• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crabs with Salted Egg Yolk

I tried this in a seafood restaurant (in Malaysia, where i'm staying) the other day and it was divine, the combination of salted egg yolk and crab roe is really something. Anyway, does anyone have a recipe for this dish? I tried googling for it but couldn't find one. I did find out it's a Shanghainese dish though.

I don't have an answer for you but wondered if you could tell us more about the dish. I'm finding it hard to picture. How was the crab cooked? Was the yolk just grated over the top or what?

The crab is cut up and stir-fried with visible bits of salted egg yolk stuck on the crab and in the sauce. The sauce is relatively thick and looks very yolk-ish.

Hope that gives you a rough picture. :)

I know how to make salted eggs, perhaps that's a start? Basically, you saturate some water with salt (heat it up so that you can really dissolve a lot of salt). Let the water cool. Then pack some raw chicken or duck eggs into a glass jar (i.e. an empty pickle jar) and pour in the salted water to cover. Put something heavy on the eggs to keep them submerged. Put the lid on and leave that in a dark cupboard for about a month. Then take out as needed. I like to eat them hard-boiled (cook them about twice as long as a regular egg) with rice. Oh, and you only eat the yolk, not the white--the white is wayyyy too salty.

morda

So the salt acts to preserve the eggs? allowing them to sit raw in a jar for so long without spoiling?

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

So the salt acts to preserve the eggs?  allowing them to sit raw in a jar for so long without spoiling?

Yah, I guess so. Put it this way, I've never gotten sick from eating one! :raz:

You can actually just buy salty eggs from an Asian grocer as well. I think those are normally duck eggs.

I eat the white, it's good with rice. A boiled salted egg drizzled with a little sesame oil and served with white rice can be very good if you want something simple. 

Wow. I can never eat more than the tiniest bit of the white. You must be a saltier person than I!

Thanks for your replies people. I live in Asia so salted eggs are easily available, though I suppose it might be fun to make my own for the heck of it. :D

And just to add my two cents, and I do eat the whites, just not by itself, usually with rice or porridge. :)

Will try the recipes soon, thanks for the links Shiewie!