• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Flamenco Anyone? It's @Samba Nightclub

KatieLoeb

Hi everyone:

While we were recently lamenting long past restaurants and the subject of Tapas came up, it brought a tear to my eye. I happen to be on the mailing list for Samba Nightclub which is located at 714 West Girard Avenue and is widely known for their Brazilian rodizio dinners. Turns out they are hosting Flamenco Ole! on Thursday evening May 13, with shows at 8PM and 10PM. When I called to inquire more about tickets etc., the very kind manager said he'd e-mail me "special pricing" for a group of 10 or more, with and without dinner inclusive. The regular freight is $15.00 at the door for the Flamenco show or $12.50 in advance. Their regular pricing for dinner is $22.95 for all the Atkins friendly meat you can eat. If folks were interested in doing this (the early show on a schoolnight for me) I'll definitely follow up with management there. This doesn't have to turn into a great big ole deal or anything, but I thought a smaller group along the lines of our usual Pizza Club gatherings might be fun. I absolutely ADORE Flamenco, and for those of you that may not have had the pleasure, it's Muy Caliente! It's truly passionate and infectious to watch. And the guitar music is just awesome. The guitarist of whom I spoke so fondly on the previous thread, Mr. Carlos Rubio, is the Music Director for Flamenco Ole and the woman who runs the company, Julia Lopez, is a world reknowned dancer and choreographer. These guys are REALLY good, and are (unfortunately) a not nearly well enough known artistic resource in Philadelphia.

So what do you all think? Shall we go drink pitchers of sangria, stomp our feet and shout OLE! at the tops of our lungs together? This could definitely push me over the edge to take that Flamenco dancing class I've always yearned to take. :biggrin:

More about this HERE

Post your opinions here....

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Katie--I've been meaning to go to Samba for a long time-- so I'm up for this, for sure. Keep me posted. I have a girl friend who'd like to come too.

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

Is it every Thrusday? I might be up for the early show.

Carman:

It's not every Thursday. The special events at Samba are frequent, but Flamenco Ole! is not the "House Dance Troupe" or anything. Also, Flamenco Ole! is often travelling to perform so I'm certain nailing down a performance with them is not quite so simple.

More information about Flamenco Ole! can be found at their website HERE.

More information about Samba can be found at their website HERE Check under "Coming Attractions". There is also an evening of Argentine Tango performance and instruction this coming Thursday evening May 6 that could a blast as well.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Hello Flamenco Fans!

My apologies for the delay in updating this thread. It seems the manager with whom I'd originally spoken has been out of town for a few days. I have just spoken with the other club manager this evening and he has graciously offered our group an unbelievable deal for this event.

If we come to the club prior to the show for an all-you-can-eat Rodizio dinner at $22.95, there will be NO cover charge for the fabulous Flamenco Ole! performance! That's an even better deal than is posted on their website!! Tickets for the Flamenco performance only are $12.50 in advance or $15.00 day of show.

To purchase advance tickets for the performance only, please call Samba nightclub directly at (215) 625-7900 and request tickets for the early 8:00 PM Flamenco Ole! show on Thursday May 13. Everyone that is joining us PLEASE, PM or e-mail me so I can confirm the total size of our party by Wednesday evening as I've promised the management. I just need to confirm the actual number of chairs/seats for our party, but if you would let me know if you plan on coming for dinner or just the show I think it would be considerate to give the restaurant a heads up on how many actual diners they will have on their hands.

Thusfar I have placed the reservation under "The Katie Group" and confirmed for six persons including myself, Sara + 1, Carman, Gary and Claire. If everyone keeps me informed I will update the list here periodically so if I screw up, y'all can tell me! I suggest that those of us dining try to arrive at the restaurant between 6:30-6:45 in the hopes of having dinner fully underway by 7:00 PM. Although the dining room and the performance venue are one and the same, I think it would be best to have dinner prior to the show (as much as is possible) so that we are interrupted/interruptive as little as possible during the performance.

