• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What We're Cooking for Shabbos: 2004 - 2006

bloviatrix

I heard the "Kosher" shrimp.crab etc... (whitefish/pollack) is made by:

Dyna-Sea Group

765 Carroll Pl.

Teaneck, N.J. 07666

(201) 928-0432

Imitation Crabmeat and shrimp

Hashgacha: Kof-K (pareve)

I am not sure but you would have to see or call them for yourself. Goodluck!

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

• 2 weeks later...

It's winter!!

Curried Lentil soup with tomatoes and spinach

Brisket in tomato sauce

Bulgur pilaf with currents

Sweet potatoes dressed with a mustard vinaigrette.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I have lurked forever and finally decided to take the plunge and join in! Thank you all for your continued inspiration. This past Shabbos we had:

-Rosemary White Bean Soup

-Chopped liver with carmelized onions on crackers

-Roasted red pepper dip on crackers (for those who don't like liver)

- Brisket cooked with portabello mushrooms and cranberries (adaptation of an old Gourmet recipe)

- Mashed potato stuffed onions

-Roasted Asparagus

-Chocolate-espresso 'pot de creme' (pareve of course...)

For lunch the next day:

-Lemon-barley pilaf

-Chicken shnitzel

-green salad with vinaigrette

-carrot cake with pareve cream cheese icing for dessert.

My first post on eGullet...yay! :smile:

Welcome to the Shabbos thread, Miraklegirl! Your menu sounds absolutely terrific!

Chopped liver with carmelized onions on crackers is my kind of food ... and your onions stuffed with mashed potatoes sounds equally delicious ... we look forward to hearing all of your food creations here and thanks for not lurking any longer .. :wink:

b'shalom!

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Miraklegirl- YUM! I had broth, which I'm sick of. Kiddle had a pan grilled cumin spiced chicken breast dressed with steamed chopped broccoli. Also, a really delicious sweet potato baked and then mashed with a pinch of salt, 2 pinches of sugar,a drizzle of olive oil and a spoonful of raisins, then browned. She ate the entire thing!

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

Last Shabbos was another "theme meal" .. this time it was a faux summer picnic .. cole slaw, potato salad (husband's favorite), and fried chicken .. even though it was cold outside, it seemed refreshingly different .. "all we need", the wise husband concluded, "is a red checkered tablecloth and a few mosquitoes" ... after a few mouthfuls, he got into the spirit of the theme ... :wink:

I've been trying out some not-so-well received stuff lately.

This week was

homemade challah (our newest favorite. The Kosher Palette's delicious challah recipe but with 1 cup whole wheat flour substituted for 1 cup of the white.)

veggie matzoh-ball soup (well-received)

butternut squash lasagna (not-so-well-received and leftovers tossed immediately)

lightly cooked broccoli

(and there are still constant requests for "the tart" which is pretty much anything on top of the thyme crust.)

jayne

I have lurked forever and finally decided to take the plunge and join in! Thank you all for your continued inspiration. This past Shabbos we had:

-Rosemary White Bean Soup

-Chopped liver with carmelized onions on crackers

-Roasted red pepper dip on crackers (for those who don't like liver)

- Brisket cooked with portabello mushrooms and cranberries (adaptation of an  old Gourmet recipe)

- Mashed potato stuffed onions

-Roasted Asparagus

-Chocolate-espresso 'pot de creme' (pareve of course...)

For lunch the next day:

-Lemon-barley pilaf

-Chicken shnitzel

-green salad with vinaigrette

-carrot cake with pareve cream cheese icing for dessert.

Welcome. How did you make the pot de creme?

(and there are still constant requests for "the tart" which is pretty much anything on top of the thyme crust.)

Jayne, if you feel you need a break from the tart, just change the herb used in the crust. Basil is nice and it turns the dough green. But chives would work or oregano, etc.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

Welcome.  How did you make the pot de creme?

Heat 1.5 c. soy milk in the microwave until very hot (almost boiling). Once hot, I added about 4 tablespoons instant coffee or espresso powder. Combine 2 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips, 2 eggs, and 1/4 c. sugar in the foodprocessor. Add in hot soy milk and blend for about 2 minutes. Pour into ramekins and let set for at least 3 hours.

