• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What We're Cooking for Shabbos: 2004 - 2006

bloviatrix

Miriam Kresh's images from her dinner:

gallery_42832_2726_723646.jpg

Za'atar: Great dip for slices of challah: garlic, salt, za'atar herb with toasted sesame seeds, and a squeeze of lemon juice.

gallery_42832_2726_514656.jpg

During these weeks, fresh garlic is available by the ton. I buy about 9 kilos every spring and it lasts all year (taking into account that about 10 months from now some will have spoiled). Since fresh oregano is on the market, too, I love to make this oregano- and fresh garlic-infused olive oil, which becomes the base for vinaigrette.

gallery_42832_2726_439775.jpg

chicken stewed with carrots, sweet potatoes and prunes

First the chicken pieces were sauteed in olive oil. Small amounts of dried sage and thyme, rubbed off the stalks and crumbled, were added, with a little fresh curry powder, a dollop of soy sauce, and a good splash of red wine. Not much salt. Carrots, sweet potatoes, and prunes contributed a slight sweetness; in the end I also added a little tamarindi sauce and freshly-grated black pepper. Served with hand-made couscous, and orange mead, it was not bad.

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Like others, I'm trying to finish open bags/boxes of grains/pasta etc.

Last night was:

New wave borscht

Lamb chops rubbed with garlic and rosemary

Steamed asparagus

Roasted parsnips

Bulgur pilaf with orzo and hazlenuts

Marble sponge cake

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Wow, za'atar, I can live on it!

We're also getting ready for Passover. We had:

Hummous Tahina

Rice stuffed yebra

Lentil, brown Basmati rice and barley stew

Tomato salad

Small oven 'fried' polenta cakes

Spinach salad

Challah (from dough I had in the freezer!)

and for dessert:

home made maple syrup flan with apple slices and crushed cugar cone topping

I had to get rid of those cones somehow!

Yes, another dairy meal, Kiddle says she is weary of chicken and lamb, and for Passover we will be visiting my sister, in the house of meat!

I hope that everyone has a wonderful Passover.

Edited by Rebecca263 (log)

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

Shabbat Shalom and Chag Pesach Sameach Everyone!

Tonight we are having:

Artichoke with garlic mayonnaise

Corned beef (My first time ever! I called my Grandmother for pointers)

Roasted potato and cauliflower

Red wine

Challah

Orange and ginger cake (I am testing dessert for Pesach)

Had to get some food from the caterer this week because our kitchen is ready for Pesach and we have no food!

-Chicken soup (homemade)

-Crudite with dip

-Stuffed chicken

-Green beans

-Grilled veggies (on chopstick skewers- cool idea!)

-Assorted pastries for dessert

Better food next week. :rolleyes:

Shabbat Shalom everyone! My daughter is going to Florida Sunday, and won't return until Wednesday right before the Seder, so I allowed her to choose dinner entirely. We're having:

Salsa and kidney bean dip with carrots

Fresh 'torn' pasta with a tomato and mushroom sauce and Parmesan Reggiano

Sauteed zucchini with grilled onion

Fresh pineapple drizzled with chocolate

Mini sugar cookies and Oolong tea

Popcorn, reading together and cuddles for after!

We have an extra message in our prayers this week... I have a job interview on Tuesday... in the food industry, a job that I have NO experience in, but have always though would be a good fit for my personality... outside sales/delivery... I'll let you all know if it works out... I was recruited! :smile:

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

We have an extra message in our prayers this week... I have a job interview on Tuesday... in the food industry, a job that I have NO experience in, but have always though would be a good fit for my personality... outside sales/delivery... I'll let you all know if it works out... I was recruited! :smile:

Behatzlacha Rebecca!

Shabbat Shalom and Chag Peseach Sameach everyone.

To make for the not so great food at the seder the other night, we had:

Artichoke

Matzah Ball soup

Veal Roast

gallery_8006_298_129942.jpg

Here is a before picture.

Corn and peas

Sweet Potato

Orange and ginger cake

• 3 weeks later...

We actually had a family Shabbat dinner this week.

