• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What We're Cooking for Shabbos: 2004 - 2006

bloviatrix

Rechovot,

I think that with white flour, you'll need to add up to 1/2 cup more while you're kneading. The dough will not need to be sticky if you're working with white flour, just the standard "earlobe" texture ought to work fine. (Dark and whole-wheat flours do need more liquid than white.) Keep the temperature low, as in the recipe I gave: this will keep the crumb and crust tender.

Let us know how your challah turned out. Maybe next batch I'll pull myself together and upload a picture.

Miriam

Miriam Kresh

blog:[blog=www.israelikitchen.com][/blog]

Rechovot,

I've been thinking about the oven temperature for this recipe, and realized I probably gave the wrong instructions. Since I've been baking on a seasoned clay flowerpot saucer (thread in the Baking forum), I've been setting the risen loaves onto the hot clay, then turning the oven down. I assume you're working with a conventional baking pan, so the temperature I indicated would be too low. Please note to change the temp to 350 (I've heard that called "the Jewish temperature" :biggrin: ).

Going to edit the temperature on the original recipe now.

Best,

Miriam

Miriam Kresh

Please note to change the temp to 350 (I've heard that called "the Jewish temperature"  :biggrin: ).

Is it really? I've never heard that before. But I always tell people to do things at 350. :laugh:

Ladies, your menus, as always, are lovely. Does tomato wine taste... tomato-y?

Rebecca - my Shabbat dinner was a big bowl of chicken soup with kreplach and shkiday-marak. There's nothing wrong with a good bowl of soup.

Pam,

The tomato wine has the very subtlest overtone of tomato, if you're in the know. Most people don't catch it. It is dry and crisp and should be served chilled. The golden color makes it different from most white wines; that plus the fact that it has a heavier body.

A tomato melomel (mead) I made last year was so tomato-ey that I decided to use it in marinades and for cooking; it's not a sipping wine. Any melomel I've made preserves the original character of the fruit distinctly; that is, the taste of the fruit, in fermentation, comes through strongly. I don't know why I thought tomato melomel would be different.

This summer I want to make the tomato wine from the very sweet yellow cherry tomatoes that I see everywhere. That should make an awesome wine. This is a frantic wine-making season; not only tomatoes, but piles of apricots, peaches, plums, prickly pear (not to get too onomatopaeic her) - beckon seductively from the vendor's carts in the shuk....I'd better get to work so my head will be free for the work with Merlot and Cabernet Sauvinon grapes, come autumn. I still have a year to wait till my 2005 bottles come into their own.

Miriam

Miriam Kresh

That should be alliterative fruit...my husband corrected me last night. Couldn't sleep till I'd put all those apricots, peaches, plums and prickly pears perfectly to bed. :biggrin:

Miriam

Miriam Kresh

skedei-marak is a kind of European Jewish fried bread bit made from matzoh meal, that you serve in soup, i.e. marak. I've had it in the shape of little balls of doughy, crispy fried balls, it was pretty good! I don't know how it's made, but I'd guess it's deep fried.

edited by me to add: I once bought these soup crackers by Manischewitz that I thought looked like the skedei I'd been served years before, but they didn't taste anything like the homemade ones. :sad:

Edited by Rebecca263 (log)

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

thanks rebecca! The ones I have are usually Osem (but not always) - and are little squares of crunchy goodness! Vibrant yellow and a great addition to chicken soup. I'm late into work today, but I'll take a picture if I can when I go in.

I have no idea what happened. I took pictures today, uploaded them to my computer, deleted them from my camera and can't find them now. :huh:

So instead, why don't I just direct you to the Osem website? Soup Croutons or Shkedai Marak. They're really tiny - I guess you could consider them mandlen, but I like them much more.

Yes! That's sort of what they looked like! I called my friend whose grandmother served them to us. He said that his grandmother used to hold a grater over a pan of hot oil and rub the dough through the grater to make the little fried dough balls. They were delicious!

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

For Passover my mom would but Soup Nuts to add to the soup, I think they were made by Manischewitz.

found this recipe for soup nuts/mandlen http://www.jewishfood-list.com/recipes/misc/mandlen01.html

The Croutons from Olsem are FANTASTIC, I first had them when I first went to Israel in 1979. When even I want a taste of Israel I will buy a jar of them and I will just eat them straight from the jar. There is a store in Oadland that I went to a few months ago, I have found them lately at Albertson's and Safeway stores too.

