• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What We're Cooking for Shabbos: 2004 - 2006

bloviatrix

My in-laws stayed with us for shabbat, so we were 4.

Corn and potato chowder

Picked veal brisket braised in beer

Ratatouille

Salad of beets, apples, toasted walnuts in a vinaigrette

Fig Confit

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

My vegan daughter came into Atlanta from California for the weekend to celebrate my mother's 95th birthday. I was worried about making a vegan meal but, surprisingly, found it not too terribly complicated after all!

Appetizer salads:

pickled jicama-carrot combination

Thai peanut cold noodle salad

Potato-Vidalia cream soup (using "Silk" soymilk)

Main courses:

Butternut squash ravioli and roasted pepper ravioli and vegetarian potstickers all with the 365 Whole Foods Roasted Vegetable Tomato Sauce (for her)

Poached chicken breasts with the same sauce for my husband and me

Fresh cranberries poached in port

Peach-plum tarte

Wines but no challah because vegans don't eat eggs ... so we had some leftover schmura matzo for Hamotzi ...

The result pleased my daughter enormously and I found the meal not uninteresting at all ...

The next night, for the birthday party, I ordered a deep dark chocolate vegan cake from a local bakery which only cost $35! ... it was truly splendid! :biggrin:gallery_10011_1589_1407805.jpg

Edited by Gifted Gourmet (log)

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Wow, did you all see that amazing cake above my post, in Melissa's? Yum.

I'm at home, and so is my sweet Elisheva(bet you all wondered if Kiddle had a traditional name!). She made chicken thighs in the pan with Vidalia onion and New Jersey tomatoes, steamed carrots and a baked yam. Very orange, but I let her choose the vegetables! We have a round, raisin studded challah, and a parve chocolate cupcake for dessert, alongside a beautiful apple.

I am very poorly for now, but my radiation is going along, and we have high hopes! L'Shana Tova! May only sweet things come to all of us this coming year! :smile:

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

Best wishes to you Rebecca.

Since it was Erev Rosh Hashanah we had our traditional Seder with foods that represent our wish for a sweet new year, good deeds and the eradication of our enemies. Apples, dates, black eye peas, butter nut squash, fish, spinach (frozen) with egg and leeks were all used in the Seder. For the meal following the Seder I served a brisket, rice, sliced carrots and salad along with the abundant amounts of Seder dishes. For dessert my wife made a type of turtle brownie.

L' Shana Tova- Wishing every one a healthy happy new year!

Crazy busy week. Fortunately, I could "shop in the freezer" for parts of the meal. Dinner tonight will be:

Chicken Liver terrine

Butternut squash soup

Lamb chops rubbed with garlic and thyme

Mushroom-onion ragout

Ratatouille

Poached pears

We're going to a Bat Mitzvah tomorrow so no need to be concerned with lunch.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

Elisheva is moving to my sister's after Shabbat. So, tonight we settled in together and had bean soup, with a really huge challah, immense, sent by a friend from our shul, for Shabbat. The prayer for bread is my Kiddle's favorite, and it is always sung with verve at our table. For dessert we had pomegranate ice cream. I love my daughter, and this was the best Shabbat ever. Everyone, be at peace this year, I pray that we are all written for a sweet year and a year of growth.

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Everyone, be at peace this year, I pray that we are all written for a sweet year and a year of growth.

and to you, Rebecca, only the best of health and strength in the coming New Year ... you are a marvelous contributor to this, and other, threads on Jewish cooking and we look forward to your insights within this topic!

• 2 weeks later...

We were invited to friends for Shabbat.

I brought a Zwetschgenkuchen (Plum Cake)

It reminded me of my Oma's house. I did not follow this recipe. I have another recipe that I use, but the baking temperature in the recipe was two high and the cake was darker than I intended.

I hope all of you had a nice chag.

Shavua tov everyone.

Edited by Swisskaese (log)

I miss you all! I hope and pray for good things for everyone. My Shabbats have been nice, my #1boy has remembered my fondness for soups and has kept me well fed for each Shabbat, and every other meal, too. Well, he's not Sephardic, so I am not getting hamoud or anything like that, but he can still cook! I will visit again in a few weeks, hopefully, and will look forward to reading about everyone's great meals in the upcoming weeks.

