• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

WTN: Recent German Riesling

futronic

2001 Karl Joh. Molitor Riesling Kabinett Feinherb

Rheingau, Germany

Pale yellow colour. Floral aromas of honey, honeysuckle, petrol, and apricot. Dry, with decent acidity. Medium-full bodied with lemon, apple, and white flowers. Slightly tart. Moderate finish, ~30s. 86 points (03/28/2004).

2002 Aylur Kupp Riesling Kabinett QmP

Mosel-Saar-Ruwer, Germany

Pale colour, almost clear. Aromas of honey, Asian spice, tropical fruit. Medium-full bodied with lemon and white pepper. Short finish. 81 points. (03/28/2004).

2002 Dr. Pauly-Bergweiler Riesling Spatlese Bernkasteler Badstube

Sweet nose with honey and white flowers. Full-bodied with lemon, apricot, and honey replays. Medium sweetness. Short finish, ~ 15-20s. Good acidity to offset sweetness. 87 points (03/28/2004).

2002 Pieroth Riesling Auslese Dorscheimer Pittermannchen

Pale yellow/clear colour. Aromas of petrol, white flower, flint. Medium-sweet, full-bodied wine. Good acidity with honey, apricot and lychee fruit. Long finish, ~40-45s, with honey replays. 88 points (03/28/2004).

I'm not trying to give your reviews a hard time but the following review has me baffled.

"2002 Pieroth Riesling Auslese Dorscheimer Pittermannchen

Pale yellow/clear colour. Aromas of petrol, white flower, flint. Medium-sweet, full-bodied wine. Good acidity with honey, apricot and lychee fruit. Long finish, ~40-45s, with honey replays. 88 points (03/28/2004). "

How can you give any points to wine that has aroma of petrol? -Dick

For the same reasons that I give points to a Barolo that has a tar aroma to it.

It's just what I smell. To be honest, it's not the first time I've come across aromas of petrol on a Riesling or Gewurztraminer, particular from France and Germany.

Petrol is a very characteristic aroma of riesling, especially Germans. It doesn't normally start to appear until the wine is a bit older than this one, when this characteristic slowly replaces the citrusy character of the young wine.

Because of this very distinct taste and aroma people tend to either love or hate mature rieslings.

I had a few bottles of Karthuserhofberg (Tyrell) from Eitelsbach, Mosel-Saar-Roher. Both 0.750 L and Magnum's of 1989, 1991 & 1993. All had (and still have)that distinct aroma of petrol, and are great wines.

"Eat every meal as if it's your first and last on earth" (Conrad Rosenblatt 1935)

http://foodha.blogli.co.il/

For the same reasons that I give points to a Barolo that has a tar aroma to it.

It's just what I smell.  To be honest, it's not the first time I've come across aromas of petrol on a Riesling or Gewurztraminer, particular from France and Germany.

"Petrol" is a classic descriptor for for a certain reisling aroma. I'm sure what's so controversial here. Does the wine really taste like petrol?? No -- the real taste of petrol is the nasty painful feeling of chemical burns. But, as with many wine tastes, we don't really have the language to describe the sensations, so we do the best we can. "Petrol" is a classic descriptor for reisling; some like wines with this aroma, some don't. "Vinyl" is often used for the too-chemical-smelling version of this scent.

--- Lee

Seattle

Well, "Petrol," or more like "Diesel" is the aroma I get from great German and Alsatian Rieslings.. I anticipate the aroma, and believe me, it's not a drawback in the slightest.

What's more peculier to me is the absence of that aroma in most California and Washington rieslings. They have, in some cases, almost no bouquet at all!

As far as I know, only Riesling has this peculier bouquet- I NEVER get it from anything else, and certainly never from a Gewurztraminer nor Auxerrois (the aromas from those two particular grapes are worth analyzing here at some point)...

I will also add that a lot of Australian Rieslings carry the same wonderful aromas as its Alsatian and German cousins...

C.R.

aka "Greg Koetting"

• 1 month later...

Mitchell Watervale Riesling is a fine Australian example.

Re: the Ayler Kupp review. If you think this is an 81-point wine, I'd better run out and buy your other recommendations! I had this a week ago and am still thinking about it. For the price, it was delicious and I thought the finish was fine. (BTW, do you have any unwanted bottles? I think we're both in Toronto and I couldn't find any more at the LCBO). :biggrin:

Edited by jmcnally (log)

Interesting that this came up... over the weekend, I was fortunate to taste a '59 Wehlener Sonneuhr feine Auslese by Prum. We all smelled the petrol/kerosene and agreed it didn't detract from the subtlety and enjoyment of the wine.

Couldn't petrol in these types of wines be akin to the "desirable" cat-piss smell in Sauvignon Blanc????

jmc,

I tasted these at a session with the import agent, so I don't actually own any bottles.

Here are the CSPC numbers that I could find:

2001 Karl Joh. Molitor Riesling Kabinett Feinherb, #919423 (Sold out)

2002 Aylur Kupp Riesling Kabinett QmP, #919449 (Sold out)

2002 Dr. Pauly-Bergweiler Riesling Spatlese Bernkasteler Badstube, #727370 (Sold out)

2002 Pieroth Riesling Auslese Dorscheimer Pittermannchen, not available in Ontario

For something that's actually in stock that I really liked, try the following:

2002 St. Urbans-Hof Riesling QbA, #995746, $14CAD

None left in Toronto, but some in the GTA (Brampton, Mississauga, etc). I gave it an 88.

All of the products that are/were available in Ontario were through Vintages.