• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What We're Cooking for Shabbos: 2004 - 2006

bloviatrix

Pam and Michelle,

Yes, it's bleedin' hot here in Petach Tikvah. We survive going from air-conditioned space to air-conditioned space. If I can get the family up to Tsfat for a couple of days...the Klezmer festival will be on in about a month and it promises to be a lot of fun this year.

The turkey shwarma was a large, entire piece of meat with the skin on it and a big bone. It was the first time I had seen shwarma cut like that. It looks like the slabs of turkey that the shwarma places stack up on the rotisserie spit, one on top of the other, although of course their meat has been deboned.

The turkey had marinated in garlic, shallots, merlot, basil and a little olive oil overnight before being roasted, so it was very flavorful. I sliced it thinly like a roast of beef, and we wound up making hot sandwiches out of it at the table. It was quite good with salad lettuce made tangy with vinaigrette, a little mild mustard and sliced tomatoes. This week's challah experiment had produced bread with a firmer crumb than the usual soft, sweet challah, so it held up well for sandwiches.

I grew a little nostalgic for the hot sandwhiches I used to buy in Rio de Janeiro in the pre-kosher Bad Old Days - hot barbequed meat topped with a slice of rich, fresh pineapple. I don't miss the treif, but the combination of hot meat and the pineapple, well, it was good. Hey - the hot turkey and tomato was good too... :rolleyes:

Miriam

Miriam Kresh

blog:[blog=www.israelikitchen.com][/blog]

The greenmarket is at its height, so I'm taking full advantage:

Started with a meze of baba ganoush with fresh rye bread

Watermelon gazpacho

Roasted rainbow trout, rubbed with charmoula and stuffed with sorrel

Garlicy green bean salad

Wild rice

Rhubarb and currant crumble with polenta topping

Goose Bay Marlborough (NZ) Sauvignon Blanc '05 to drink.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Shabbat! :wub::smile: We had a challah from the freezer and some grape juice. I just felt too sick, and kiddle and I didn't realize until Friday just how poorly I was. She isn't much of a last minute cook, that's one problem with having a 16 year old genius in the house. I feel so badly about it that I made some vegetable stew for next week, just in case, and froze it.

One of my nieces was here, but she had already eaten dinner, and she was shocked that we actually do any Shabbat at all. The prayer for bread was truly sung at a loud level though, and with extra enthusiasm!

The tiny freezer of fright is full now, with some other items for quick eats, just in case. I'll never be caught like that again, I promise! That's another reason I wish my sis would get with the Shabbat program!

Can I vent with you all? She goes to shul more often than we do, her kids go to Hebrew school and have Bat Mitzvahs that rival most weddings, but to get her to do a Shabbat, it would be a miracle! She DOES do a weekly Sunday night dinner, with macaroni and gravy, instead. :wacko:

PS: my wonderful boss has given me the past few weeks off, but I am truly ill and have to leave my fun new job. I just can't do the physical work. It put me in the hospital! Very sad. :sad:

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

I'll be on the road this evening, and won't be having a 'real' Shabbat dinner tonight. Just picking up something along the way. :sad: I just wanted to wish everybody a safe, peaceful Shabbat Shalom.

[...]I grew a little nostalgic for the hot sandwhiches I used to buy in Rio de Janeiro in the pre-kosher Bad Old Days - hot barbequed meat topped with a slice of rich, fresh pineapple. I don't miss the treif, but the combination of hot meat and the pineapple, well, it was good.[...]

Try that with barbecued kosher beef; I'll bet it would be good.

I hope you aren't up in Tsfat at this time. Stay safe!

Michael aka "Pan"

Shabbat Shalom everyone.

I arrived back home this (Friday) morning at 450am from 34 degree weather in Germany.

Tapenade made a very nice welcome home Shabbat dinner:

Roast Chicken with garlic

Roasted roma tomatoes and baby aubergine

Persian rice

Black cherries :wub:

Cuvee Speciale from Domaine St. Jean de Villecroze 2002 red wine

Please pray for peace. We are ok and my family in Nahariya are ok.

[...]I grew a little nostalgic for the hot sandwhiches I used to buy in Rio de Janeiro in the pre-kosher Bad Old Days - hot barbequed meat topped with a slice of rich, fresh pineapple. I don't miss the treif, but the combination of hot meat and the pineapple, well, it was good.[...]

Try that with barbecued kosher beef; I'll bet it would be good.

I hope you aren't up in Tsfat at this time. Stay safe!

