• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What We're Cooking for Shabbos: 2004 - 2006

bloviatrix

What is golden borsht?

It's my experiment of the week. :laugh: I was in the mood for a chilled soup.

I picked up some golden beets at Fairway rather than red ones. Then I added some chopped ginger (a flavor buddy according to Culinary Artistry) along with the onions during sweating and (skipped dill this time). Right now the broth mixture is simmering. Then I'll add the roasted beets and puree. It should have a golden orange color.

I have a feeling this would work nicely with creme fraiche, but alas I'm using fleishig equipment.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

They taste very similar to the red ones. Maybe a little sweeter. But they're a pretty orange-gold color.

The borscht is chilling. It's quite yellow in color. The taste was beet-y with a slight ginger undertone. It might taste different cold.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

Oooh, I have wondered about the golden beets, because they are restricted from my coumadin diet. There are white ones, too...and no, they aren't called turnips :smile:

edit to clarify--the red ones are restricted, like the deep green veggies and orange stuff as well.

Edited by Mabelline (log)

What's for breakfast Shabbat (Shabbos?) morning?

Soba

Assuming I wake up at a decent hour - Coco Pebbles w/milk over the sports section of The Times. (my usual breakfast of champions :raz: )

If I wake up late (which has been happening a lot recently), breakfast will be a shot of single malt and a piece of cake at the kiddush following services. :laugh:

(In case you're interested, here's a linguistic lesson: In hebrew, the word for shabbat is spelled as follows: שבת . The ת is pronounced as a “s” by Ashkenaz Jews and as a “t” by Sephardim. Therefore, shabbos is the ashkenaz pronunciation and shabbat is sephard. Shabbos is also the pronunciation in Yiddish. )

Edit: I thought I should spell correctly in my linguistic lesson. :laugh:

Edited by bloviatrix (log)

What's for breakfast Shabbat (Shabbos?) morning?

Soba

I was in the mood for something special tomorrow -- maybe 'cause I'm not making lunch. So I threw together a batch of kubbanah -- a spiced sephardic bread that bakes, covered, all night with eggs on top of the lid. We'll have the kubbanah, some labne, the eggs, and some peppered salmon from my monger.

Shabbat Shalom, y'all.

Pray for peace.

Aidan

"Ess! Ess! It's a mitzvah!"

The golden borscht was a success (it's nice to know that all my experiments aren't utter failures. :laugh: )

Anyway, I've added it to recipegullet. Here it is.

Having barely recovered from "le deluge" of Shavuot, we plow mightily forward in our quest for "something different", yet simple, to prepare for Shabbat tonight ...

Bloviatrix and I are in a similar predicament ( poor choice of words for such a bounty of good food ) as to what we ought to prepare this evening .. we both want it to be special, yet we have eaten more than our fill of delightful food this week ..

So I am opting to make more salmon, but in a different way (which yet remains a mystery), the roasted Vidalias once again, because they are seasonal here and need maximum exposure when available, sauteed spinach with garlic butter, and I just completed a corn flan, which smells delightful! Simple to prepare, yet, from the obligatory taste for doneness, is amazing!! Since we finished off the cheesecake from the holiday, I have bought fresh fruit and will do something with the huge California strawberries which I found early today.

Anyone else care to share this night's repast with us? :rolleyes:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

We have left-over rainbow trout (I bought 4 trouts for Shavuot, but some of our guests aren't fish eaters) that's already been rubbed with charmoula and roasted, so we're having that along side the left over spinach noodle pudding. I just picked up some cherry tomatoes at the market, so I'm going to chop up some garlic and roast them. For dessert we'll probably go with the cheesecake and the ice cream, however, I poached some apricots which we never got around to eating so maybe we'll have those with mascarpone.

Tomorrow's lunch with be a salad with sliced turkey breast and strawberry-balsamic sorbet for dessert.

I also have a bag of cherries that I forgot to serve which will get eaten at some point.

I'm happy to see Shabbat -- even though we've barely had a chance to breath after the festival!

I always count the Shabbat immediately preceeding Memorial Day (and any of the three-day weekends) as a special shabbat. We relax more than usual, don't make plans for after shabbat (other than DVD's and popcorn) and keep the togetherness going through the rest of the weekend. (We call them "Long Shabbats").

For tonight I've made gazpacho, arroz ammarillo with peas, frijoles negroes, chicken tamales (red) and a salad of tomatoes and red onion dressed with a lime vinagrette. Dessert is a (bought) pecan ring that was still warm when the kosher bakery delivered it! I didn't have time to make tortillas, so we're having challah with our mexican! I'm serving a homemade lime/lemonade.