I've made it three days in advance, and it hasn't suffered for it at all....

Tonight is something of a Thanksgiving reprise ... without pumpkin pie though ... :wink:

Chicken soup with noodles

Greek salad (sans feta at a meat meal)

Turkey-red pepper meatballs

Sweet potato souffle (no marshmallows!)

Port-steeped cranberries with apples

Harvard beets

Apple cake

Wine and challah

Jayne, thanks for reminding me to wish everyone a Shabbat Shalom!

gallery_10011_1595_7747.jpg

Jayne, if you feel you need a break from the tart, just change the herb used in the crust. Basil is nice and it turns the dough green. But chives would work or oregano, etc.

We've got a bit of a variation this week. Included some cornmeal as well as some oregano as well as a garlic clove that started to sprout. (I've decided that it counts as a garlic chive.) Topping is going to be kale, zucchini, and cheese.

Shabbat Shalom everyone.

jayne

First of all, Melissa - there's nothing wrong with a few marshmallows every once in a while!

I've only posted in this thread a couple of times - but I love reading up on what you're all serving each week. When my grandmother was still alive, every Friday night there was a feast at her house. It wasn't just eating dinner - it was a tradition. Dinner always lasted for hours - with all of my aunts, uncles and cousins sharing wonderful food and talking about our lives.

Baba hasn't been with us for many years now - and unfortunately we don't all gather as a family anymore. Dinner for my immediate family (parents & sister) has turned into whatever is left in the showcase that day at work. Now - that's not such a bad thing, but we've lost the special Shabbat feeling that I loved so dearly.

So though I don't often post here, please know that I really enjoy hearing what's you and your families are sharing.

Don't feel bad for me - I still eat well!

Tonight we had options:

BBQ Short Ribs

Apricot Peri Peri Chicken

Roasted Vegetables

Lemon Potatoes

Kasha

Sesame Garlic Sugar Snap Peas

Cole Slaw

I think there were knishes too...

I don't think there was enough of any one item for all of us to have, but we all had a good plateful :biggrin:

for dessert:

Gingerbread/Pear Hamantashen

Chocolate/Sour Cherry Hamantashen

Poppyseed Hamantashen

With that, I wish you all a Shabbat Shalom.

Last night's meal was:

Parsnip and corriander soup - went shopping in the freezer. :smile:

Lamp chops rubbed with a thyme/garlic/evoo rub and topped with a Pear-prune compote

Artichokes and carrots in lemon sauce (an old favorite we haven't had in ages)

Orzo "risotto"

Shavua Tov Everyone!

My other half has been away for the past five weeks and I was not at home for Shabbat.

He's back! Yeah!!! :wub:

We had the following for Shabbat:

Chicken with tangerine, lemon, garlic and pomegranate

Artichoke with garlic-thyme mayonnaise

Roasted cauliflower

Santori Cake (Apple & Walnut cake) I used 1-1/2 cups of sugar instead of 3 cups

Edited by Swisskaese (log)

Shabbat Shalom Everyone.

We had the following:

Artichoke with garlic mayonnaise

Steak with a red wine, sage, thyme, mustard and lemon sauce

Roasted cauliflower

Steamed broccoli

Spanish red wine

Fresh Orange Cake

I'm on the disabled list with an injured wrist/hand. I can't handle a knife to chop or stir a pot. So, my darling husband has stepped in. Last night's dinner was:

Baby greens with a honey balsamic vinaigrette

Veal chops rubbed with rosemary, garlic and evoo

Artichokes and carrots in a lemon sauce

Bulgur with cardamoms, cloves, and cinnamon

The veal chops were really good.

Back in the kitchen after two weeks of not cooking. It's a pleasure to hold a chef's knife with minimal discomfort.

Bourdain's mushroom soup

Short-ribs braised in an ancho coffee sauce over rice

Cider roasted carrots

Dalton Galilee Shiraz, 2003. A bit too much oak for my tastes. But, otherwise ready to drink.

Blovie, glad your wrist is better and hope it stays in good shape.

OK everyone, don't laugh now but I just made chicken soup for the first time in my life. As a reminder, I've been a vegetarian since 1979 so it's never been really high on my radar screen . However, my husband isn't a vegetarian and my children aren't either (although they are a bit picky and do eat mostly vegetarian because that's what I mostly cook.)

