• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ferry Plaza Market, San Francisco

Mr Soup wrote:
According to the scuttlebut on that other food board, our beloved Rancho Gordo will be having a booth there in the near future. The poster evoked the experience of eating chicken from Roti Roti on one of his corn tortillas. Now that's what I would call eating!

Sorry- I wasn't be coy about this. I never saw the entry. yes, it is true! I will be starting at the ferry building on Saturday, August 21, as long as I get all my paperwork together in time.

Gary, I hope you're my first customer!

Since I'm unlikely to sashay over there much before Noon, you'd better hope that I'm not your first customer. Would you settle for first-day customer?

• 2 weeks later...

Well, and how is our Rancho Gordo doing, Don Pardo? Did he sell his heirloom (hair loom?) beans?

Seriously, mon ami, how was the FPM on your first day?

Ironically (or not), I went to San Francisco this week, and did not go to the marketplace for the first time in over a year. But I sent friends, so that counts.

Everyone needs a tanabutler on their team, cheering them on to victory! And documenting it with photos.

It was a wild day. The other vendors told me it was slow but I was hustling, maybe being a novelty. It was nonstop until about 12n and then I noticed I hadn't made a sale in about 15 minutes, which was odd considering how busy I had been all morning. Apparently this is when the the tourists really move in and the locals leave. There were some nice tourists but I have come to believe that some of these people travel only to help themselves believe that "home" is better.

The highlight of the day was a visit by pim and the melkors and the parents of msmelkor. There were also several "spies" throughout the day that would take digital pics with their mobile phones and then call somewhere and read all my promo material aloud, always without ever saying hello to me.

It was a gas but a very long day (woke up at 3:30am), followed by a long trip home and then restaurant deliveries (including the new Wine Garden in Yountville- I think it's going to be swell). Now I feel like I have jet lag- but looking forward to next Saturday. If you want to say hi, I'm in the front, north, next to some dreamy potatoes (for beans and taters, natch!)

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

Is anyone going to the eGullet potluck also going to be at the market? I won't be getting into town early enough to visit El Otro Gordo, but have really been jonesing to try the beans. PM or reply if anyone is willing to be a dear and pick up some beans for me.

Thanks,

Walt

Walt Nissen -- Livermore, CA

Yes, the wonderful and helpful jschyun has graciously offered to get me my bean fix. Thanks!

What kind are you gonna get, huh, huh, huh? :smile:

I don't know! Isn't it great? Seriously, whatever two pounds Rancho Gordo will sell her is what I'm going to get. I'm just curious to try them, so I'll be happy regardless.

Walt

P.S. I've found that as long as I stand further from the stove, cooking in the nude is not as painful. Maybe I should start using the barbecque implements.

Walt Nissen -- Livermore, CA

If I were a stronger man, I would come to the park after the market, but I know myself and there's no way I can do it and still be fresh and pretty for Marin the next day.

Tanabutler- can't wait!

jschyun- I'm bringing seeds for you!

Squeat- I'm sending some handmade thickcut tortilla chips for you via jschyun, so give her hell if they don't make the journey!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

P.S. I've found that as long as I stand further from the stove, cooking in the nude is not as painful. Maybe I should start using the barbecque implements.

Try bacon, honey.

Or fried chicken :biggrin:

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

Squeat- I'm sending some handmade thickcut tortilla chips for you via jschyun, so give her hell if they don't make the journey!

Woohoo! Score! I knew if I made people feel sorry enough for me I could get some goodies out of it! In addition to getting to freeload at the picnic. :raz:

They better make it to the park, too, jschyun! Everyone knows that people who willingly spend more than half their time in that part of the state are inherently untrustworthy. :cool:

Squeat

wnissen: 2 pounds of any kind of bean eh? Okay, you asked for it.

Squeat: how can you distrust someone with a sweet, innocent face like mine? I'm sure there'll be a couple of shards left after I get out of the market, never fear...

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

Don't say I didn't warn y'all: do NOT eat even one of these chips. They are the best chips I have ever eaten. They must have crack cocaine in them, there is no other explanation for why they called me and called me. I'm proud to say that once I'd scarfed down the bag at all hours of the day and night, I had the willpower to JUST SAY NO to his future offers!!! :wacko::raz::wacko:

PS I miss you at the Oakland Market-'cause your tortillas and beans are wonderful... yet not quite as addicting.

They must have crack cocaine in them

Way to narc, Marie-Louise!:biggrin:

What kind of beans should I get tomorrow?

RG's Indian Woman beans are amazing.

Don't forget to pick up some tortillas (there's a reason his chips are so good!) Hmmm...now that I think about it, the first time I bought his tortillas, my husband & I scarfed down half of a package, just heated them over a gas flame w/ a little butter. You know how that goes, we were just going to split one so we could each have a bite, and then, well, it was so good we each wanted another, and, okay, I guess in hindsight they must have drugs in them as well. Perhaps he only puts nicotine in the tortillas-that's not too bad for you, is it? :smile:

Got a pic of rancho gordo's babies, I mean beans. I had a great time chitchatting and gossiping as per my usual crass self. I've seen a lot of bean varieties, but i had not heard of half of the ones he had in his stall! And these beans are truly beautiful.

i11990.jpg

--NeroW

I agree I could do without the double-wide strollers and the entitled attitude of the PacHeights/Marin County beautiful people, but if I get there at 8:00 I am out by 9:15, while most of them are still applying their makeup and picking out their matching sweatersets. Plus, with a little bit of searching, I am able to find reasonable prices on most things.

Or you can do what I do and go on Tuesdays (the joys of having days off during the week -- almost makes up for having to work on the weekends). There aren't as many vendors, but there are still quite a few, and you can actually stroll up to the stands without having to negotiate strollers and crowds. Plus, you don't have to get there at the crack of dawn -- the market opens at 10 on Tuesdays.

Chardgirl, Rancho: are you guys there on Tuesdays?

JAZ, I wish I could make it another day but I'm limited to Saturdays at the moment.

Last Saturday was kind of slow because of the heatwave but I got to meet one eGulleter after another. At one point I was running an eGullet salon. My friend who was helping me out is curious but not tempted re eGullet. After the last of you left he said, "They all have one thing in common!" and I was stumped until he made a Senor Wences gesture with his hand as if to suggest we all talk a lot!!! The nerve!

The "heavy hitters" seem to be in the back on the pier and it's much slower and more pleasant in front of the ferry building on Market Street, which makes little sense except that people are like lemmings in many ways. What's weirder is that a lot of customers, even regulars I talked to, had ZERO idea that the market went on in the back, thinking all the action was on Market Street and inside the ferry building!

Anyway, thanks for those that came for a visit!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

I think he was talking about me. Sorry to inflict me upon you Rancho. However, I did end up with your Good Mother Stallard beans so all is not lost.

--NeroW