Tomorrow we'll have more of the gazpacho, tamales, challah with honey, and hot smoked salmon, olives and other stuff. Tomorrow dinner will be cold poached salmon with citrus horseradish, French potato salad, a tossed salad with a mustard viniagrette, and ice cream sandwhiches for dessert -- made with my grandmother's recipe for Snickerdoodles.

Sunday morning will be challah French toast with butter, maple syrup, and fresh oj. Lots and lots of coffee. Sunday lunch will be eaten out together.

So this is more than just Shabbat, but I guess you won't have my post deleated.

Have a great Shabbat and a great weekend. Pray for peace.

Aidan

We have left-over rainbow trout (I bought 4 trouts for Shavuot, but some of our guests aren't fish eaters) that's already been rubbed with charmoula and roasted, so we're having that along side the left over spinach noodle pudding. I just picked up some cherry tomatoes at the market, so I'm going to chop up some garlic and roast them. For dessert we'll probably go with the cheesecake and the ice cream, however, I poached some apricots which we never got around to eating so maybe we'll have those with mascarpone.

Tomorrow's lunch with be a salad with sliced turkey breast and strawberry-balsamic sorbet for dessert.

I also have a bag of cherries that I forgot to serve which will get eaten at some point.

Bloviatrix:

Which Charmoula recipe are you using? Is it one you've had for a while, or is it the one from my Passover wine article? Just curious, because if it's the one I included I'd love to know how it came out.

The trout sounds delicious :wub:

Good Shabbos everyone! Pray for peace and safety for everyone this weekend.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Katie, the charmoula recipe I use comes from a class I took with Levana Kirschenbaum (of the eponymous kosher restaurant in NYC) several years ago. A quick review of the recipe you posted indicates one difference between the two: I use evoo rather vinegar.

The consensus yesterday was that the fish was "buttery".

My meal is slowly coming together.

Skirt steak rubbed with a mixture of garlic, paprika, black pepper, corriander, cumin, and cinnamon, and olive oil. I'll probably finish it in the grill pan.

Rhubarb ketchup

New potatoes, roasted with olive oil, sea salt and savory

I also picked up my favorite sesame pugliese, so we'll use that instead of challah, plus I have some fresh basil-garlic mayo.

Blovie is making spearmint ice tea. And we still have sorbet left.

Tomorrow's lunch with be the usual salad with grilled chicken and turkey mortadella (this is imported from a place in Israel that Blovie worked at years ago)

I need to run out for some fruit.

Here is the recipe. It's from the June issue of Food & Wine.

I just finished making it, and it's delish. I can already see myself eating it straight from the container with a spoon. :rolleyes: The texture is like a smooth applesauce. I've been seeing rhubarb at the farmer's market for a couple of weeks now, and I wanted to use it in a meal before the season ended.

I am suffering from a complete lack of motivation today. Fortunately, I only have to worry about one meal. Here's what I'm making:

Lemon sole, breaded and fried

Zukes, thinly sliced and sauteed in butter

Wilted swiss chard with garlic

Cocoa Nib Ice Cream

Spearmint infused ice tea to drink.

I should try to come up with another side

We're going to a Bat Mitzvah tomorrow so we'll be eating lunch in shul. Plus, they're having a big se'udat shilshit.

In spite of the thread I began on short ribs, I have decided to opt for something less complex .. it is, after all, something like 90 here today ... :sad:

Will go ahead with some old favorites like strips of zucchini in a tomato-garlic-olive sauce, vidalias in a casserole (a gratin actually), an orzo pilaf with roasted vegetables, a rhubarb-peach-cherry pie, and all I need is a main course .. will dig through my freezer for this .. :laugh: and a salad of juicy ripe beefsteak tomatoes with a basil, garlic vinaigrette and hearts of palm (my favorite!) ...

Have a lovely Shabbos, if you are of such a mind ... :biggrin:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I've had such a busy week, I hardly spent a minute cleaning, and we have company coming at 6:00! At least they are close friends who know what it is like to both work and raise a kid!

It is going to seem like I am stuck in a rut, and maybe I am, but it is a rut we are all still enjoying. Gazpacho, salad, rojo chicken tamales, grilled flank steak (with a great sweet and spicy dry rub), and saffron rice. Gallons of freshly brewed, decaf iced tea with mint. Guests are bringing dessert.

Last week I made dessert tamales to take for a special oneg at synagogue. I made a sweet masa with papaya and mango nectar instead of stock and some jaggery. I filled them with a stylized homemade mincemeat filling with lots of raisins, dried blueberries, currants, candied orange peel, rum, brandy, almonds and LOTS of pistachios. I made 72, but I could have made double that -- there wasn't a single tamale left over.

What really surprised me was that so many people didn't know how to eat a tamale! I just can't imagine!

Shabbat Shalom, y'all! Pray for peace!

Edited by Comfort Me (log)

Aidan