• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What We're Cooking for Shabbos: 2004 - 2006

bloviatrix

I was sick all last week. Plus, I had to work on friday for the first time in 4 1/2 years (deadlines, deadlines). So, my darling husband took care of the food responsibilities. He picked up a "shabbos special" (roast chicken, cole slaw and potato salad), made chicken soup (actually, he did this earlier in the week to cure me) and a pot of cholent for yesterday's lunch. He's a sweetie. :wub:

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

As the days get shorter and colder and shabbat gets earlier I find that putting together a vegetarian/dairy shabbat dinner gets harder. So much fish doesn't hold up till dinner if its cooked earlier and pasta gets all wierd. I would love any ideas for something that would serve the place of a chicken stew....

As the days get shorter and colder and shabbat gets earlier I find that putting together a vegetarian/dairy shabbat dinner gets harder.  So much fish doesn't hold up till dinner if its cooked earlier and pasta gets all wierd.  I would love any ideas for something that would serve the place of a chicken stew....

Cobblers and vegetable tarts work well. I made one with celery root, other vegetables, and a kind of bechamel sauce earlier this year.

Also bean stews are good. I mentioned a lentil stew with pomegranate molasses and mint earlier in this thread. It's yummy, easy, and works at almost all temperatures. It also benefits from being made a day early.

I've adapted a Moroccan Stew recipe that I found in a Moosewood cookbook and adding lots of root veggies (parsnips are especially good) and some preserved lemon. We like that a lot.

jayne

As the days get shorter and colder and shabbat gets earlier I find that putting together a vegetarian/dairy shabbat dinner gets harder.  So much fish doesn't hold up till dinner if its cooked earlier and pasta gets all wierd.  I would love any ideas for something that would serve the place of a chicken stew....

Welcome to this Shabbos preparation thread and to eGullet, gestalt! :biggrin: We are here to offer advice and comfort in all things Shabbosdik!

Yes, fish is difficult to 'hold' for dinner when it comes earlier in the evenings of winter ... dairy dishes like lasagna hold up, obviously ... casseroles as well ...

dietary issues allow for any meats at all?

level of observance also a factor ...

can you heat or reheat after candles are lit?

more suggestions will follow ...

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

It is very cold here in Atlanta at the moment so my meal reflects the winter "cocooning" urge .. eastern European Ashkenzic-style:

home cured gravlax

Pullet chicken soup with homemade noodles (lukshen)

Matzo balls with parsley flecks ... fluffy, of course :hmmm:

Hearts of palm salad with grape tomatoes, calamatas and garlic Dijon vinaigrette

Baked chicken with kishke

potato kugel (same type mixture as latkes from earlier Hanukkah party on Tuesday night)

cranberry-orange-apple stuffed acorn squash

fresh asparagus mimosa

challah and wine

(have yet to consider a dessert)

Shabbat shalom to everyone! :biggrin:

We're going to friends tonight -- so no need to cook dinner. I'm making a fresh pot of chili for lunch tomorrow.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

When do you do your cooking? Thursday night or Friday morning? Gifted already asked, but are you limited to only dairy?

I find that poaching is the method that works best for cooking fish in advance. And, instead of pasta what about a bulgur salad? Or a wild rice salad?

I also would suggest the following for vegetarian Shabbat Dinner:

Seven-vegetable Tagine,

Spinach lasagne

Pumpkin, sweet potato soup or a hearty vegetable soup

Stuffed peppers, butternut squash or eggplant

Spinach Ricotta Pie

They all hold up well on a warming plate. I have recipes for all of these. Let me know if you are interested in any of them.

I made the following for Shabbat dinner:

Roast Chicken stuffed with lemon, fresh sage, fresh garlic, fresh thyme and also placed a lemon slice, sage and garlic slices under the skin. Sprinkled lemon juice, olive oil and dried savory on the skin.

Jerusalem Artichokes

Stuffed butternut squash

Served with Chilean Merlot

Edited by Swisskaese (log)

Tonight we're having:

Mushroom-barley soup

Roasted salmon on wilted arugala

Brussel Sprouts sauteed with balsamic vinegar and pine nuts

Chestnuts

Wine to be decided.

We've been invited out to friends for lunch -- cholent! It's supposed to be freezing tomorrw, so cholent will be perfect.

Tonight's Shabbos dinner:

chicken soup with matzo balls

gefilte fish

salad with golden beets, orange-dried cranberries, mandarin oranges, and glazed pecans .. dressed with red currant vinegar and walnut oil

Roast Beef with potatoes and carrots

Cranberry stuffed acorn squash

Yellow cake and coffee

I know this is completely sacreligious, but in honor Christmas, we sang Shir HaMalos to the tune of Jingle Bells at lunch. :shock:

I know this is completely sacreligious, but in honor Christmas, we sang Shir HaMalos to the tune of Jingle Bells at lunch.  :shock:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I'll post my pictures from Shabbat tonight. Actually, my other half is going to post them. He has joined the fold. David's name is Tapenade.

Edited by Swisskaese (log)

• 2 weeks later...
Actually, my other half is going to post them. He has joined the fold. David's name is Tapenade.

And so the cult continues to swallow up yet another unsuspecting victim ... :rolleyes:

Tapenade, huh?? O-live hashalom ... :laugh:

Actually, I'm quite o-live and kicking. So you'd better stop cutting these capers with bad puns (and in Ashkenazi pronunciation, which makes them worse), and get back to the subject at hand :cool:

David

Blogger. n. Someone with nothing to say writing for someone with nothing to do. (Guy Kawasaki)

So, now that we've disposed of that attempt to welcome me :hmmm: let's get back to what we made this last Shabbat.

