• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What We're Cooking for Shabbos: 2004 - 2006

bloviatrix

GG, your dinner sounds perfect for a hot, steamy day. And the pie --- mmmmm, I like pie. :smile:

I'm actually on top of things today -- my parents are coming into the city for Shabbos. They very rarely come in for an extended length of time, so this is a big deal.

Dinner tonight:

Sweet Corn and Potato Vichysoisse

Warm Corn Bread

Tuna Tartare (my mom has a fear of raw fish, particularly tuna, so I want her to taste just how wonderful it is)

Roasted Rainbow Trout, smothered in charmoula

Tomato Mozerella Tart with a basil-garlic crust

Steamed Asparagus

Apricots, poached in moscato d'astil with a choice of cinnamon ice cream or mascarpone/honey/nutmeg

Drinks will be mint ice tea and a Baron Herzog Clarksburg Chenin Blanc '02

Lunch tomorrow will be served at room temp:

Corned Beef, cooked sous vide then coated with a pineapple-ginger glaze

A big salad w/slices of grilled chicken breast

Dilled potato salad

Roasted Corn and Black Bean salad

Strawberry-balsamic sorbet for dessert

More mint ice tea and strawberry lemonade to drink.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

You want to come to me? And here I'm thinking your meal sounds equally as delicious as Gifted's.

I ran into a friend when I was at the kosher market earlier today. She had just spoken to a mutual friend who stated she was coming to me for dinner tonight. Now, I know I'm making a lot of her favorites, but still -- it came as a bit of a shock.

Oh what the hell, the more the merrier.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

An modern orthodox shul here in Chicago, located in a very hip, predominantly gay, neighborhood, has a practice I really like and wish would work in our neighborhood. At the end of the kabbalat shabbat service, the rabbi asks "Who needs a place for dinner?" and people will raise their hands. He then asks "Who has empty seats at their table?" And he matches people up. Apparently it has been great for building a feeling of community and getting people who otherwise would never really know each other connected and talking. Kewl. The congregation is very young and very spirited.

As much as I love to cook, there are weeks when I wish I could just not worry, show up to shul, and know I was going home with someone who would fill me with chicken soup and knaidlach and a bit of brisket. Oh -- and gefelte fish. I love them little rascals! (Delicious, but difficult to catch!)

SSy'a.

Aidan

"Ess! Ess! It's a mitzvah!"

That goes on at our shul every week at the end of services. The Rabbi gets up and says "if anyone is in need of meal, please come see me." I know there a people who are always bringing home strays. As a matter of fact, last friday, while running last minute errands, I ran into a friend who said "J better not bring anyone home tonight. We don't have enough food."

We've been known to drag people home from shul, but it's always people we know and feel like have a spontaneous meal with friends.

It's hot and humid in NY. The last place I want to be is in my kitchen.

Dinner tonight will be skirt steak which has been coated in a spice rub and grilled on the grill pan with a salad of green and yellow beans tossed in a dill mayo. For dessert will be apricot sorbet. It's too hot for wine, which means to drink we'll go with mint ice tea.

I picked some turkey breast from the butcher. We'll make a big salad tomorrow using the lettuce and young onions I picked up at the greenmarket along with some peppers and avocado.

Tonight's meal looks something like this:

Salad with cucumbers, tomatoes, olives, garlic winevinaigrette

Turkey Breast teriyaki

Rice orientale

Roasted carrots and Vidalia onions (huge this time of summer!)

Spinach with garlic

Peach and blueberry pie (haven't done this in ages!)

Anyone else care to join me? In the posting, not the eating! :laugh:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

My visit to the greenmarket yielded some really great stuff which inspired me. So, dinner tonight will be...

A new wave borscht - roasted beets, carrots, apples all pureed together.

Salmon, rubbed with charmoula and roasted

Zucchini and herb flan

Gooseberry Fool

Ciabbatta instead of challah and mint ice tea.

I picked up some grilled chicken breasts in order to make a salad for tomorrow's lunch.