Roasted Chicken with a new spice rub mom was testing for the store's take-out

BBQ Short Ribs

Kasha and Varniskes (how I swoon for kasha!)

Sauteed garlic zucchini

Tossed Salad with vinaigrette

We had a nice Shabbat this week! My #1boy has come for a visit, so we had 3 at the table. We had pan sauteed scrod, Greek style, with steamed and then sauteed string beans and a fresh, very sweet challah! A wonderful and simple dinner!

Oh, and I got the job! I am a local route salesperson for a company that distributes ethnic and specialty products to grocers, with a nice emphasis on Kosher products, including Manischewitz! :smile:

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Mazel Tov on your new job Rebecca.

Shabbat Shalom everyone!

We had:

Artichoke with mayonnaise

Salmon with lemon, rosemary, garlic and white wine sauce

Haricot vert

Baked potato

Apricot Lekvar pound cake

Barkan white wine

Edited by Swisskaese (log)

• 2 weeks later...

Am I the only one having Shabbat dinner?!

I miss you guys.....

Just to make you feel guilty, I am having Shabbat dinner all by my lonesome :sad:.

My David :wub: is in London celebrating his mother's 89th birthday. And we will be rendevousing next week in Provence for a much needed vacation. Shavuot in Provence! Woo Hoo!

I had all by myself.....

Artichoke

Steak with rosemary and mustard

Roasted Cauliflower

Red wine

Shabbat Shalom everyone. See you in a couple of weeks.

Am I the only one having Shabbat dinner?!

Yes! I mean... no?

Shabbat Shalom Michelle.

I have no idea what'll be for dinner tonight - we're catering a pre-bat-mitzvah Israeli themed shabbat dinner. But I will have dinner with my parents and sister.

You're not alone!

Shabbat Shalom! I've been ill. The job is too physically demanding, and I've had a setback. I had to take this week off, to let my skin grow back a little.

Tonight we'll be having turkey meatball soup and a colorful salad of apples, mixed greens, peaches and zucchini, with an apple cider vinegar dressing, for dinner.

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

We've been invited out so I haven't been cooking. But, we're in this week. Actually, we're hosting lunch tomorrow.

Tonight is borscht, something with chicken thighs, and roasted peppers.

Lunch tomorrow is a picnic theme:

Mesquite sausage and spinach salad

Corned Beef w/ a bourbon glaze

Pasta salad with a pignoli-herb sauce

Cole slaw w/lemon mayo

Mango Soup for dessert

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

Coming in a little late in the week, but this was Shabbat dinner:

Chicken soup

Pan-roasted turkey wings

Glazed carrots and turnips

Potatoes mashed with cooked kohlrabi. It came out light and savory, especially because the potatoes had been cooked in water with some onion slices in it.

on the side: pepperonata, olives, sliced, salted cucumbers, za'atar dip.

Fresh, home-baked challah - I'm trying out new variations every week. This last one was made from dark flour (not whole wheat, I don't know what it may be called outside of Israel) and was salty, not traditionally sweet.

Dessert: raspberry, tangerine, and strawberry sorbets. I have been going sorbet-mad, too. The family does not object. :smile:

Wine: a dry orange melomel, one that just came ready. Backlog of meads to drink up in the house, and I promoised myself to stop all this brewing...but all the summer fruit is just coming into season and I don't know if I'm strong enough to resist their alluring looks...

Miriam

Miriam Kresh

blog:[blog=www.israelikitchen.com][/blog]

• 3 weeks later...

Dinner tonight will be:

Raw yellowtail with mint, scallions, and sesame oil

Roasted rainbow trout stuffed with turnip greens, pine nuts and currents

Zucchini sauted in butter

Sweet noodle kugle

Cocoa Nib Ice Cream

Goose Bay Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc 2004 (NZ)

Rye Bread instead of challah.

We'll be having vegetable and couscous soup and chocolate pots de creme for dessert.

I'm tying to conserve energy for the job and Sundays with kiddle, so cooking has become very simple lately. Shabbat Shalom!

