• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What We're Cooking for Shabbos: 2004 - 2006

bloviatrix

For some reason I'm organized this week and have finished the Shabbat cooking ahead of time. So this is what the menu will be:

Homebaked challot

Store-bought choumous

Za'atar dip

Chicken soup

A turkey dish whose recipe was given me by the butcher in the supermarket: cubes of turkey shwarma meat sauteed in an equal amount (weight for weight) of sliced onions. Not too much oil. Seasoned with "tavlinim" - the spices that take your fancy. Mine, this time, were paprika, thyme, a little rosemary, and half a glass of dry mead in there with the onions, which are stirred around till soft before adding the turkey cubes. All cooked over medium flame till the turkey is cooked through. Very simple, very good!

Plain white rice, on the garlicky side

Yellow string beans, steamed

Baked figs drizzled with thistle honey

Tomorrow:

Challot, choumous and za'atar.

Chicken roasted with a dressing of tomato jam, soy sauce, lemon juice and garlic -sounds strange but it's savory and good. Got to use up the tomato jam; I'm the only one who eats it because nobody else in the house can get past the fact that it's TOMATOES.

Potato salad

Tossed leafy salad with vinaigrette (always in demand here)

A simple salad of sliced tomatoes well sprinkled with chopped chives, then olive oil drizzled over all: a favorite with my Mom. This week it's red and yellow cherry tomatoes, cut in halves. Pretty, the red, yellow and green on a plain white plate.

A cherry cobbler I pulled out of the freezer

Managed to get a peach chutney made today. It will have to sit for a month or so before it's really good. Peaches are prime now; maybe a peach tart is on the horizon for next Shabbos.

Shabbat Shalom,

Miriam

Miriam Kresh

blog:[blog=www.israelikitchen.com][/blog]

During this sad time there are some bright spots in our lives. My #1 boy has been with us for the last 2 weeks. Tonight HE cooked Shabbat dinner for us!

Our menu :

Roasted Chicken

Roasted Potatoes, Carrots and String Beans

Baby Mixed Greens

Seared Tuna

Salomon's Bakery Challah

Sugar Frosted Bow Ties and fresh New Jersey Peaches for dessert.

I only ate a tiny bit(OK a whole piece of chicken! :rolleyes: ), but it is all delicious.

We're hoping that he can take some time off of school and return for the nine weeks of total skin electron beam radiation that I'll be attempting at Sloan-Kettering. Well, I'm REALLY hoping.

I pray for all of us the world over during these especially trying times.

Shabbat Shalom

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

During this sad time there are some bright spots in our lives. My #1 boy has been with us for the last 2 weeks. Tonight HE cooked Shabbat dinner for us!

Our menu :

Roasted Chicken

Roasted Potatoes, Carrots and String Beans

Baby Mixed Greens

Seared Tuna

Salomon's Bakery Challah

Sugar Frosted Bow Ties and fresh New Jersey Peaches for dessert.

I only ate a tiny bit(OK a whole piece of chicken! :rolleyes: ), but it is all delicious.

We're hoping that he can take some time off of school and return for the nine weeks of total skin electron beam radiation that I'll be attempting at Sloan-Kettering. Well, I'm REALLY hoping.

I pray for all of us the world over during these especially trying times.

Shabbat Shalom

Rebecca, I hope you will have a speedy recovery.

More than anything, more than my own small worries and my own small life, I pray for peace for all of us. Thanks, everyone, for your warm thoughts. I feel better knowing that I know people like you, even just online, through eGullet. I wish for everyone good things.

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

More than anything, more than my own small worries and my own small life, I pray for peace for all of us. Thanks, everyone, for your warm thoughts. I feel better knowing that I know people like you, even just online, through eGullet. I wish for everyone good things.

Peace is a tall order Rebecca. I'd settle for something more obtainable first, like you getting better. Prayers, good wishes and instant karma to you for total remission and well being then we can work on world peace.

gallery_10011_1589_141203.jpg

Salad vinaigrette

Roasted turkey breast

Roasted potatoes with kishke

Thai cold noodle salad

Fresh vegetables

Fresh fruit

Challah & wine

I, too, would like to wish our Rebecca a full return to good health soon ... didn't understand what was happening until I read your post here in this thread, Rebecca... a refuah schlema to you.

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Shabbat Shalom everyone

We are having a pot luck Shabbat dinner at our house and it is going to be a bit of a mixed bag because we have some vegetarians in the group:

Shepherds pie without cheese and butter (made by a guest)

Jerusalem artichoke chips with a lemon-thyme dip

Various Druze salads

Steamed broccoli

Other surprises from guests

Green salad with tomatoes on the side

Peach pie

Variety of red wines

Shabbat Shalom, everyone.

