to run the country are busy driving

taxicabs and cutting hair.

--George Burns

My guess is that they will have a day or so for people whose reservations got burned by the fire to reschedule before opening it to the public at large. They have essentially promised an opportunity to reschedule for those who have lost out. To do otherwise now, would generate negative publicity IMO. Besides that, given Keller's perfectionism, I cannot envision him going back on that.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Since the fire, their image has suffered. What was supposed to be a two-week blip has turned into at least two months. Showing your appreciation to the public is always beneficial. It's an investment that would be returned a hundred fold.

I realize that a lot of people will say this restaurant doesn't need to worry about PR and they will fill the house no matter what they do. True, but it never hurts to show a kinder/gentler side.

I don't see how Per Se or Keller's image has suffered or why he owes the public anything. The restaurant has suffered more than its potential diners have.

In your original post on this, you said the restaurant should give a copy of its new book ot those who lost reservations. Why? If the answer is because it's good public relations, then Ducasse, Boulud, Vongerichten and Ripert should be giving out free books along with a host of other chefs.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

I would not be thrilled at the prospect of spending another four hours on the phone hitting the redial button, but I do honestly believe that this was a situation out of their control. So I would if I had too.

This past Sunday I drove down to the Time Warner building, and took some family photos in front of the blue door. And the security guard took one look at us and walked away. :biggrin: My wife is now convinced that I just wanted to see the blue door. Nah, not me. :blink:

Robert R

I don't see how Per Se or Keller's image has suffered or why he owes the public anything. The restaurant has suffered more than its potential diners have.

In your original post on this, you said the restaurant should give a copy of its new book ot those who lost reservations. Why? If the answer is because it's good public relations, then Ducasse, Boulud, Vongerichten and Ripert should be giving out free books along with a host of other chefs.

Again, I don't think Per Se owes the public anything!

It's just good business sense to show the public you care. Per Se is a destination place and some people made intricate plans based on their reservation. While the fire is no one's fault, these "customers" were inconvenienced. A copy of the book costs nothing (relatively) and is a token of appreciation - just is good business 101.

Per Se's (not Keller's) image has suffered because of the "two weeks" that was quoted in several publications. Better to have not given a time frame then an incorrect one - especially one that was off by so much.

On this board alone, there were posts hoping their "date" would occur. Then the disappointment when the cancellation call came.

Once again - the restaurant and/or Keller owes the public nothing. But some small "something" goes a long way perception wise. And we all know perception is infinitely more important then reality.

Rich Schulhoff

Again, I don't think Per Se owes the public anything!

It's just good business sense to show the public you care. Per Se is a destination place and some people made intricate plans based on their reservation. While the fire is no one's fault, these "customers" were inconvenienced. A copy of the book costs nothing (relatively) and is a token of appreciation - just is good business 101.

Per Se's (not Keller's) image has suffered because of the "two weeks" that was quoted in several publications. Better to have not given a time frame then an incorrect one - especially one that was off by so much.

On this board alone, there were posts hoping their "date" would occur. Then the disappointment when the cancellation call came.

Once again - the restaurant and/or Keller owes the public nothing. But some small "something" goes a long way perception wise. And we all know perception is infinitely more important then reality.

I don't think Per Se's image has suffered at all. I think its still the restaurant that everyone wants to go to. I think people are dissapointed that its not open right now, but that they are patiently waiting for it to reopen. I haven't heard anyone say that their opinion of the place has changed.

Mike

The Dairy Show

Special Edition 3-In The Kitchen at Momofuku Milk Bar

I don't think Per Se's image has suffered at all.  I think its still the restaurant that everyone wants to go to.  I think people are dissapointed that its not open right now, but that they are patiently waiting for it to reopen.  I haven't heard anyone say that their opinion of the place has changed.

I disagree. I think its "image" has suffered. And that's only natural. It's human nature to look negatively at something if false information is given to the public. Even if the "two weeks" statement was just an innocent error of judgement (and I believe it was) the public (unfortunately) and the media (even more unfortunate) always look for "conspiracy" theories. It's that horrible perception thing again.

I don't think anyone's "opinion" of the place has changed because this has nothing to do with food (and it was only open five days anyway), it has to do with handling a crisis situation.