As a starter, we had artichokes with a very garlicky aioli that Swisskaese made:

gallery_25151_552_1104757697.jpg

After that, for the main course, we (well, mainly Swisskaese) made osso buco, served with orzo and steamed green beans:

gallery_25151_552_1104758083.jpg

The truth is that the cut of meat we bought at the supermarket, where we have found some pretty nice marrowy osso buco in the past, wasn't really osso buco, but something with too much bone and almost no marrow. But, with inspiration from a couple of recipes on the web (one of them was Martha Stewart), and some variations of our own, the meat came out absolutely tender and succulent, with a rich and fragrant sauce that wouldn't have disgraced a good Italian chef. Some fresh gremolata on top, a bottle of lightish 2000 Chianti to accompany it, and we were totally stuffed and very pleased with the result. Oh, and since this was also New Year's Eve, we felt quite well compensated for not having gone out on the town to some over-priced and noisy restaurant NYE celebration.

To add to the pleasure, Swisskaese's walnut bread came out absolutely right, for the first time since she started baking bread in this country: many thanks to various eGulleteers whose advice on how to overcome the limitations of Israeli flour worked out right in the end. And, as a little (?) extra, she made a batch of totally luscious chocolate and pistachio biscotti. These were a little awkward in the making, to be honest, because we didn't leave them in the oven for quite long enough for the first bake (plus a little screw-up with the oven timer), so the dough was still a bit too oozy, and wouldn't slice properly. But with some typically Israeli improvisation, we saved it, popped the slices back into the oven for the second bake, and ... yum :raz: . Sorry, there definitely isn't enough left to offer you readers any: you'll have to wait for next time.

gallery_25151_552_1104757870.jpg

Edited by Tapenade (log)

David

Blogger. n. Someone with nothing to say writing for someone with nothing to do. (Guy Kawasaki)

Welcome to eGullet, David.

David -- Welcome to eGullet! We'll have you addicted in no time. :laugh:

Thanks to all for the veggie shabbat ideas. Swisskaesse. would love your tagine and stuffed vegetable recipes. Sorry it took so long for me to reappear but with winter vacations and making three parties in one week I didn't have time to check back in here.

We do eat dairy (I personally eat meat but since I'm the only family member who does it didn't seem worth the two sets of everything so I eat it elsewhere.) As for heating, reheating etc. it depends on the guests. I have no problem with cooked, heated foods for shabbat but we have guests who do and those are the difficult meals for me.

By the way, the day I first posted I ended up making a somewhat provence like fish stew with anisette, striped bass and potatoes that was perfect.

thanks for any ideas...Janet

It's Blovie's birthday tomorrow, so I've invited some friends over for a celebratory lunch.

Dinner tonight:

Celeriac-Pear soup (shopping in the freezer)

Schnitzel!!!!

Green Beans

probably bulgur

We've been invited to a shalom zachor so that's where we'll have dessert.

The birthday lunch is going to be:

Sauteed mushrooms on wilted arugala

Beef Stew

Potato Kugel (I haven't made one in years)

Cauliflower kugel (I made this one up, I have no idea how it will taste. But cauliflower, caramelized onions and a hint of nutmeg can't be bad, can it?)

Chocolate Oblivion (cake from Medrich's Bittersweet)

Lots of wine and scotch.

Mushrooms for Shabbat for us also!!

We're having a mushroom cobbler (Anna Thomas recipe) It's got caramelized onions, fresh mushrooms, rehydrated porcini, red wine and the topping is kind of a biscuit with Parmesan in it.

Salad (probably arugula)

Dessert will be some pieces of an already-started but very yummy pear tarte tatin

Shabbat Shalom everyone.

jayne

p.s. anybody know a good way to get those little thyme leaves off the stalks? Every time I do it, I think to myself, "there has to be a better way."

Mushrooms for Shabbat for us also!!

We're having a mushroom cobbler (Anna Thomas recipe) It's got caramelized onions, fresh mushrooms,  rehydrated porcini, red wine and the topping is kind of a biscuit with Parmesan in it.

Salad (probably arugula)

Dessert will be some pieces of an already-started but very yummy pear tarte tatin

Shabbat Shalom everyone.

jayne

p.s. anybody know a good way to get those little thyme leaves off the stalks? Every time I do it, I think to myself, "there has to be a better way."

not sure if I'm missing something but I just run the thyme stalks between my thumb and pointer and the little leaves just come off...always seemed easy...

and easiest is that today I'm NOT cooking for Shabbat and not only that but we're actually invited to people who though having my family counter to the usual are not making a dairy meal. I am so looking forward to roast chicken for shabbat and my veggie crew will just have to eat the sides... :raz:

Edited by gestalt768 (log)

When you pull the leaves from thyme stalks (or any other kind of herb), you do it in reverse. Pull back from the growing end of the branch, toward the big stem or root end. You'll be pulling against the grain and they will come right off.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

The apartment is smelling really good right now.

Dinner tonight is made up of new recipes. We're starting with Spicy Black Bean Chowder with Pineapple-Banana Salsa. For the main course we're having Soy-poached Chicken on savory baby greens and roasted cauliflower. Dessert will be clementines.

Tomorrow is supposed to be cold, so I put up a pot of chili using black and kidney beans.

Nothing too fancy here tonight ...

Potato-onion-watercress soup

Waldorf salad with huge raisins/nuts from a Trader Joe's trip to California ..

Roast chicken with wild rice stuffing

Cranberry-port-citrus filled acorn squash

Cherry turnovers ... parve vanilla 'ice cream'

Shabbat shalom, ya'll! :biggrin: