• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

WTN: Recent Australia Wines

futronic

2001 d'Arenberg The Galvo Garage

McLaren Vale, Australia

66% Cabernet Sauvignon, 20% Merlot, 14% Cabernet Franc.

Medium garnet/purple colour. Aromas of blackcurrant, maraschino cherries, vanilla, and herbs. Medium-full bodied. Tart, with tobacco and red fruits. Short finish, ~ 15s. 82 points (03/28/2004).

2001 d'Arenberg The Ironstone Pressings

McLaren Vale, Australia

Grenache, Shiraz, Mouvedre blend.

Medium ruby to rim. Aromas of cherries, raspberry, cola. Medium-full bodied. Tart, with rootbeer, cherry, raspberry, and oak. Moderate, tart finish. Needs time. I've never been a fan of this wine from d'Arenberg. 84 points (03/28/2004).

2000 Chateau Reynella Basket Pressed Cabernet Sauvignon

McLaren Vale, Australia

Medium-dark garnet colour. Aromas of tomato stems, tobacco, and hints of black fruit. Full-bodied; palate follows from nose. Simple wine with a short finish. 82 points (03/28/2004).

2000 Chateau Reynella Basket Pressed Shiraz

McLaren Vale, Australia

Deep garnet/purple colour. Aromas of cranberry, cassis, eucalyptus, vanilla. Full-bodied with crushed black fruits, cranberries, and a hint of spice at the back. Moderate finish, ~30-40s. Needs time. 88 points (03/28/2004).

2001 Barossa Valley Estate Ebenezer Cabernet Sauvignon/Merlot

Barossa Valley, Australia

Medium garnet colour. Aromas of vanilla and maraschino cherry. Meidum-bodied; hollow on palate with a hot, moderate-short finish, ~20s. 80 points (03/28/2004).

2001 Barossa Valley Estate Spires Shiraz

Barossa Valley, Australia

Medium ruby red colour. Aromas of stewed cherries, crushed red berry fruit. Medium-full bodied with cherries, pepper, candied citrus rind, alcohol, and oak. Short finish, ~15s. 84 points (03/28/2004).

2001 Hardys Bankside Cabernet Sauvignon

Adelaide, Australia

Medium-dark garnet colour. Aromas of black crushed fruits, mint. Medium-full bodied with black fruit replays and eucalyptus. Moderate finish with herbaceous and coffee notes. 86 points (03/28/2004).

2002 Hardys Oomoo Shiraz

McLaren Vale, Australia

Currently only available in Australia, it will be released in Ontario in late 2004. The Oomoo label is 150 years old. Oomoo is a word from the Dieyerie tribe of Central Australia, signifying ‘good’, ‘nice’, ‘pleasant to the eye’

Dark garnet/purple colour. Aromas of black crushed fruit, vanilla, cassis, moss, eucalyptus, and orange blossoms. Medium-full bodied with cherries, raspberry, blackberry, and oak. Moderate finish, ~30s, with oak and coffee. 88 points (03/28/2004).

2000 d'Arenberg d'Arry's Original

McLaren Vale, Australia

Shiraz, Grenache blend.

Opaque garnet with purple tinges. Aromas of raspberry, cassis, and mocha. Medium-full bodied with coffee and replays from nose. Dry finish with raspberries and slight alcohol. 86 points (03/28/2004).

1998 d'Arenberg The Dead Arm Shiraz

McLaren Vale, Australia

Deep garnet/purple. Aromas of vanilla, cassis, raspberry, graphite, liquid black licorice, brown sugar. Full-bodied elegant wine, slightly closed, but can sort out black fruits and graphite from behind the wall of tannin. Short finish. Only decanted for 20 minutes, which is not nearly enough. Let this one sleep for many more years. Not rated (03/28/2004).

Nah, look at all his recent notes. Futronic either hates everything, is a tough critic, or is in a dry spell. :laugh:

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

lol. The majority of these wines were at one tasting. One of two things can be the culprit:

First, there were a lot of lower priced offerings that are going to get a low score regardless.

Secondly, anything that should really have been a "wow" wine, wasn't decanted, and needed more bottle age to show better. Again, this resulted in a low score.

Not much I can do about things like this - take for example the '98 Dead Arm Shiraz that should have had 3+ hours in a decanter or another 5+ years in a cellar. Who decants this wine for 20 minutes and actually expects it to show well?

:wacko:

Futronic,

I think your scores are pretty close for me, but I am wondering if you didn't like them very much, was it worth going to the effort to document them all?

A meal without wine is... well, erm, what is that like?

Scott,

I do think it was worth the time to write notes. I keep all of my notes in a database, so I can search for them later. It's prevented me from buying a bottle I didn't enjoy previously on more than one occasion.

As for sharing these notes with others, I think it's just as important to prevent other people from making a similar mistake, assuming palates align.

I just tried an Australian wine that I really liked...

it was an Elderton Syrah Tantalus...really unobtrusive, full flavor, slightly sweet...it was just my steez...

just in case you were wondering what to buy this weekend

"Make me some mignardises, &*%$@!" -Mateo

Scott,

I do think it was worth the time to write notes. I keep all of my notes in a database, so I can search for them later. It's prevented me from buying a bottle I didn't enjoy previously on more than one occasion.

As for sharing these notes with others, I think it's just as important to prevent other people from making a similar mistake, assuming palates align.

fair enough, as I said I think I certainly agree your notes on these wines.

A meal without wine is... well, erm, what is that like?

Is there a possibility for prices ?

Andre Suidan

I was taught to finish what I order.

Life taught me to order what I enjoy.

The art of living taught me to take my time and enjoy.

As an Australian I'm really disappointed that d'Arenberg seems to be being pushed at the moment, I noticed this while I was in NJ and NY last month. South Australia has soooooooooo many great wineries that out do this one it makes you wonder about how the others are marketing their product.

TRY:

Annie's Lane

Leasingham

Taylors

Jim Barry's

Penfolds

Olssens

Good solid, great tasting wines.

Cheers

Tom

I want food and I want it now

2001 d'Arenberg The Galvo Garage, $25CAD

2001 d'Arenberg The Ironstone Pressings, $50CAD

2000 Chateau Reynella Basket Pressed Cabernet Sauvignon, $30CAD

2000 Chateau Reynella Basket Pressed Shiraz, $30CAD

2001 Barossa Valley Estate Ebenezer Cabernet/Merlot, $38CAD

2001 Barossa Valley Estate Spires Shiraz, ~ $17CAD

2001 Hardys Bankside Cabernet Sauvignon, $17CAD

2002 Hardys Oomoo Shiraz, $40CAD when released next year

2000 d'Arenberg d'Arry's Original, $19CAD

1998 d'Arenberg The Dead Arm Shiraz, $35CAD on release 3 years ago; currently unavailable in Ontario for purchase.

Thank you,

Tom,

I agree on the choices in general namely Annie's Lane and Leasingham.

May add the:

Ruthberry Estate,

Robertson's Well

Baily's Block Shiraz 1920

Mamre Brook

Caberent Sauvignon Mildara

Magieri of McLaren Vale

Mount Helen

Mount Ida

and Yarra Ridge.

All are reasonably priced and worth drinking.

The comments about some of the wines being drunk too young are correct.

The Chateau Reynella I am enjoying now is 1996 and I am enjoying evey drop.

Andre Suidan

I was taught to finish what I order.

Life taught me to order what I enjoy.

The art of living taught me to take my time and enjoy.