Edited by rich (log)

Rich Schulhoff

Rich, I tend to think they really hoped they would be able to reopen in two weeks and don't deserve any blame for the fact that it's taken longer. Had they known they would have been closed longer, I'm positive they wouldn't have mentioned the two-week figure.

Michael aka "Pan"

I disagree. I think its "image" has suffered. And that's only natural. It's human nature to look negatively at something if false information is given to the public. Even if the "two weeks" statement was just an innocent error of judgement (and I believe it was) the public (unfortunately) and the media (even more unfortunate) always look for "conspiracy" theories. It's that horrible perception thing again.

I'm sure nobody will ever use the folks at Per Se as construction estimators again. :smile: But since they're only claiming to be restaurateurs, I think everyone is willing to cut them some slack in this respect but you.

Anybody who views Per Se negatively on account of an accidental fire or overly optimistic re-opening estimates is a customer the restaurant is better off without. The media and the public aren't Per Se's customers; Per Se's customers represent a tiny segment of the population where most everybody is sophisticated enough not to care about any of this. The only thing Per Se could do to piss off its core customers would be to tell them their reservations aren't going to be given priority in rescheduling. And nobody at Per Se is dumb enough to try that.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

The only thing Per Se could do to piss off its core customers would be to tell them their reservations aren't going to be given priority in rescheduling. And nobody at Per Se is dumb enough to try that.

As one of those people who had reservations I concur. No need for any gifts or anything like that. Maybe a "thank you for your patience and support", that's all.

Bill Russell

I guess I need to clarify my point and position once more.

Personally, I don't hold Pe Se/Keller or anyone else involved in the restaurant accountable for the fire or how long it's taking to re-open. I am looking at this from a PR standpoint alone and a NYC PR standpoint at that (having worked in the industry for the last 30 years).

Everyone understands how the media operates. Already there have been inuendos regarding the "seriousness of the fire" et al. All organizations have in place what is called a "Crisis Management" scenario. It outlines what to do in case of the "unforeseen." The purpose is to make sure nothing is unforeseen and that the organization comes off credible in times of crisis. It's supposed to give the public and media a sense of composure with regard to management.

The individual who used the "two weeks" obviously didn't read the CM manual. You always give a longer timeframe not a shorter. And then coming in ahead of schedule makes you look good. It's all about perception.

From a PR standpoint and from that view alone, Per Se's image has suffered - not in my mind or probably not in the mind of anyone on this board. However, this board isn't the public at large or the media. While I totally understand that Per Se's clientele is just a miniscule portion of the public, there are people in that percentage who aren't quite as sophisticated as this board.

Per Se will be a success not matter what happens, whether they make a token gesture or not, whether they make an attempt to honor the cancelled reservations or not.

All I was suggesting is offering a small token of appreciation to those who were inconvenienced by the closing. If I was in charge of their PR, that's what I would do. The amount of books would total less than 1,000 and probably cost less than $10,000. It's a small price to pay for some very good publicity.

I hope that clarifies my position.

Edited by rich (log)

Rich Schulhoff

The only thing Per Se could do to piss off its core customers would be to tell them their reservations aren't going to be given priority in rescheduling. And nobody at Per Se is dumb enough to try that.

As one of those people who had reservations I concur. No need for any gifts or anything like that. Maybe a "thank you for your patience and support", that's all.

Mebbe a "Per Se Had To Reschedule My Reservation And All I got Was This Lousy Linen Napkin With This Lousy Slogan Printed On It."

Or not. :rolleyes:

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Mebbe a "Per Se Had To Reschedule My Reservation And All I got Was This Lousy Linen Napkin With This Lousy Slogan Printed On It."

Or not. :rolleyes:

Excellent Jin, excellent!!! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Rich Schulhoff

Well, my April 17 reservation just got cancelled. Looks like they won't be opening until May and will start calling to reschedule next week. Since I live in the bay area, looks like I'm more likely to be going next to The French Laundry when it opens, then Per Se.

Well, my April 17 reservation just got cancelled. Looks like they won't be opening until May and will start calling to reschedule next week. Since I live in the bay area, looks like I'm more likely to be going next to The French Laundry when it opens, then Per Se.

When they call to rescedule, see if they will "trade" a Per Se reservation for a French Lundry reservation.

Bill Russell