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Rebecca, I've been thinking of you off and on all day, and praying for your refuah shlemah.

The past several months I've been cooking with little motivation. It showed, too, as many of the dishes leaving my hands were too salty, or under-salted, or did not work together. Most of the time I stuck to familiar favorites and made my husband take us out at least once a week, even just for a shwarma. I guess most people who cook a lot go through phases like that. I finally bestirred myself, though, and shlepped the tajine off its high shelf and cooked up a dish of turkey with onions, garlic, saffron, a little thyme, cumin, tomatoes, a few drops of tamarindi, a handful of raisins. Salt and black pepper, of course. At the end of the cook, I added some steamed sliced carrots. Sprinkles of finely-chopped cilantro over all. It is savory and good, and I'm glad the creative urge seems to be returning. What motivated me? Well, I read through the tajine cooking thread here on the forum...

With the tajine I'm serving plain white garlic rice. My son, who used to live in the Bucharian neighborhood of Jerusalem, taught me how the old ladies there cook rice, draping a kitchen towel over the pot when the rice first comes to a boil, placing the lid firmly in place (and bunching the ends of the towel up over it so it won't catch on fire). Then you lower the flame to the lowest possible. As the rice cooks, the towel absorbs the steam. After 10 minutes the rice comes out perfectly cooked and loose, each grain separate. We call it "shmatta rice", to my boy's amusement.

Steamed up two beets, which I made into a Moroccan sweet-sour salad with thinly sliced onions, cumin and lots of fresh, chopped cilantro.

Chicken soup, as always, and challot I baked this morning.

Nary a cherry tomato this Shabbat. Lunch tomorrow will be a roast chicken and potato kugel with coleslaw, and the tossed salad that makes its appearance at almost every meal here - back to substantial but plain. Hm, this needs a little more pizzazz. How about a salad of sliced tomatoes and oranges with plenty of whole mint leaves, and a light vinegar/oil dressing?

We don't normally serve dessert, but it's raining out there. Cooler weather calls for something baked... I think that some homey oatmeal cookies with raisins and chopped walnuts won't hurt.

Shabbat approacheth...Shabbat Shalom to all!

Miriam

Miriam Kresh

blog:[blog=www.israelikitchen.com][/blog]

• 3 weeks later...

It's been a while since we've posted here. I'm attempting Lamb cholent for tomorrow... I'm just not sure if it will take a sweet (apricot, honey, sweet spices) or savoury (lemon, rosemary/oregano) turn. But the lamb chunks are in the fridge almost thawed and the white beans were left to soak before I came to work this morning.

We're down to three of us for dinner tonight so it will be a simple meal. I'm in the mood (I've been in the mood for the last 2 weeks) for turkey schnitzel - so I think it will be that, with maybe mashed potatoes and some veg and salad. Challah I won't be baking, but we have local bakeries that make lovely ones. Chicken soup - we made a huge batch at work this week so I'll grab a litre. It's winter here and comfort food seems just right tonight.

Shabbat Shalom. Take care.

I have my young, diabetic cousin staying with us this Shabbos. On the menu:

Challah

Chicken soup with alphabet noodles

Gefilte fish w/ horseradish

Oven fried chicken

Broccoli slaw

Potato kugel muffins with applesauce

Sugar-free raspberry crumble

Shabbat Shalom everyone.

(Edited for spelling)

Edited by Miraklegirl (log)

I made:

Roasted chicken stuffed with couscous, garlic and dried tropical fruit (passionfruit, coconut, kiwi, mango, papaya, cranberries, prunes, raisins, apricots and currants) and I drizzled sour apricot molasses on top of the chicken

Steamed broccoli

Melon

White wine

Shabbat Shalom everyone!

We had the following:

Light white fish (they called sole, but it is not) en pappiote with garlic, sliced carrots and white wine

Steamed cauliflower

Toasted quinoa pilaf

Gross Umstaedter Burgunder dry white wine

Shabbat Shalom everyone!

