• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: ms. victoria - Tea for three

Ms. V and K –

So glad to hear the check gods have smiled on you (albeit after hijacking your check to a remote location; remember what I said about checks and fate?). I've felt your pain, now I feel your relief.

GG

I forgot how crazy things get when we come in for the weekend. And I forgot how slow dialup is compared even to our DSl lite at home.

Before the lovely and talented hathor whisks us all to her abode, I thought I would give a quick run down of our day yesterday.

We arrived in time for breakfast. Mom made wonderful belgian waffles with syrup and bacon. After being awake for four hours and reading new issues of BBC Good Food and Olive in the car, I think I was ready to chew off my own arm.

We ate lunch late, after Keifel and the boychick helped Mom burn a brush pile. Homemade egg salad sandwiches (turkey for Keifel and the dreaded bacon and jelly for the boychick). My mom's boiled eggs are always perfectly done with creamy yolks which make the best egg salad. Oh, and she found the very last jar of homemade pickle relish to add to the salad. So, so good. Sadly the brush pile was what was what was left of the garden. Since my father died and her surgery, my mom hasn't had the energy to maintain a garden. It breaks my heart but we are just too far away to help her with it and she is travelling more to not be at the house so much by herself.

Keifel and I went to see a dear friend of mine in Oak Ridge, about 20 miles from Kingston where my mom lives. We had tea and cookies and caught up with her. She hadn't met Keifel before because of the craziness of the last four years and him being out of the country. It was nice to prove that I'm not married to a Snuffalupogus (sp?).

For dinner we had a taco night of sorts. One of my many siblings (I have eight) arrived with four of his six children in tow. We added hotdogs to the menu (that were supposed to be grilled today) and let the kids have what they wanted while we had soft tex-mex style tacos.

This morning my brother made pancakes (very good) and we are about to start cooking for lunch. Mostly hamburgers and hotdogs with the picnicky things that go with. I'm making cucumber sandwiches which have become kind of tradition with my sister, one of my SILs. Mom and me. It's our girly food while the guys dig in to the hamburgers and such, though the guys always decide the cucumber sandwiches are pretty good, too. I especially like watching my former college football player brother sneaking delicate, crustless cucumber sandwiches.

This week has been so much fun and I am looking forward to hathor's week in the spotlight.

(Oh, Keifel promises not to be stranger noe that he is hooked on eGullet, too.)

Victoria Raschke, aka ms. victoria

Eat Your Heart Out: food memories, recipes, rants and reviews

The weekend sounds mighty yummy. Our own son, when he was a boychick, liked pancakes with fresh blueberries and bacon all rolled together, I think its a variation on the bacon/jelly sandwich of your boychick!

Nothing is better than lots of family, friends, tradition and food, thanks for sharing your week with us! I know I look forward to more news of all of you!

Since the torch has been passed to me...yikes!!... here is the link to I what I hope will be an interesting week: Big Apple Blog

Thank you Ms. Victoria, for a lovely blog ! :smile:

Yes, indeed - and thank you, Keifel, since it really turned out to be kind of a co-blog.

Hey, I wonder if Keifel thinks he backed into blog-exemption by joining during Vic's blog-week and contributing. Sneaky. That wouldn't work for jury duty... I bet you can't get away with it here either. :wink:

BTW re cocktail: I do hope you guys try it (you've certainly earned it!), perhaps in the next version I plan to try: the Blender Variation! Don't you think it would make a great Frosted Drink? Keifel, you could end up as the namesake for the heir to the Daiqiri....

Oh, and I forgot to say the other day... mazel tov on the check. Especially nice that it arrived just before the beginning of the Family Weeekend!

Is it over already? This was a lot of fun!

Happy Mothers Day to Victoria and all other mothers, and my greetings also to Keifel.

Michael aka "Pan"

i was kind of hoping i wouldn't be excused. i quite enjoyed this past week. thank you all, i'm looking forward to hathor's blog and i'm really glad to be here. :biggrin:

Don't loaf and invite inspiration. Light out after it with a club.

- Jack London

i was kind of hoping i wouldn't be excused. i quite enjoyed this past week. thank you all, i'm looking forward to hathor's blog and i'm really glad to be here. :biggrin:

You're not excused! I'm fully expecting lots of participation from you!! No slacking off...jump in! :biggrin: