• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What We're Cooking for Shabbos: 2004 - 2006

bloviatrix

Shavua Tov Everyone!

I had a long weekend for Yom Hazikaron and Yom Ha'atzmaut.

In keeping with the Yom Ha'atzmaut spirit we had:

Grilled entrecote that was marinated with red wine, balsamico, olive oil, garlic, fresh sage and thyme

Artichokes

Matza ball soup ('cuz we didn't have enough during Pesach :wub:)

On the other hand we didn't go out into the endless traffic jams for a barby :sad: or as we call it here in Israel mangel. Probably better for our cholesterol level. Although we had enough carbs this evening.

Tonight we had:

Chicken soup

Homemade pasta with lemon (zest & juice), pinenuts, olive oil, sage, thyme and garlic

Homemade focaccia with zaatar, garlic, rosemary, oil and sea salt

Bloviatrix, please send my best wishes for a speedy recovery to Blovie.

Edited by Swisskaese (log)

Blovie is still limited with what he can eat - he's now on soft solids.  So, I'm making an Asian style chicken soup infused with lemongrass, star anise and red chilis and served with shredded chicken, mushrooms and peppers.  The main will be a thai chicken curry served over basmati.  And apricot sorbet.  I made a pot of chili for tomorrow's lunch.

I hope he's feeling better soon. From the sound of it, he's getting some wonderful food though. It sounds like you are taking his dietary restrictions and making the most of them.

jayne

Well, we're moving along with a bit of a thrown-together last-minute meal, mostly because a "cooking class" I set up for my children took a lot longer than I planned. (I opted out of an after-school cooking class when I learned that the children didn't actually participate in food prep. Mostly they watched. Who needs that? So we made our own.)

There is a very fragrant pound cake baking right now and a lot of veggies still sitting on my counter...... First time I let my children use the electric hand-mixer and it was quite an experience for them. Not to mention a lot of interest in scraping the bowl....

So...

Challah and rolls from Zomicks (we always do 2 rolls because my daughters each like their own.)

vegetable ___ (fill-in the blank) probably an Italian-ish baked casserole thing. That will go into the oven very quickly....

chopped salad

pound cake

Shabbat Shalom everyone.

jayne

I haven't checked into this thread in while....

Blovie, my best to your husband as well. But from this thread and the crepe one, I'm thinking (and hoping) he's well on his way.

Thus far dinner will consist of extra rib roast and grilled veggies with balsamic and basil that we made for a shiva dinner tonight. Didn't know there'd be so much extra so there's also a roast chicken.

Salad with balsamic vinagrette (I know, 2 balsamics but I didn't know I'd have the roasted veggies!)

Challah that I picked up from the bakery this morning. Two for the shiva, one for my family.

There's no other starches for the plate... and I think I'm good with that.

That's about it.

Shabbat Shalom.

Thanks everyone for their get well wishes. Blovie is completely back to himself. So much so that I could make a normal meal last night.

Borscht - a more traditional one with beets, potato and dill

Wiener schnitzel

Roasted cauliflower

Asparagus

Israeli couscous with caramelized onions

Apricots, 2 ways - roasted with brown sugar and cinnamon, sorbet

Instead of challah I picked up a marble rye which was then eaten with piperade. I had a glass of Segal's Cab Sauv 2002.

Lunch was chili.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

We are taking dinner to friends, and I have been feeling lonely for the south, so I rubbed a nice brisket with a sweet and spicy rub and tomorrow I'll barbecue it slowly (9 hours), pull it, then toss it with homemade sauce. In addition to challah rolls, I'll serve cole slaw, wonderful spicy baked beens made with beef bacon, green beans, and cupcakes.

I think it is obvious -- I'm ready for summer.

Aidan

"Ess! Ess! It's a mitzvah!"

It's a beautiful spring day and I found gorgeous strawberries at the greenmarket so decided the chicken cutlets I had defrosted would be made for se'udat shilshit (we're out for lunch) and I'd make a dairy dinner so we can have strawberries with fresh whipped cream for dessert. :wub:. We're also having salmon, roasted spring onions, and a tomato-mozerella tart in basil-garlic crust. Instead of challah I have a nice rustic boule (and some basil-garlic mayo made earlier in the week). I recently tried a fabulous Israeli Sauv. Blanc that I loved - I think I'll run out and grab a bottle.