We are having the following:

Roasted chicken with lemon, garlic, sage, thyme, rosemary and oregano

Roasted potatoes

Steamed artichokes with garlic mayonnaise

Marron glacé (candied chestnuts) from Chocolat Debauve & Gallais (a gift from a friend of ours who just returned from Paris)

Golan Beujolais Nouveau 2006

Tonight we'll be eating:

Morrocan spiced lentil soup

Tagine of Lamb and quince

Roasted cauliflower

Boiled peanuts for dessert.

I'm not sure about the wine.

My well-loved sister was visiting from Calgary. Her beau back in the Frozen Wastes is a chef, and she is spoiled for good food, so I decided to stick with tried-and-true dishes instead of trying to impress with new recipes. This is what I made:

Challa rolls - choumous from the shuk, where the vendor makes it himself - fat green olives.

Chicken soup (all my Shabbat posts start with that chicken soup, I know, but if I try anything different, the family protests - they have an emotional thing with chicken soup. So do I, come to think of it.)

Chicken, jointed and roasted in peach chutney with added S&P, minced garlic, soy sauce, ginger, brown sugar, lemon and orange juice. That chutney was a mistake that sat ignored in its jar for several months. It was a recipe for apricot chutney, but I had substituted sweet peaches for the tart apricots. Result: a curiously bland and sweet preserve somewhere between chutney and jam. I didn't like it, but didn't have the heart to chuck it. I'm glad now that I didn't toss it out, for dressed up with extras it made a good sweet-sour sauce for the chicken. The chunks of peach absorbed the other flavors in the roasting pan and cooked to spreading consistency, which thickened the sauce. Delicious. We licked our fingers. :smile:

Garlic white rice

Steamed broccoli spears with a little sesame oil drizzled over them

Sweet potato salad with finely-chopped garlic chives and EVOO

Tossed salad of baby greens and tomatoes with vinaigrette

Pears in wine

Wine: a modest Barkan merlot

After-dinner drink: Vizniak I made last spring, which came ready just this month. Altogether a fruity sort of meal. We ate till we could no more, and Sis was smiling...I'm happy.

Miriam Kresh

blog:[blog=www.israelikitchen.com][/blog]

• 2 weeks later...

Tonight is the first night of Hannukah.

Shabbat Shalom and Chag Sameach Everyone!

We are having:

Tagine of Chicken and Quince

Quinoa instead of couscous for a change

Steamed Artichoke

Wuerzburger Stein 2005 dry white Franken wine

We are going to a latke party on Sunday :wub:

Edited by Swisskaese (log)

Happy Chanukah and Good Shabbos to all!

I am neither kosher nor a Sabbath observer, but have been using some terrific cookbooks a friend exposed me to. You probably are familiar with them, but if not, I would like to share the titles with you because I like them so much -- even better than Joan Nathan. Fishbein is the author. She also published one for cooking with kids.

Kosher by Design Entertains

Kosher by Design - Picture Perfect Food for the Holidays and Everyday

Kosher By Design -- Short on Time ( Just came out last month)

I am in love with the Cranberry Apple Torte, which is ridiculously easy to make. I like it even better than my Grandma's Russian Apple Cake that I've been baking for 35 years.

Happy Chanukah ... Hag Sameach!

gallery_10011_1589_246537.jpg

Tonight's Shabbos dinner:

Corn and green pepper soup

Mixed salad vinaigrette

Roast turkey breast

Vegetable medley

Potato latkes with applesauce

Peach turnovers

White wine and challah

Edited by Gifted Gourmet (log)

Whew. What a long week it has been - and a lovely, family Shabbat/Chanukah dinner last night was welcome and enjoyable.

Lemon/Garlic/Oregano Chicken

Beef "Brisket" (not a brisket, a new cut of beef to me, prepared as we do the brisket)

Green Beans With Onions, Garlic and Fresh Tomatoes

Rice Pilaf

Potato Latkes

Raspberry Filled Sufganiyot

Chag Sameach and Shabbat Shalom!