• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What We're Cooking for Shabbos: 2004 - 2006

bloviatrix

We are about to sit down to potato pancakes ... with fresh beyond fresh wild caught salmon sashimi! I can not wait to see kiddle's face when she sees how I've incorparated sashimi with potato pancakes! And, alongside, we're having an immense mixed greens salad with goat cheese, chick peas, gorgeous tomatoes and lots of fresh vegetables tossed in. Everyone promised to bring desserts. I'm hoping for a jelly donut. Her friends are walking in the door now, Shabbat Shalom!

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

roasted red pepper soup

green salad

Turkey schnitzel

potato kugel

cranberry-port stuffed acorn squash

black raspberry-apple tart

gallery_10011_1589_37510.jpg

Please say a prayer for the sick tonight.
in our hearts and thoughts today ... a heartfelt refuah shelemah - a full recovery to health -

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

We hosted dinner for 7.

Onion confit on baguette toasts

Spicy black bean chowder, pineapple-banana salsa

Herb crusted veal roast, red wine-mustard sauce

wild rice and orzo salad

rosemary caramelized parsnips

brussel sprouts, sauted

flourless chocolate cake

concord grape sorbet

To drink: Ch. Leoville-Poyferre '99, Recanati SR Galilee '00, Arberlour 15 yr, Compass Box Orangerie, Damson liqueur.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

My Jewish Sisters:

I've lurked on this thread since forever, and this Episcopalian wishes to tell you that you rock. With Sunday dinner, sadly, mostly a thing of the past I love that you cook such beautiful meals for Shabbos. I envy the fellowship around your tables and and on this thread.

Bonus for me: Terrific menu ideas. This shiksa appreciates the inspiration!

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

• 2 weeks later...

Shabbat Shalom everyone:

Artichokes with Aioli

Couscous stuffed chicken with dried sour cherries, walnuts, pomegranate molasses, honey and ras al hanut

Couscous

Green beans

Tishbi red

Lemon cake

Cocoa brownies with bittersweet chocolate chunks and walnuts

Edited by Swisskaese (log)

Shabbat Shalom!

we're having:

Challah!

Steamed string beans atop-

A stew made from chicken legs, barley, brown rice, carrots, lentils and onions with Asian seasonings,

Pineapple

and fresh ginger cookies.

Everyone, be well, and have peace.

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

I've been asked to make "the tart"

My children love the thyme crust (thanks bloviatrix!) Actually, we're at the point where they will try eating anything I serve in a crust. (Empanadas, calzones, etc....)

I've got zucchini as well as swiss chard but am waiting for them to get home from school to make the tart. I've also got some shitake mushrooms and red onion to go into the tart depending on which veggie they help me make for the tart.

Whichever doesn't go in/on the tart will be the side dish.

They'll be making the salad. (tomato, romaine, yellow peppers, cukes, & carrots, nothing fancy.)

If we have time, we might make a carrot cake for dessert.

Shabbat Shalom

jayne (who just remembered she has to take a challah from the freezer!)

Good Shabbos from our non-kosher, Jewish home...

Tonight it's:

grilled shrimp over pasta

steamed broccoli

salad

challah

Candle lighting here at 5:02... at least it's after 5:00pm again.

Sitting on the fence between gourmet and gourmand, I am probably leaning to the right...

Lyle P.

Redwood City, CA

I received a phone call yesterday from a good friend asking if she can come over for dinner with her daughter as her husband had go out of town suddenly. So, I'm cooking for 3 adults and one 4 yr old.

Spinach salad with slices of mesquite sausage and pears

Parsnip Soup

Veal Schnitzel

Chicken with preserved lemons and olives

Kasha Varnishkes

Roasted Cauliflower

Brownies for dessert

There will be wine. Just don't know which one yet.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

Dinner tonight consisted of:

gallery_10011_1589_13787.jpg

Roasted red pepper soup

Green salad with *sherry shallot dressing

Gefilte fish with cocktail sauce

*Orange marmalade-ginger chicken breasts

gallery_10011_1589_108007.jpg

Potato kugel

Garlic spinach

Vegetable melange

Cranberry applesauce

Cinnamon babka with cherries and strawberries

gallery_10011_1589_78572.jpg

Moscato di Asti wine

Challah

*trying new recipe

Orange marmalade chicken recipe on Recipe Gullet

Good Shabbos from our non-kosher, Jewish home...

Tonight it's:

grilled shrimp over pasta

steamed broccoli

salad

challah

Candle lighting here at 5:02...  at least it's after 5:00pm again.