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Shabbat dinner was:

Chicken soup (we like a lot of cilantro in our chicken soup)

Roast chicken with vegetables. Simple, but good - nobody jumped up from their chair complaining. I steamed carrots and some unpeeled garlic cloves; put them aside. In the same water, steamed about 5 small onions; put them aside. Still in the same water, steamed halved small potatoes.

Rubbed the chicken (cut into eighths) with Hawaj spice and paprika and thyme and S&P, then with olive oil. Squeezed a lemon over the whole. Put baking paper in the roasting pan; put the veg on top. Laid the grill over the vegetables; arranged the chicken on top. The veg finished cooking in the drippings from the roasting chicken...I'd forgotten how good garlic is roasted this way - you squish the sweet/pungent, chicken-flavored flesh out of its papery shell with your knife and spread it on your challah...oh Garlic Heaven. I feel like roasting about 3 heads of garlic like this next time. The chicken is merely the flavoring agent for the garlic. (Wampires, bevare.)

The challah turned out well. I've been experimenting with different flours and recipes for bread, so the challah is different every week.

Tomatoes are in full swing, so salad was yellow and red cherry tomatoes sprinkled with finely-chopped chives, olive oil, and salt.

Wine: Miriam's Tomato Wine 2005. Crisp and dry and golden. Nobody ever guesses what it's made of.

Miriam

Miriam Kresh

The chicken is merely the flavoring agent for the garlic.
:biggrin: Absolutely! When I get in a chicken-roasting mood, we go through one sleeve of garlic per weekend...

Could you be persuaded to post your challah recipe or add it to recipeGullet?

The meal sounds lovely, all 'round. Tomato wine, brilliant...

I'll post the challah recipe here, for the meantime. I did go to RecipeGullet, but found myself hesitating to post it there because I don't know how to describe the flour I used in terms that make sense to folks outside Israel. It was Shtiebel's "country flour", which is light brown. It is not entirely whole-wheat, but has all the bran removed. These loaves have a soft crumb, due to the oil and the eggs.

For this quantity, I don't bother with the mixer, but mix and knead by hand.

Brown Bread Challah

Ingredients:

1 kg. light-brown flour, and more for the work top

1 3/4 cups warm water

1/4 cup corn oil

2 eggs, beaten

1/4 cup sugar

1 T salt

1 cube of fresh yeast

Method:

Put the yeast and all the water in a small mixing bowl. Sprinkle a little of the sugar over the water; let it all sit together for a while.

In the meantime, sift the flour. Pour it into a large mixing bowl.

Stir the yeast and water to dissolve. Make a well in the center of the flour and pour the yeast into it. Don't mix yet; pour the oil, sugar, and eggs in, too. Mix slightly, and add the salt.

Beat the dough well, till it resists the spoon; a few minutes. Tip the dough out onto your table or work top, kneading in any remaining flour or scraps from the bowl.

Knead 10 minutes, sprinkling the dough ball with extra flour to keep it from getting too sticky to work with. Don't use much; up to 1/4 cup. You want the dough just a little sticky.

Allow the dough to rest for a few minutes while you wash the mixing bowls and spoon. Dry the large bowl and pour a few drops of oil into it.

Tackle the dough again; knead for one more minute to achieve a very smooth texture. Place the dough ball in the large bowl and turn it around in the oil a few times to coat it. Cover all with plastic wrap and place it someplace warm to rise till fluffy and almost doubled in bulk. It will not double completely. Rising should take an hour to an hour and a quarter, depending on how warm the dough is keeping.

Knock the dough down. Shape into three round loaves, or braid into two challot. Place the bread on the pan where it will bake.

Allow to rise 1/2 hour longer. In the meantime, preheat the oven to 300 F; 150 C.

If baking as round loaves, slash the surfaces just before putting the bread in the oven. Glaze with a beaten egg if desired, and if baking braided challot, it looks especially Shabbosdik.

Bake for 1 hour, then check for doneness. The bread may need another 10 minutes in the oven. Allow to cool on a rack, covered with a dry, clean kitchen towel.

Refrain from gobbling the bread up before Shabbos sets in. Once you've set the table and the folks are gathered around, I let you eat. :biggrin:

Miriam

Miriam Kresh