• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TDG Boot Camp: Franco's Grappa

Craig Camp

Tell us more about visiting a distillery, can you just show up and say "ciao, let's sample?"  I am afraid I've always been a bit timid to visit wineries and distilleries...

Well Kahrs...so to say I've not a clue, actually! :unsure:

Anyways, I think that most distilleries allow booked visitors, don't know about regular tours or things like that. It depends also on the period, good producers distill exclusively fresh pomace i.e. they run the stills only in autumn.

Cheers,

Alberto

Coincidentally, I was drinking Caprai grappa in Montefalco when you published this, Craig. Great article, and I'm not just saying it because I love grappa so much.

The night before we left we had a homemade wild fennel infused grappa in Grottaferrata that was very good. (the infusion was done at home, not sure about the grappa itself).