• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Flavored Vinegars

phaelon56

Vinegars are being discussed on this thread

Superior Vinegars

but it has occurred to me - it can't be that tough to mkae your own. I've seen some methods that people use for the simple ones such as tarragon infused etc. but I'm interested in some more creative concotions. Just curious to know what's really involved, what the issues are regarding preservation etc.

Anyone here had personal experience with this or know a good resource for information?

Edite to change incorrectly referenced link

Edited by phaelon56 (log)

I make herb vinegars every summer:

• *Procure fresh herbs and white wine vinegar
    *Pour a little vinegar out of each bottle
    *Wash and pat herbs dry with toweling
    *Push sprigs of herbs into bottles; top up as necessary
    *Replace bottle cap and store; I keep them out, not even in a dark cupboard
    *As herbs are uncovered, top up with more vinegar

Been doing this for years, and haven't killed us yet. And the vinegars are good for the year.

I generally use rosemary, oregano, and some variety of tarragon, thyme, and basil (individually, although be the end of year I mix whatever's left -- vinegar only).

Thanks, Gifted Gourmet - those links are great. What I'm looking to do and hope someone here has had experience with the process.... is to make my own using store-bought white wine vinegar and cider vinegar as a base, then add the appropriate product to flavor (I'm thinking of reducing some pomegrante juice for the first try). Making my own from scratch looks like fuin but my plate is a bit full already with other projects.

I have made herb vinegars just like Suzanne method for many years. I usually make one with several different herbs in the same bottle, too. I kept them for over a year, and we're not dead yet, either!!!

Stop Family Violence

Neither are we, and we're still working on my last bottle of Arf! Vinegar from Bad Dog Truck Farm, which I must have infused at least 10 years ago, possibly longer. There don't seem to be any issues as regards preservation; I'm no SSB, but I get the impression that the vinegar itself acts as a very good preservative. Hmmmmm - this sets me to wondering about the relationship between vinegar and alcohol. I mean, red wine contains alcohol, and what happens when that wine gets converted into vinegar? And what about cider vinegar? We know that cider can ferment and produce alcohol - but does it also go through that stage on the way to becoming vinegar? (Haven't yet made cider vinegar, though I'm saving up mother from bottles of organic ACV expressly for that purpose.) I mean - you've had fruit preserved in brandy. You've seen fruits preserved in vinegar. Damn you, eGullet! These questions didn't always keep me awake at night! Oh. Wait. Yes, they did. The only difference is that back then I didn't ever hope to get them answered. Never mind. I withdraw the damn.

Edited by balmagowry (log)

As a child*, Yorkshire pudding was eaten in our house as a pudding, that is, after the meal. The usual accompaniment was raspberry vinegar, of which there were several pint bottles on the pantry floor. After a number of years, these were used up, and more was made to the proportions in the recipe below. This gave a syrupy concoction that was too sweet, so the next batch cut back on the sugar.

*until I was about 25

Practical Cookery for all, Blanche Anding et al, Odhams Press, circa 1945.

Fill a large seven pound jam jar with fresh raspberries, press well down and cover with [malt] vinegar. Cork or cover and set aside for fourteen days. Strain [through a cloth]. To every half a pint of juice add half a pound of sugar. Place juice and sugar in pan and simmer slowly for thirty minutes. Allow to cool, and skim. Bottle. Use according to strength desired.

The cleverclogs here won't need telling not to squeeze the cloth as you strain the mix, and not to use an aluminium pan.

Stephen

• 10 years later...

Oh boy. Do I remember and miss Yorkshire pudding with raspberry vinegar! Made a batch of raspberry vinegar today but using red wine vinegar and no sugar. Hope to use it in salad dressings and as a flavouring for soda water.

image.jpg

It will sit like this at room temperature for four or five days before being strained, bottled and refrigerated.

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog