• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

WTN

dlc

At dinner last nite:

1993 Romanee St Vivant DRC

In need of more time in bottle. There was a mouthful of lush red fruit with still unresolved tannins as a strong backbone. The wonderful Pinot aroma came through on the nose with a smattering of pencil shaving aroma. As this opened up during the course of the dinner, the tannins softened and the fruit came back to the fore.

1988 Richbourg Anne & Francoise Gros

This is why there is all the fuss about Burgundies and Pinot Noirs. A bottle at its peak. A wonderful aroma of pinot noir with a faintly flowery (violets?) undertone. A hedonistic mouthful of lush grapey, minerally, leathery flavors. This was a perfect accompaniment to grilled halibut with haricot verts and St. Andre mac & cheese.

Both bottles bought on release and stored in my cellar. I don't have the prices I paid where I am now.