Here are pictures of our shabbat dinner:

gallery_26331_2415_95040.jpg

gallery_26331_2415_121766.jpg

gallery_26331_2415_271381.jpg

Sitting on the fence between gourmet and gourmand, I am probably leaning to the right...

Lyle P.

Redwood City, CA

Did I see you on TV once? Maybe a cooking show that was filmed in Napa and you were doing a BBQ cookoff?

As baubie would say, "From your mouth to G-d's ear!" :laugh:

No TV in Napa, but it sure sounds fun! [/HOMER] Mmmm... BBQ [/END HOMER]

Lyle P.

Redwood City, CA

I made a crazy meal for friday night. The dishes didn't match. The only theme, if you want to stretch that far is that I went south of the Mason-Dixon line.

Parsnip Soup

"Shrimp" Creole ( I had a package of the mock shrimp in the freezer calling my name)

Chili rubbed roasted chicken with a roasted tomatillo and chile sauce

Baron Herzog Clarksburg Chenin Blanc 2004 to drink.

"Shrimp" Creole ( I had a package of the mock shrimp in the freezer calling my name)

How is that mock shrimp? I've been getting the mock crab in and it's been selling like crazy... but I haven't tried the shrimp - for some reason I'm scared of it. :blink:

What is kosher "shrimp" and "crab" made out of?

Pollock is the main ingredient here, Pan ... surimi, an ancient Japanese process by which minced fish is converted into a protein base, used to produce a variety of these fish foods... in this case, imitation shrimp, lobster, crab ... today, kosher surimi (produced under supervision, of course!) is deemed a reasonable facsimile of the real thing .. Louis Kemp Seafoods does something similar but this is not kosher supervised ...

Imitation seafood (called surimi) is made from mild-flavored fish such as Alaskan pollock. The fish is skinned, boned and rinsed to tone down its taste, smell and pigment. It's then minced, colored and blended with flavor concentrate made from shellfish. Then it's cooked and cut into various shapes to look like shrimp, lobster chunks, crab legs and scallops. Interestingly, surimi (meaning "minced fish" in Japanese) was developed in Japan almost 1,000 years ago.
source of quote .. sushiman

how it looks .. :wink: but, this is important, no cholesterol!

How is that mock shrimp? I've been getting the mock crab in and it's been selling like crazy... but I haven't tried the shrimp - for some reason I'm scared of it. :blink:

I believe it tastes exactly like the mock crab (if you've tried it). The texture is really odd - it's not minced. I would call it "extruded" and tinted orange. I very rarely use it. But, every so often I come across a recipe that I feel a need to try, and then it comes in handy.

They sell the mock shrimp here and also serve them sometimes at the company cafeteria. I tried them once. I just couldn't get past the texture. I am not crazy about them.

When I was in China, they had what I thought was mock shrimp made with pollock, but I forgot that I was at a Buddhist restaurant and realized after I took a bite that these were soya shrimps. The texture was more rubbery than the pollock version and I couldn't finish the dish. The rest of the meal was outstanding.

Tonight's Shabbos dinner had a distinctly oriental theme:

gallery_10011_1589_71017.jpg

Chicken soup with thin vermicelli noodles, scallions

Tomato salad with sherry vinaigrette

Oriental chicken breasts marinated in Five Spice Blend, soy sauce, scallions

gallery_10011_1589_93283.jpg

Jasmine rice

Roasted golden beets with orange peel, fresh ginger

Cranberry-apple stuffed acorn squash

Carpaccio of oranges scented with star anise orange reduction

gallery_10011_1589_95938.jpg

Challah

Wine

Oriental Chicken breasts in Recipe Gullet

Orange carpaccio recipe in Recipe Gullet

Turned out to be an interesting meal .. Shabbat shalom!

I have a wide collection of oriental figures from my years of teaching about Ancient China ...

We had roasted beets on a bed of greens with balsamic vinegar. No challah, because I am too sick to leave the house today, and so we had brioche from the freezer. Kiddle was overjoyed to discover that she actually likes beets. Yay, and thank you, Rt9 Farmer's Market, for the one dollar pineapples (I bought 5)! Shabbat Shalom, everyone!

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

If any of you ladies are local to Bergen Co preferably Paramus and points north... I saw what some of you cooked and it looks real good for shabbos. However I don't cook myself... well rarely. I am looking for home-made challah and/or lessons (not from a store!) and if anyone has seating for a zoftig woman and patience to teach please PM me, else I could just buy it from you and dream, THANKS! :biggrin:

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

I made a very simple meal. A bit heavy considering the beautiful spring-like day.

Mushroom barley soup

Braised short ribs with mushrooms and prunes

Kasha varnishkes.

We've been on a kv kick this winter - they're so delicious and we only eat them from November through about March.