I dredged the chicken breasts in a cornmeal-ancho-pasilla mix and pan fried them. Picked up some cole slaw and potato salad at the kosher market for the side.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

We've also got strawberries but my bunch wouldn't go near them unless they are plain.... oh, well. Bloviatrix, your meal sounds yummy.

We're having swiss chard lasagna, a favorite for my children. They helped me wash and separate the chard stems from the leaves. They're also helping with some of the assembly. Not much time left.

Some sauteed mushrooms as a side dish.

Also with the strawberries, (but not too close to them 'coz they can't touch!) some brownies (from an Alice Medrich recipe)

Shabbat Shalom everyone.

jayne

'Se'udah Shlishit' is the third Shabbat meal typically eaten during the late afternoon before sunset on Saturday ... it is a light meal which may contain bread and therefore requires saying Bircot Hamazon (thanks to G-d) and singing zemirot (songs) with one's company. I have always seen it done with egg salad and herring and tuna salads. Then the final prayers are said and Havdalah is done. more on this here

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Also with the strawberries, (but not too close to them 'coz they can't touch!) some brownies (from an Alice Medrich recipe)

Which Medrich brownie recipe? I was toying with a making a batch as well, but I loaded up on Syrian pastries at Mansoura yesterday so I figured it would be overkill.

Shabbat shalom, everyone!

What's se'udat shilshit? The Havdalah meal to close the Sabbath?

You might be more familiar with the yiddishized Shalah Shudis.

Which Medrich brownie recipe? I was toying with a making a batch as well, but I loaded up on Syrian pastries at Mansoura yesterday so I figured it would be overkill.

I usually make the one called Michael's Fudge Brownies from "Chocolate and the Art of Low-Fat Desserts." My family and friends always appreciate the idea that they're eating something that's "not as fattening as it could be" and these are also fudgy without being really too rich. One of these days, I will try some of her other brownie recipes. Do you have a favorite?

The double batch probably won't last the weekend. We had some last night then brought some to my grandmother this afternoon, scarfed down another one this evening.... I did put a couple in the freezer but I think I'm going to be making another batch soon....and it *is* time to try another recipe, right?

jayne

• 2 weeks later...

Tonight I am making the following:

Georgian stuffed chicken

Broccoli

Peas

No dessert because we are going to be eating calorie bomb dairy dishes for Shavuot.

Shabbat Shalom and Chag Sameach!

I usually make the one called Michael's Fudge Brownies from "Chocolate and the Art of Low-Fat Desserts." My family and friends always appreciate the idea that they're eating something that's "not as fattening as it could be" and these are also fudgy without being really too rich. One of these days, I will try some of her other brownie recipes. Do you have a favorite?

The double batch probably won't last the weekend. We had some last night then brought some to my grandmother this afternoon, scarfed down another one this evening.... I did put a couple in the freezer but I think I'm going to be making another batch soon....and it *is* time to try another recipe, right?

jayne

As of late I've been using the Medrich recipes from Bittersweet. She has one for cocoa powder and one for chocolate.

Dinner last night:

sauteed mushrooms with sherry on arugala

stir-fried beef with peppers and scallions on rice (this was an unmitigated disaster. Tasted like a salt-lick)

strawberry-rhubarb pie

to drink: strawberry-basil lemonade

today's lunch was a big chef's salad.

Last night's dinner was:

Spice rubbed skirt steak

roasted potatoes

Mark Bittman's Rhubarb and Lentil Stew from last week's Times (I've been on a rhubarb kick and wanted to do something savory). It was awful.

Strawberry-balsamic sorbet

Minted Ice Tea to drink

Shabbat dinner was very low key:

Stuffed butternut squash (stuffed with mince meat, shallots, pinenuts, rice and seasoned with Baharat) with a tomato-garlic sauce

peas and corn

Red wine

Hooray, our local farm has just opened for the season!!

So, although we make it a lot, we're having lasagna (with chard, kale, and zucchini)

also a side of kale with [bottled] raspberry dressing - a favorite of my husband

also the last of the bunch of challah that I'd baked before Shavuot and frozen.

Dessert is gingerbread biscotti and fresh fruit (I went wild at Costco and picked up peaches, blueberries, and cherries...They're great and now we have a lot of them.)