I got a message from her today. She is not in Tsfat.

Simple summer food:

basil-garlic mayo on a sesame pugliese (used instead of challah)

borscht

roasted brook trout rubbed with charmoula

first corn of the season

buttermilk ice cream topped with raspbery-thyme compote

Hibiscus and seltzer to drink

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

Thanks for your concern, Pan. I'm in Petach Tikvah, a little north of Tel Aviv and so in the "alert" zone. So far, safe (tfu, tfu, tfu). Michelle, may you and your family be safe also.

Bringing the topic back round again, for Shabbos I made a cholent based on turkey red meat; the same barley and potatoes, only substituting turkey for the usual beef. It needs added fat and more flavoring: I saute the meat and onions in plenty of olive oil before adding potatoes (both white and sweet) and cumin, bay leaf, paprika, a whole head of garlic, a good sprinkling of thyme, salt and pepper. Sometimes I add a little baharat spice or hawaj, for variety. No beans or kishke, just barley. It's meant to be a lighter, summertime cholent. A leafy salad with vinaigrette on the side, and with the challah it's plenty.

Miriam

Edited by Miriam Kresh (log)

Miriam Kresh

Shabbat Shalom everyone.

Tonight we had:

Glen Morangie single malt - pre-dinner drink

Red mullet with a mango, lemon, garlic and thyme sauce

Roasted baby aubergine and red potatoes

Steamed asparagus with a tarragon aioli

Carmel Select D Emerald Reisling and Chenin Blanc

Grapes, nectarines and kiwis

Edited by Swisskaese (log)

Any time Rebecca. It was your past post about the hamoud that made me want to make it. The kibbe was "faux kibbe" for hamoud. My mother use to make them as little balls without the filling. Her mother's were a like a work of art and perfect in size shape, taste and texture. I know in Brooklyn you can find the real deal at the local Jewish/Middle Eastern markets but here in Fl we have to make them if we want them. I can do the fried kibbe pretty well even though the bulgur/flour shell is more fragile than the traditional kibbe bulgur/meat shell, but the meat/rice kibbe is really tough to work with. If you have any pointers I'm listening.

You're asking me for help with kibbeh? Kibbeh and matzoh balls, my downfall. These are the 2 foods that I can not make well, no matter what. Still, I'd say, do you crack the rice first? That's my shortcut to getting the shell to be less flimsy.

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Rebecca, to make these kibbeh shells I use lean meat and ground rice (cream of rice). Grind these together a couple of times. For the faux kibbeh add celery leaves which is usually found in the filling of a regular kibbeh hamda.

I know in Brooklyn you can find the real deal at the local Jewish/Middle Eastern markets but here in Fl we have to make them if we want them.

I don't know where you are in Florida, but Sara's Tent in Aventurra might have them.

Even though I know we could have meat for Shabbat during the Nine Days before Tisha b'Av, explanation of the customs of these days of mourning for Jewish people I have opted for a dairy meal for tonight:

Green salad/vinaigrette with artichokes, olives, hearts of palm

Home-pickled julienne beets

Haricots verts with real butter

Orzo pilaf with mushrooms

Roasted Vidalia onions

Seared tuna loin

Tapioca puddings with brownies

Shabbat shalom and peace ...

(I do like dairy meals once in a while for Shabbat! Great desserts!) :wink:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Trying to pull myself out of depression and deep sadness. :sad:

Shabbat Shalom

Asado de tiera (Argentinian beef short ribs) with chimichurri sauce

Broccoli

Roasted fingerling potatoes

Crepes with chestnut honey and bittersweet chocolate

Cabernet Sauvignon from a beautiful zimmerim (cabins) in the north. We are drinking this wine in honor and memory of our brothers and sisters who are suffering in the north.

Edited by Swisskaese (log)

Shabbat Shalom, my online friends! This has been a terrible time for us. Yesterday I didn't even feel like breaking my fast at the end of the day. Today my boyfriend flew in for a long visit. Kiddle and I are so glad to have him near at this difficult time.

I gathered my energy and cooked a full meal, with lots of help from kiddle!:

Baked Cod With a Marjoram/Chickpea Flour Crust

Rosemary Roasted Red Potatoes dressed with

Olive Oil Sauteed White Onions

Steamed String Beans

Baby Mixed Green Salad with

Garden Grown Tomato and Cucumber

Balsamic/Grapefruit Dressing

Wein's Bakery Challah(terrible this week, bland and doughy))

No dessert, our sweetness is in being together while the world seems to crash all around us.