My daughter is away for the week at camp. I've gotten a challah, and I'll have some chicken soup tonight. I may not be posting much for awhile, but you're all wonderful, you're all in my prayers, and I'll be visiting this thread every Shabbat, to share on the internet in your wonderful Shabbat meals. :smile:

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Can't make a Friday night meal without chicken soup, or the crew will mutiny. So for tonight it's soup ke-ragil (as usual) and:

Stuffed, small round yellow zucchini (stuffing is ground meat and mushrooms in a Tomato sauce with cilantro and a little mint and plenty onions & garlic);

potatoes first thickly sliced and steamed, then brushed with a little shmaltz and grilled;

Steamed broccoli;

Challa ke-ragil;

and for once a baked dessert: chocolate chip cookies that my little one and I baked together.

Tomorrow's meal:

Chicken shnitzels, lightly covered in basil mayonnaise then dredged in seasoned flour and baked;

Rice cooked with garlic and a handful of dried cherry tomatoes - I realize I mention cherry tomatoes in almost every post, but my CSA box supplies me with such huge quantities that I have been forced to use them in everything. Dried a lot of them, it's great.

Coleslaw;

Tossed leafy salad;

sliced - you guessed it - CHERRY TOMATOES with vinaigrette and chives;

Challa of course;

Dessert is canteloup and watermelon slices, plus prolly more cookies.

Melissa's photo was mouthwatering...if I could get the hang of posting photos without discombobulating myself, I'd do it too. (Embarrassed.)

Shabbat Shalom you all, and Rebecca, you are in my prayers.

Miriam

Miriam Kresh

Melissa's photo was mouthwatering...if I could get the hang of posting photos without discombobulating myself, I'd do it too. (Embarrassed.)

It is quite simple really .. will PM details which I will simplify ... thanks for saying you enjoy the pictures, Miriam! :biggrin:

A reasonably low fat dinner in the heat of August ...

gallery_10011_1589_117608.jpg

Vegetable medley

gallery_10011_1589_79879.jpg

Chicken breasts sauteed in smoked paprika, tomato garnish atop angelhair pasta

gallery_10011_1589_81643.jpg

Juicy georgia peaches poached in red wine

gallery_10011_1589_36538.jpg

Challah and a white sparkling wine

Simple and healthy Shabbos dinner .. Shabbat shalom everyone who participates in and/or reads and enjoys this thread ... :biggrin:

Thanks, Melissa, I suspect that showing photos is one of those things that look formidable, but that you wind up almost doing in your sleep once you get it.

The stuffed round zukes were not a success; they were surprisingly bitter. We just scooped the meat stuffing out of them and philosophically ate that. On the other hand, this summer's peach chutney has turned out very well (after maturing for a month) and complemented the shnitzels nicely.

Miriam

Miriam Kresh

Michelle - I love that you have rum cocktails in the freezer :wink:

I've been out of town for a week and a half. I have a terrible cold. I'm just hoping the Shabbat fairy (mom) comes through with some chicken soup.

Shabbat Shalom!

For Shabbos Lunch:

-Salad of mixed baby green, fresh figs, toasted pecans, and smoked duck breast; dressed with a honey/balsamic vinaigrette.

-Spicy "crab" cakes with peppered orzo pilaf and lemon aioli (which I piped into these adorable baby eggplant halves).

-Poached pear with (pareve) caramel sauce drizzle

Yum!

Dinner last night:

A thai insipred corn soup with coconut milk.

Keralan Fish curry (a traditional dish of the jews of Kerala, India) over basmati rice

Very simple.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Shabbat Shalom everyone!

We are both sick and are having rice for dinner. :unsure::sad:

I am flying to Germany on Sunday for two weeks on business.

Chag Sameach and Shana Tova kulam!

I hope you all have a peaceful, happy and healthy New Year!

I am especially sending good wishes of health and happiness to Rebbeca. Stay strong. We are all praying for you!

My daughter loves to dip challah in her chili.

Sounds like a pretty good combination to me.

It'll be grilled skirt steak and I don't know what else for me.

Shabbat shalom everybody.

Shabbat Shalom, everyone! We're having bean soup. It's esy, and I'm too tired to do anything else. No challah, no bread at all, I just couldn't get to the bakery. Thank you for thinking of me.

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

This is the last week we're eating dairy. Dinner tonight will be:

Vichysoisse

Roasted Salmon with Moroccan Spiced Tomato Jam

Edamame

Turnip Green Fritters

Plum Clafouti

Hagafen Sauvignon Blanc to drink.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Shabbat Shalom everyone!

We are both sick and are having rice for dinner.  :unsure:  :sad:

I am flying to Germany on Sunday for two weeks on business.

Chag Sameach and Shana Tova kulam!

I hope you all have a peaceful, happy and healthy New Year!

I am especially sending good wishes of health and happiness to Rebbeca. Stay strong. We are all praying for you!

What Swisskaese didn't write is that while I was sick as a dog and eating plain rice, she ate up all the beautiful green asparagus, right in front of me, with the sadistic look of pleasure on her face. :angry: And this was after I'd been planning a surprise birthday dinner that I was too ill to even think about making.

David

Blogger. n. Someone with nothing to say writing for someone with nothing to do. (Guy Kawasaki)