• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ferry Plaza Market, San Francisco

don't save your oyster binge for swan. binge twice. once at hog island, and once at swan. word. (and don't forget, as the lovely gentleman next to me on my last visit did, that swan is cash only.)

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

The Tuesday market is much smaller so you really need to visit on Saturday to get the full effect. If you're cooking here, my favorites are greens at Star Route are famous, potatoes from David Little, bread from Della Fattoria, apples from Stan deVoto, rice from Massa, assorted vegetables from Catalan Farms, and of course I hear the beans from Rancho Gordo are worth the lines!

The Doc is being very kind. Unfortunately, I've "retired" from the market as I've actually grown too big for my britches (literally and figuratively) so I only make special guest appearances now. Joan and Sarah are much nicer (and prettier) and they will serve you well.

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

• 2 weeks later...
Lots of people really like the Charles Phan restaurant The Slanted Door. That's Vietnamese (mainly). I've never been; apparently there's always a line.

The Slanted Door is crazy, crazy popular. Always busy. Can be tough to get a table there.

If you like cocktails, I urge you to check out the bar. Really fantastic work going on there.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

• 2 weeks later...
The Tuesday market is much smaller so you really need to visit on Saturday to get the full effect. If you're cooking here, my favorites are greens at Star Route are famous, potatoes from David Little, bread from Della Fattoria, apples from Stan deVoto, rice from Massa, assorted vegetables from Catalan Farms, and of course I hear the beans from Rancho Gordo are worth the lines!

The Doc is being very kind. Unfortunately, I've "retired" from the market as I've actually grown too big for my britches (literally and figuratively) so I only make special guest appearances now. Joan and Sarah are much nicer (and prettier) and they will serve you well.

Did I read that right? No more Rancho Gordo at the Ferry Plaza Farmers' Market? Not even on Saturdays? I can't tell you how many directives I have received to visit your booth, and now that I am coming to SF in mid-April, I hear this? May have to rethink the entire visit... Seriously, though, might one of your special appearances happen to be on April 19?

edited to fix typo in date of visit

Edited by grayelf (log)

Cowgirl Creamery Mt. Tam cheese. Really yummy. And then Comte, because I love it.

Barbeque the dude carving the pork from a truck on the side. Yummy.

Cookies/Dessert place pass on the macarons from that sweet shop. do try the nougat. It's harder than I like at first, but it grows on you.

That nouveau japanese place has interesting things to see. depends on your taste if you'll like it though!

If I could just get through my napa photos, I'd be able to show you my shots from all these places T_T And you know, details, names, etc.

foodpr0n.com 11/01/17: A map of macarons in Toronto // For free or for a fee - bring your bottle! corkagetoronto.com

Did I read that right? No more Rancho Gordo at the Ferry Plaza Farmers' Market? Not even on Saturdays? I can't tell you how many directives I have received to visit your booth, and now that I am coming to SF in mid-April, I hear this? May have to rethink the entire visit... Seriously, though, might one of your special appearances happen to be on April 19?

The booth and the product are still there -- more than aptly manned by his trusty side-kick, Joan. But the Man Himself, Steve Sando, I believe is now taking weekends off after working 7-days a week for the past five or six years...

The booth and the product are still there -- more than aptly manned by his trusty side-kick, Joan. But the Man Himself, Steve Sando, I believe is now taking weekends off after working 7-days a week for the past five or six years...

Many thanks for the clarification. While it would have been great to meet Mr Bean (sorry, couldn't resist) himself, I'm sure Joan can help us out.

Many thanks for the clarification. While it would have been great to meet Mr Bean (sorry, couldn't resist) himself, I'm sure Joan can help us out.

Wow, I guess it was my lucky day back in September when I met Steve on a Saturday.

Wow, I guess it was my lucky day back in September when I met Steve on a Saturday.

I don't know when Sr Steve stopped working weekends (sounds like it was well deserved though) but I must say I was looking forward to meeting him after hearing so many good things about him and reading his great posts. Guess I'll have to head to Napa again one of these days...

I don't know when Sr Steve stopped working weekends (sounds like it was well deserved though) but I must say I was looking forward to meeting him after hearing so many good things about him and reading his great posts. Guess I'll have to head to Napa again one of these days...

The first of the year...

Thanks all!

I'm still working a lot but I really got burnt out on doing so many markets. I now mostly work just 5 days a week. It's such an odd concept. But I do go in about once a month.

Unfortunately mid April I'm doing that IACP conference in New Orleans so I think that won't be in the city on April 19th. But Joan, Sarah or Dan will take very good care of you! Remind right before you come so we can make a fuss.

You know, several years ago when I was still new and fresh and not so grey haired, we had a huge bay area eGullet get together at Carolyn Tillie's house in Napa. I'm in touch with most everybody still! I couldn't get into the SF market then and was doing lots of smaller markets. And how many dozens of eGulleters I've met now thanks to the markets. I get a little sentimental thinking about it! But no so much that I'll give up sleeping in on Saturdays!

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

Thanks all!

I'm still working a lot but I really got burnt out on doing so many markets. I now mostly work just 5 days a week. It's such an odd concept. But I do go in about once a month.

Unfortunately mid April I'm doing that IACP conference in New Orleans so I think that won't be in the city on April 19th. But Joan, Sarah or Dan will take very good care of you!  Remind right before you come so we can make a fuss.

You know, several years ago when I was still new and fresh and not so grey haired, we had a huge bay area eGullet get together at Carolyn Tillie's house in Napa. I'm in touch with most everybody still! I couldn't get into the SF market then and was doing lots of smaller markets. And how many dozens of eGulleters I've met now thanks to the markets. I get a little sentimental thinking about it! But no so much that I'll give up sleeping in on Saturdays!

I've never met another person who posts on or reads eGullet -- I guess I'll have to settle for the virtual Rancho Gordo but since I just discovered you have a great blog that should be enough :laugh: Will definitely look up the RG staffers in April though. Enjoy your Saturday sleep ins!

Edited by grayelf (log)

• 1 month later...

After reading all the enthusiastic posts on this and related threads, we chose to spend our layover time on our way to Los Cabos (see here for details of that trip ) in San Francisco here at the Ferry Plaza Market. We had a few hours leading up to our dinner reservation at A16, and here is a little of what we did...

A sampling of fresh oysters at the oyster bar - delicious

gallery_41870_2503_129483.jpg

gallery_41870_2503_33593.jpg

Thick and creamy Greek yogurt with nuts and honey

gallery_41870_2503_88684.jpg

Buying cheeses, fresh potato chips and bread for our week in Los Cabos

gallery_41870_2503_153211.jpg

gallery_41870_2503_70056.jpg

gallery_41870_2503_109552.jpg

gallery_41870_2503_163576.jpg

Needless to say we really enjoyed some fine sandwiches while spending our days on the beaches in Los Cabos!

And of course, no visit to the Market is complete without chasing down the pigeons!

gallery_41870_2503_95749.jpg