As I mentioned previously, Flamenco Ole! is an enormously talented and incredibly authentic Flamenco troupe. I had the pleasure of attending their performances on several occasions at Tapas many years ago before the restaurant closed and it was always an excellent evening's worth of entertainment. The caliber and authenticity of the dancing and musical accompaniment is peerless. If you closed your eyes you could easily imagine yourself in a club in Andalusia. So where are you going to find an all-you-can-chow Atkins friendly dinner with a transcendant and transporting performance thrown in to boot for $22.95, eh? It's a bah-gain! :biggrin:

I hope to see many of you there on Thursday next!

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Okay, I'm in for din-din. What's the count at now?

I believe we're at an even dozen, but the list is at home. I'll be calling the restaurant tonight with a final count for our table.

Meet @Samba at 6:30 PM tomorrow!

Must. Fast. In anticipation. :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Katie , I have Faye, Jack, Aunt Mar. that has said yes. There are a 1/2 doz. that hasn't gotten back to me yet. I was in jury duty. Could you add the 3 plus Sara to be sure?

Carman

Carman's Country Kitchen

11th and Wharton

Philadelphia, PA

OK!

The Flamenco group curently stands at 15:

Sara + 4

Carman

Faye & Jack

Aunt Mar

Gary

Herb

Claire

Chris

Holly

Katie

Any last minute folks that aren't listed above can call the restaurant directly at (215) 625-7900 and add themselves to "The Katie Group" tomorrow.

There's on street parking and since it's in a commercial area I'm assured that shouldn't be an issue. The restaurant has a CPA (Car Parking Attendant) that keeps an eye on things outside all evening.

See you all tomorrow!

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Due to illness, the Flamenco show for tomorrow evening is postponed! Julia Lopez, the choreographer/director or Flamenco Ole has been sick this week, and although she bravely kept thinking she'd be OK by tomorrow, she just called the restaurant to cancel and the manager called me right away to let me know. BUMMER!!! :sad:

If folks still want to go just for rodizio dinner, I'm game for that too, or even a spur of the moment get together of another sort if we can coordinate it by then. Please PM me and let me know what you all decide to do and I'll gamely play hostess or not, as the general preference becomes clear.

SO SORRY EVERYONE!!!

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

If there's no show, and we can do the Rodizio at that price point any time, then I'd push it off until a later date. Two culinary blowouts in a week is seeming a tad bit decadent for my present circumstances.

I really wanted to see the flamenco... lets hold out until they're performing,

As to a spur of the moment get together for a tasty beverage or such, I'm game.

Edited by cdh (log)

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

I'd love to see the Flamenco at a later time as well, and as it is now Friday evening, am wondering what the decision of the group was? Actually, knowing that Katie has a lot of Cuban blood flowing in her, I was wondering is she was gonna fill in? Ole! :wink:

"Nutrirsi di cibi prelibati e trasformare una necessita in estasi."

• 8 months later...

Finally, it's time for an official Samba review. A small cadre from the DDC went Friday night for Rodizio. It was what I was going to order anyway, but I thought there was going to be a menu....WRONG!!! Rodizio only. YUM!!

Comparing to Rodizio at Seabra's in Perth Amboy, it was pretty comparable with a little less food, but not much. The price was slightly higher too...$24.95 a person, but plenty of quality MEAT, MEAT! and more Meat!!

The salad bar was includied with the meal which had large you peel out of the shell shrimp (I like to call gambas), marinated artichokes, typical greens, veggies, and a light black bean soup which was tasty. Overall, the salad bar was nothing extraordinary but good.

The meat began: sausages, little chickens, turkey wrapped in bacon, beef tenderloin wrapped in bacon, flank steak, pork tenderloin, pork ribs, beef short ribs, roast beef, top sirloin, another beef, mostly just seasoned with salt/pepper and maybe some garlic. Most beef was medium rare.

On your plate were some greens, yucca, fried plaintain, rice...A nice salsa and a crumbly root vegetable to put on your rice or meat. The salsa was chunky & NOT tomatoey!!! There were also black beans to put on your plate. Delicious!!

But the biggest surprise was dessert--grilled pineapple with cinnamon, sliced on your plate from the skewers like the meat, but then dabbed with butterscoth schnapps; delightful!!

The building is a conveted bank. The salsa dancing starts at 11PM. the bar is large, but don't get the sangria. A Brazilian rum drink with ground lime was very tasty--I forgot the name!!

I'd go back again!!