Change the new wave borscht. A quick look at Culinary Artistry revealed that carrots are not a flavor buddy of beets. So, the soup has been changed to beets, apples, and ginger. I'm thinking of adding a teaspoon of walnut oil to the puree.

Edited by bloviatrix (log)

Have actually planned something in advance this week:

melon coupe to begin

romaine salad, balsamic vinaigrette, tomatoes, hearts of palm, olives

grilled Lamb chops with rosemary and garlic

potatoes anna

yellow squash, Vidalia, and cornbread casserole (very southern!)

broccoli rabe

peach-blueberry open-face tart with pareve vanilla "ice cream"

challah (without eau de parfum, bloviatrix!)

Yeah, that will make a nice summery meal! :biggrin: See bloviatrix, I can get organized every few months ... :rolleyes:

Lots of company (10 people) for Shabbas this week, so I kinda went all out:

Matbucha & Pita

chickpea soup flavored with onion, harrisa and ras al hanout

pumpkin couscous

Tagine of lamb with garlic, olives, preserved lemon, and chickpeas

Steamed carrots with dill and cilantro

Ravani (a Greek cake soaked in a spiced syrup)

Mint tea (in beautiful Moroccan tea glasses! A recent aquisition.)

Life here has been really crazed -- working a lot (day job and catering) and trying to be a decent support system to a close friend with a seriously, seriously troubled teen. I need this Shabbat to recharge -- my battery is dead! I know it sounds counterintuitive -- drained so I invite 10 people over, but each of these people love me and make me feel better!

May the One who set peace like a star in the heavens bring peace to Israel and all the Earth. Veimeru amen.

Aidan

Since this thread basically has only three main posters, and we generally fill in by the week, anyone else care to join us in what you make for Friday night dinners??

Shabbat isn't only for the kosher-inclined, nor for the religiously observant .... we would love to have you join us and it need not be either kosher nor inventive nor elaborate nor even holy ... if you make a special meal, please join us!

I have the weekend off. We're going to friends in New Jersey. Therefore, my toughest decision was "what to bring as a hostess gift." I've settled on a bottle of Bowmore, 15 year old.

Candle lighting is in approximately 4.5 hours. I have a kitchen full of raw ingredients, and I haven't done shit. All I know is that I'm making a chilled curried yellow squash soup. And I need to make a final trip to Fairway (I did a big shopping there yesterday). I really need to get my ass in gear.

Post # 2001: a Shabbos Odyssey

peaches and blueberries very big right now here .. deep dish cobbler

chicken with vegetables, Chinoise style, and a rice pilaf

oops, having dessert first! :laugh:

Edited by Gifted Gourmet (log)

:raz: A nice Pork Roast

:unsure: What can I say, I am a Jew from Dallas who was born in Baylor (Baptist) hospital. 

Shalom yall

Rodney

Shabbat shalom, Rodney! I will pass on the pork roast .. dunno but it seems all wrong somehow for the spirit of the day ... :wink: I was born in a Catholic hospital in Manhattan .. and I turned out okay, so there is hope!

Glad to see someone else has joined our tiny thread! All are welcome!

b'Shalom, ya'll!

Shabbat isn't only for the kosher-inclined, nor for the religiously observant .... we would love to have you join us and it need not be either kosher nor inventive nor elaborate nor even holy ... if you make a special meal, please join us!
I repeat my offer from last week .. see? even Rodney has joined us ... :biggrin: Edited by Gifted Gourmet (log)

OK, I finally got to work...

Chilled Curried Yellow Squash Soup w/Cilantro-Lime Drizzle (it's currently simmering. I'm going to have to place it in the freezer to get it chilled)

Roasted Salmon with an Orange-Balsamic Vinagrette

Green and Yellow Beans

Roasted Corn and Black Bean Salad

Cherries for dessert.

Hello, all. Been away a lot -- super busy with day job, catering, summer, and mah jong group. Food hasn't been quite as fun for me, as I stepped on a scale and realized how much weight I gained. So I'm back on my old diet plan of, six days a week, always choosing the lower fat alternative and, on Shabbas, not worrying about a damn thing and eating what I want when I want.