Shabbat Shalom everyone.

jayne

p.s. The farm is located just off Glen Cove Road in Old Brookville, Long Island (New York). Yes, really, Glen Cove Road.... It's called Rottkamps Farm and it is just a wonderful place. After you drive past a couple of mansions and then the cornfields, you reach the farm stand which is basically a big barn. Almost all the vegetables and melons they sell are grown there but they bring in fruits from elsewhere. No rides or shmaltzy stuff. Just beautiful produce!

Friday Night

Standard Borscht (although it was white - the chiogga beets I used don't retain their color)

Veal scallops in a garlicy tomato sauce (my plan was schnitzel, but we had no eggs hence I change on the fly)

Swiss Chard with Pine Nuts and Craisins

Ciabatta in place of challah

Local strawberries

Chenin blanc and minted ice tea to drink

Shabbos lunch

Curried Yellow Squash soup with cilantro-lime oil

Bake salmon smothered in charmoula

More ciabatta, with piperade

Rhubarb crumble

minted ice tea to drink

We aren't going to see my mom this weekend, so it will be nice to spend a Shabbat at home. (It will also be nice to avoid the 4 hour drives and Shabbat dinners out of a cooler in a hotel room!) Too bad Chicago is in the middle of a heat wave -- and a drought, as well. We've been in the 90's for a couple of weeks already. We have A/C, of course, but we also have new furniture for dining al fresco, which has become my son's absolute favorite thing. (This couldn't have happened LAST year, when everyone was complaining about how cool it was!) Since we've been going to see my mom in the hospice on weekends, we haven't tried Shabbat outdoors, but the request has been made, and if it makes him excited about Shabbat, then I'm all in.

So I'm doing a lot of my cooking Thursday night and Friday morning and keeping the house cool for Shabbat.

Shabbas Dinner:

Gazpacho

Gefelte fish w/horseradish whipped cream

Mixed Everything Salad

Leak/Artichoke/Feta Pie (w/homemade phyllo -- my newest variation on spanikopita)

Gigantes

Pita (baked on the stovetop)

Iced Coffee (decaf)

Rubarb Pie

Shabbas Lunch:

Challah

Cannellini bean salad

Chicken Marbella (room temp)

Roasted beats, room temp

Pink Grapefruit sorbet

Iced Coffee (with caf!)

3rd Meal:

With Shabbat lasting so late, this really has to be more substantial -- and we have friends with children coming over.

Leftover Gazpacho

Buttermilk Kugel

Goat Cheese & Wild rice salad with lots of red peppers

Mixed Spicy Olives

After thinking about the menu some more, I think I'll put up the base for sangria, then just add the hootch on Saturday evening. I don't drink, but the others do, and it will be nice and cold and fruity.

Shabbat Shalom, y'all!

Aidan

"Ess! Ess! It's a mitzvah!"

I'm using Bloviatrix's thyme crust for a zucchini, sun-dried tomato, and mozzarella tart from Epicurious.com. I simplified it a bit to appeal to our whole family (My husband doesn't want it too rich or cheesy, my children don't want too many herby flavors......... In spite of all that, it still looks wonderful.)

I tried roasting some diced celery root but obviously did something wrong so we won't be having that.

Other side dishes are veggies from the farm (and I've got some fresh garlic roasting now. The green stem was still attached when I bought it! Some of the garlic scapes I bought last week went into the crust.)

(The kitchen feels pretty hot right now, my fault for not baking the challah earlier this morning!)

Shabbat Shalom everyone.

jayne

Jayne, the tart sounds delicious.

Dinner tonight is:

Chilled Zucchini and Mint soup. (at the greenmarket,the zukes looked good and suddenly it occurred to - let me make a chilled soup)

London Broil with a soy-sherry-garlic marinade

Green and Yellow beans with toasted sesame oil

Soba with a Rice Vinaigrette

Blueberry pie

Sesame Pugliese, Minted iced tea and maybe Terra de Belmonte (Portugese red)

Tomorrow's lunch:

Chopped Liver

Grilled Chicken Salad

5 bean Salad

Apricot-basil sorbet

Parker house rolls, minted iced tea

Just wanted all of you to know that I am with you in spirit. I have been travelling like crazy, so I haven't had any Shabbat meals at home for the past two weeks.

I am flying to London tomorrow for a week and will hopefully be able to post Shabbat meals when I return to normalcy. What ever that means. :rolleyes:

Shavua Tov everyone.