I pray for better times for all of us.

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Michelle, stay safe. As I'm sure you can imagine, what's happening consumes my waking thoughts.

Dinner friday night was:

Curried yellow squash soup with cilantro-lime oil

Roasted sea bass

The BEST corn EVER!!!

Caramel Monkey ice cream (homemade banana ice cream with chocolate chips and caramel)

Lots of peppermint ice tea to drink.

I was particularly happy with our shabbat lunch.

A choice of chilled soups (corn for me, curried squash for Blovie)

Poached salmon with citrus-balsamic vinaigrette on a bed of red leaf lettuce, striped german tomatoes, scallions and nectarines.

Honey-lemon thyme sorbet

Shabbat night's menu was:

Chicken soup

Turkey stew: cubes of turkey breast, lightly stewed in white wine, onions, garlic, thyme, and a little curry poweder, with potatoes; gravy based on a flour roux added to the cooking liquid

Steamed string beans

Burgul

Nibbles: Peperonata and fat green olives

Challa

Wine: Barkan Special Reserve Cab.Sauv. - kind of heavy for this meal, but appreciated all the same.

Shabbat day:

Barbunia fish - little red fillets - made in cousbareia sauce according to Claudia Rodin's recipe. The fish is dredged in flour and fried in olive oil, then baked together with an onion/tomato sauce enriched with parsley. However I prefer to use cilantro.

Choumous

Heated up on the electric Shabbat platter:

Roast chicken, previously jointed and marinated in rice and raisin wine (one of my home products), garlic, paprika, cumin, bay leaf, a little tamari, S&P, olive oil

White rice made with some of the chicken soup and a handful of dried cherry tomatoes thrown in for variety

Tossed salad with vinaigrette

Fresh cherry tomatoes cut into halves, salted and besprinkled with finely-chopped chives (then bedrizzled with olive oil).

Challah

Pears in wine

We agreed ahead of time not to discuss the present situation in the country at the table. "But it's all around us," said my married daughter at first. "So is Shabbat," I said firmly. I love being Mommy: I'm usually right. :biggrin:

Later in the afternoon that daughter and I shared a bottle of low-alcohol, slightly bubbly Golan Moscat wine. Very fruity and light, a fun wine for a hot afternoon.

Miriam

Miriam Kresh

This week's shabbat dinner -

Curried yellow squash soup

Flounder dredged in cornmeal and chili powder, pan fried

Corn

Braised beet greens w/garlic

Very simple.

We also hosted lunch for 6.

pre-lunch nibbles of baba ganoush, basil-garlic aoili, butter, sungold tomatoes, seeded rye and sesame pugliese

sweet corn and potato vichysoisse

poached salmon on a bed of buttercrunch lettuce, heirloom tomatoes, green/yellow beans, and scallions

tomato and mozzerella tart - chive/garlic crust

composed salad of beets and nectarines

peach ice cream

Dalton Galilee Rose '05 - I was reading this week that they have a skeleton staff working the vineyards due to the katyushas. They're afraid this will be a lousy year for them

As I've posted before, my family rarely sits down to Shabbat dinner together - not because the desire isn't there - but because getting dinner together on Fridays is difficult. It's often our busiest and hectic day at work.

This Friday a couple of things happened that put me into a very Shabbat-y mood. A young woman who once worked for me is getting married today. She'd been in the store off and on all week - buying supplies for entertaining her guests for Shabbat. On Friday morning, her young groom came in and asked if he could hide something in the store for her - he was sending her on a scavenger hunt and slipped a package for her to find into one of our freezers. Throughout the day friends of both bride and groom kept stopping in - one for meat for a cholent to feed 15 Yeshiva bochers. One came in for a Challah. Another came in for some deli and rolls for their hotel room. It was a fun day. After their wedding today they'll be making Aliya tomorrow - so it was also a time to say goodbye.

At the same time, a high-school friend of mine, who has been coming into my store with her two sons at least twice a week since we opened also came in. She needed snacks for the flights that they will be taking tomorrow as they make Aliya.

All of this good news, and sad goodbyes really put me in the mood for a Shabbat family dinner. With nothing prepared I did a quick look-around to see what I could pull together.

So my menu from this past Shabbat included:

A lovely Brioche Challah from Montreal

Lamb chops - thawed quickly in water and marinated briefly with lots of good stuff

Baby potatoes boiled and dressed with a little olive oil, kosher salt and lots of fresh dill

Green beans and a simple salad

Dessert - assorted baking - also from Montreal

Shavua tov.