This Shabbas I'm making:

Chilled potato and onion soup (My Irish grandmother's recipe)

Corn and Radish Salad

Grilled chicken with maple chipotle glaze

Garlic smashed potatoes

Grean beans sauted in olive oil with garlic

Tofutti with Maine Mud -- a thick and nutty chocolate sauce. F@ the diet!

I'm also looking forward to Sunday, when my mah jong group is coming over. (To play on my new set -- a complete set from the 1920's, in fabulous condition!) I'm making cucumber finger sandwiches, olive-nut finger sandwiches, a fruit salad, and low-fat coffee ice cream for dessert. Wish me luck!

Aidan

I'm also looking forward to Sunday, when my mah jong group is coming over. (To play on my new set -- a complete set from the 1920's, in fabulous condition!) I'm making cucumber finger sandwiches, olive-nut finger sandwiches, a fruit salad, and low-fat coffee ice cream for dessert. Wish me luck!

Sounds like fun, my Grandmother taught me Maj Jong years ago and dominos. :shock: Of course I did have to keep an eye on her. She was very adept at cheating :rolleyes:

My Grandparents, Mother and Uncle were on the last ship out of France. The wondered the seas for two years before ending up in Brazil. My Grandmother ah card sharked, and Maj Jong sharked.. for a couple of years, she never tapped into their nest egg.

Of course on the cooking front she was putting it mildy, a horrible cook. I would normally help her during Passover and break fast so nobody got food poisoning :laugh: I did however learn how to make Gefilte fish from scratch from her, with the old trusty grinder.

Never trust a skinny chef

Since it's the 9 days and we're not eating meat I'm under orders to make 2 meat meals for shabbos. Right now I'm thinking of marinated london broil very rare on soba noodles and beans tossed with toasted sesame oil. Of course, it's only tuesday so I might change my mind.

I have a large group coming over after services this Friday.

I am making

Greek Salad

Hummus

Pita

And for something completely different make your own pizza. I will do the dough Friday morning so it's ready to "roll"

I will make some fresh Italian sausage out of ground turkey. I have a large batch of marinated Banana peppers, so ready to go...

And of course some of my Chocolate Almond cookies and Gelato.

Of course I will probably freak out Friday morning, go to work late and make a bunch more stuff. "raid the cupboard"

Edited by irodguy (log)

Aidan, are you aware how hip you are by having a mah jong group? My mil has a weekly game -- she tried to explain it to me but my head was spinning. Is there a typical menu or does it vary?

What a warm and interesting and also mouthwatering 'thread'! I am fairly new to eGullet and am enjoying exploring the many writings....

It does seem that there should be more users adding their thoughts here...but of course many people are somewhat shy.

Me? No, I am not shy!

Jewish food (if it is not politically incorrect to call it that nowadays? Perhaps it is...) is naturally of interest to me, both as a (ex)professional chef and as a New Yorker for twenty years (not now), and as a person whose father is Jewish. (That is still true, as far as I know!)

You are all lucky, or blessed, to have been given the gift of knowledge of both the faith, the rituals, and the foods...neither of my parents had any interest in passing on the faiths they had been given as children, unfortunately.

But as life is (hopefully) long, there is alway the chance to learn, isn't there?!

Having married a Catholic (now divorced) I have brought my children to the Catholic church at times...and at other times, in rural areas that we lived in...to Baptist or other similar churches....but recently have made the decision that it is a good idea (both for them and for me) to explore visiting the Shabbat services which are offered in the small city we now live in.

So. I hope to have some interesting meals to post here, soon. I am nowhere near as ambitious as ANYONE on this thread! so they will be simple, but I look forward to what you will think....

Karen

P.S. I just remembered a great cookbook I used to have on traditional Roman-Jewish food. A fantastic recipe for sweet and sour salmon....

There is acutally quite a bit of interesting Italian Jewish foods. One of the oldest synagogues in Europe is located in Modena. It's very interesting to see the tradition of boiled meats in Emilia Romagna combine with Jewish foods of the region.