• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

nadan fish curry

too lazy to go upstairs (from my basement cave) and look for the cookbook. but this is roughly it:

1 lb catfish fillet--cut into 3-4 inch pieces

six small lethal green chillies--split lengthwise

5-6 dry red chillies--torn up

5 cloves of garlic--chopped

1 medium onion chopped (recipe calls for 8 shallots chopped but if you think i'm going to chop 8 shallots you is a fool)

inch piece ginger--chopped (is there an indian recipe out there that ever calls for more or less than "an inch piece" of ginger?)

1 tspn mustard seeds

1 tspn fenugreek seeds

2 stalks curry leaves (afoodnut, the store in boulder gives these out free with purchase)

3 petals cambodge soaked in a cup of water (i use black kokum--also available in the boulder indian grocery)

1 tspn turmeric

salt

um. i think that's it for the ingredients--i'll confirm later.

prep:

heat oil--toss in mustard seeds. as soon as they start popping toss in everything except fish, turmeric, cambodge/kokum and salt. once the onions (or shallots for the absolutely correct) begin to brown toss in everything remaining but the fish (cambodge/kokum goes in with soaking water). mix and add fish. stir gently, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer till fish is cooked (about 5-10 minutes). eat with steamed rice.

quick, easy and delicious. and a very good advert for the book. those who like it more or less spicy can adjust the green and red chillies to taste.

Edited by mongo_jones (log)

Thanks for the recipe. It sounds just right for a quick and easy dish (and when the windows must be kept closed because it's snowing!)

To explain this comment, a quote from the Odors of Indian Food thread:

i made a nadan fish curry out of my kerala cookbook yesterday and the combined aroma of just popped mustard seeds and lightly fried fresh curry leaves was so excellent i went around shutting windows instead of opening them.

You sure it wasn't to keep the snow from blowing in the windows?

Could you please elaborate on the nadan fish curry?

This is awesome Mango.  Thanks.  I love to work with Indian Spices and this is the perfect recipe for me to play with.

you're welcome band girl

:laugh::laugh:

I know you can't stand the smilies Mongo, but it's your own fault that I use them here. Poor you! Just when you wanted to forget all about mangoes....

Suman

This is awesome Mango.  Thanks.  I love to work with Indian Spices and this is the perfect recipe for me to play with.

you're welcome band girl

:laugh::laugh:

I know you can't stand the smilies Mongo, but it's your own fault that I use them here. Poor you! Just when you wanted to forget all about mangoes....

Suman

Okie it took me a minute to get this one but when I did I laughed loud and lon. (Sorry Mongo but it is these little typos that make life interesting - say what?)

Rushina

at the risk of sounding like a straight man:

it is i who have broken with the kosher laws here. the recipe doesn't call for catfish--it is what i have substituted for the more appropriate malayali riverine fish which may well have scales and not dwell at the bottom of the river. any malayalis know what would probably be the most appropriate local fish in the original recipe?

what do kosher laws say about meat and coconut milk, by the way?

at the risk of sounding like a straight man:

what do kosher laws say about meat and coconut milk, by the way?

Surely you don't mean to suggest you're not a straight man? I've met your wife.

Back to the question. Meat and coconut milk would be just fine; coconuts are plant products, not dairy products. The prohibition is on combining meat with dairy.

Even better, fish is considered "pareve," neither meat nor dairy, so if you're cooking fish, there is no restriction on using dairy; you can use ghee, yogurt etc.

Edit to add: Plant products are allowed to be combined and eaten with everything: meat, fish, dairy, other plant products.

Edited by afoodnut (log)

• 3 months later...

Mango,

Thanks for posting this recipe and the others in your blog. That blog really had me jonesing (janesing?) to learn more. Tonight I made modified versions of several of the dishes, based on what was in the house. A good time was had by all, especially my wife, so I am a happy man. My youngest picked at hers as usual, but no more than she picks at almost everything. I meant to take pictures but of course I forgot.

I made this fish curry minus the last 2 ingredients, augmenting with coconut milk and cashews; summer squash with amchoor and ginger (kaddu?); and alu palak, using the spinach puree I keep around for adding some nutrition to the kids' cheese tortillas. So thanks again,

make k

glad to hear it. i'd recommend trying the nadan curry as per original recipe as well--the indian grocery on 28th/valmont carries black kokum (just ask for help), and frankly i'm shocked that a cosmopolitan cook such as you doesn't have turmeric on hand.

Edited by mongo_jones (log)