Too bad I can't get a few bottles of Kinley soda Coca~Cola bottles in Israel.

Our Shabbos dinner tonight consisted of:

Romaine, tomato, peppers, olive salad in garlicky wine vinaigrette

gallery_10011_1589_41454.jpg

Roasted local Georgia Vidalia onions

gallery_10011_1589_56972.jpg

Roasted asparagus

gallery_10011_1589_19688.jpg

Turkey breast with sausage stuffing (not especially summer food!)

gallery_10011_1589_8593.jpg

Fresh summery fruits

gallery_10011_1589_36413.jpg

Wine and challah, of course ...

A sweet, peaceful, summery Shabbat shalom to everyone!

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

It is so rare that we sit down en famille for a Shabbat dinner, that I grabbed the camera and took a couple of pictures!

Started with Sunomono salads. I wanted to try out the mock crab meat - it wasn't bad, but didn't have much flavour.

gallery_25849_641_69801.jpg

And then we had haddock fillets baked in 'sauteed eggplant' (mix of eggplant, tomatoes, onions, garlic, etc.), with garlic roasted cauliflower and new potatoes simply with butter and parsley.

gallery_25849_641_246273.jpg

The fish doesn't photograph well, but it was delicious!

Shabbat Shalom!

edited because haddock and halibut are not the same thing - and these were halibut, not haddock :wink:

Edited by Pam R (log)

Calissons

Unsure of what calissons were, I searched and was delighted to find:

calissons are almond shaped specialties from Aix-en-Provence (in the South of France), made with pâte d'amande (almond paste), sugar and crystallized melons, with a layer of feuille d'hostie (the thin wafer the catholic host is made of) at the bottom, and a crispy sugar coating on top. It is also one of my very favorite confections.
which you obviously bought on that fantastic trip!from the Chocolate and Zucchini blog :biggrin:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Now that the weather's warm....

New garlic and zuchinni soup (chilled)

Curried cod, pan seared with raita

Chickpeas and onions (a Keralan dish)

Minted Ice Tea

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

• 2 weeks later...

My menu for last night:

Chilled zucchini and garlic scape soup

Tart of mushrooms and mozzerella in a garlic-thyme crust

Salad of arugala with a yogurt dressing

Blueberries and mascarpone

Dalton Rose to drink.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Shabbat night dinner was a stuffed, roast chicken - stuffing was diced sweet potatoes, dried cherry tomatoes, onions, sage, thyme, S&P, cooked briefly in chicken broth and then well mixed with sourdough bread cubes (I'm still finding ways to use up bread leftovers). Turkey wing soup, several small meze-type salads.

Shabbat lunch was an entire turkey shwarma with the bone, marinated in herbs and merlot, which gave it the ghastly purple color of coq au vin but was tasty all the same, and baked rice/zucchini. Lettuce and tomaotes in vinaigrette. Pretty simple all around, but it took it out of me to produce. The July heat, probably.

Miriam

Miriam Kresh

Shabbat lunch was an entire turkey shwarma with the bone, marinated in herbs and merlot, which gave it the ghastly purple color of coq au vin but was tasty all the same, and baked rice/zucchini. Lettuce and tomaotes in vinaigrette. Pretty simple all around, but it took it out of me to produce. The July heat, probably.

Ah... details on the turkey shwarma bivakasha! I'm confused - thinking that shwarma is like gyros, the meat on a rotisserie, sliced off the edges as it cooks. So when you say with the bone, it throws my understanding through the ringer! :laugh:

It seems everybody I know is just returning from Israel, telling me stifling how hot it is - I hope you can keep cool.

Ah... details on the turkey shwarma bivakasha! I'm confused - thinking that shwarma is like gyros, the meat on a rotisserie, sliced off the edges as it cooks. So when you say with the bone, it throws my understanding through the ringer! :laugh:

It seems everybody I know is just returning from Israel, telling me stifling how hot it is - I hope you can keep cool.

I am in Germany at the moment and it is very hot here, too!

Shabbat Shalom everyone.

Miriam may have made her shwarma with turkey legs.