• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Teahouse, Cafe, Hotel and Restaurant Tea Reviews

phaelon56

OK. I was reading about all your coffee experiences and being a tea toddler I wanted to know beside making a wonderful cup of tea at home, and bringing your own tea with you ( As the owner of Melwood Creek Tea co in Melbourne FL suggested I do) does anyone know a place that makes a decent cup of tea?

I'm thinking not only afternoon tea but also after dinner.

(Tea not tisane)

OK. I was reading about all your coffee experiences and being a tea toddler I wanted to know beside making a wonderful cup of tea at  home, and bringing your own tea with you ( As the owner of Melwood Creek Tea co in Melbourne FL suggested I do) does anyone know a place that makes a decent cup of tea?

I'm thinking not only afternoon tea but also after dinner.

(Tea not tisane)

O-Cha-I (4517 St-Denis, 514 982-9229) is a pleasantly funky semi-basement with a lovely selection of teas and chais served with great care. They also sell pastries, desserts and, I believe, sandwiches. Closing time is quite late.

On my list of places to try is Camellia Sinensis on Emery St. Click here to go to their website.

For high tea with crumpets, clotted cream and crustless cucumber sandwiches, there's the Ritz-Carlton hotel. In the spring and summer, you can sit in the garden and watch the ducklings. I believe the St. James Hotel in Old Montreal also serves high tea.

Edited by carswell (log)

Carswell, good morning!

I have been to the Ritz for high tea, the ambience is wonderful in the garden!!

The tea isn't bad either.

I don't konw if you are a tea drinker, have you ever had a great cup of tea after

your meal in a restaurant? ( in Montreal)

Carswell-

I think you will enjoy Camellia Sinensis-

I would also suggest trying to attend the tea tasting sponsored by kyela teas-

I am going to try to attend-I llive in New Jersey and will drive up for a four day week end.

Joanne

I don't konw if you are a tea drinker, have you ever had a great cup of tea after your meal in a restaurant? ( in Montreal)

Hey, nilpoj. I often enjoy a cup of tea on workday afternoons in the winter and usually have a pitcher of sun tea (gasp!) in the fridge in summer. That said, I'm actually a coffee person and if I end a meal with a hot beverage, it tends to be an americano (aka an alongé), these days a decaf if much after five. Am not aware of any local restaurant that takes after-dinner tea service seriously. Are you?

I think you will enjoy Camellia Sinensis-

I would also suggest trying to attend the tea tasting sponsored by kyela teas-

I am going to try to attend-I llive in New Jersey and will drive up for a four day week end.

Thanks for the advice, Joanne. A couple of friends are tea lovers, so I'll suggest CS as a meeting place soon.

Re the tasting, I was unaware that connoisseurs attached importance to spring teas. Are young leaves prized for the delicacy of their flavour or is the purpose to get an idea of the "vintage," like vineyard reports and barrel tastings in the wine world?