My husband is pretty good about it but I know he appreciates the meat meals when I make them. It's a bit tricky for me since I really have no idea what they taste like. He finds it very funny... the way I look at him while he's eating to see if I've made something edible. (We have had some spectacular failures for meat and non-meat meals.) So I made what most people consider a regular Shabbos meal but in my case, this was a really big thing......

chicken soup with matzoh balls

pan roasted chicken breasts with an herb and roasted lemon pan sauce

roasted veggies with thyme and garlic (my dinner)

boston lettuce salad (lately, we've been using reduced balsamic on it's own as a salad dressing.)

What a mess!!! The strainer I'd bought ages ago but never used had a wide, flat bottom and would have been great for rinsing veggies. It was not so great at straining out chicken soup. It all worked in the end though and was all very appreciated. The chicken even reheated well so I may consider serving it at the seder along with a type of brisket that I made on my first brisket attempt.

We had the following for Shabbat:

Artichoke with garlic mayonnaise

Roasted chicken with lemon, thyme and whole heads of garlic

Rice mixture that I bought in Taiwan (It has mung bean, barley, red rice, short grain rice, short grain brown rice)

Green Peas

Fresh strawberries

Swiss white wine (from Geneva) wasn't my favourite

We had meal of some of our favorites.

Black Bean soup with coconut, chile and lime (didn't love this.)

Veal Shnitzel

Kasha Varniskes - once Pesach comes this won't be eaten again until fall.

Brocolini sauted with garlic

Pear and prune compote

Dalton shiraz to drink.

We had our pre-Passover Shabbos meal which means that we are in the process of cleaning out items and combining them in interesting ways:

Soup made from a package of Manischewitz dry pea soup mix and from the freezer, leftover flanken and chicken which I had never bothered to defrost :hmmm:

A green salad which used up my homemade dressing

Gravlax from the freezer

Chicken breasts with tomatoes, garlic, basil

Couscous

A Trader Joe's fruit compote ... to use up the dried apricots, orange-flavored cranberries, golden raisins and combined it with some lemon peel and Port

Actually, given the circumstances, this was a very good meal .. and served its purpose of preparing for Passover ... :wink:

Shabbat Shalom everyone!

We are having a dairy Shabbat because we have vegetarian guests coming for dinner.

Artichokes with garlic mayonnaise

Pumpkin gnocchi with a brown butter sauce, crisped sage and parmegianno-reggiano

gallery_8006_298_15403.jpg

Guests brought Sweet Potato soup and a mushroom & spinach quiche

Salad of baby greens

Torta della Nonna

Challah

Spanish red wine

Shavua Tov, Shabbos Foodies :smile:

Friday night we had:

za'atar for dipping

handmade chumus

chicken stewed with carrots, sweet potatoes and prunes

home-made couscous (my daughter's Moroccan mother-in-law taught us how)

dessert was simply sliced strawberries with a little sugar sprinkled over them.

Shabbat morning was less interesting:

guacamole

chicken shnitzels

potato kugel

cold broccoli salad

tossed green salad of lettuce and aragula in vinaigrette

carmelized turnips and onions

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?act=mo...md=si&img=49117

I'm still a bit clumsy posting images, so I'm hoping this uploads well...

Miriam

Miriam Kresh

blog:[blog=www.israelikitchen.com][/blog]

Shavuah Tov!

Between work and getting ready for Pesach, our meals were carb laden and very hastily prepared this week:

-chicken soup with wontons (chicken kreplach made in wonton skins)

-asian brocolli slaw

-kasha

-cajun oven fried chicken thighs

-corn on the cob

-homemade chocolate chip cookies and fresh berries for dessert

Last week we had company so things were a bit better:

-chicken soup with those little square noodles (we just call them 'squares')

-green salad with peppers and cherry tomatoes

-mushroom brisket

-potato kugel

-barley and lemon pilaf

-roasted asparagus

-a trio of mini cupcakes for dessert (brownie cupcakes with chocolate frosting, carrot cake cupcakes with pareve cream cheese frosting, and pecan pie cupcakes with toasted pecan garnish)

Edited by Miraklegirl (log)