• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Texas Dr. Pepper plant still using Cane Sugar

jhlurie

Bill Kloster was a stubborn man--particularly about Dr. Pepper. Bill started, at 14 years of age, as a bottle sorter paid 10 cents an hour at the Dr. Pepper plant in Dublin, Texas (the oldest surviving Dr. Pepper bottler in the world), and eventually worked his way up to general manager of the plant. When the last member of the owning family died, Bill inherited the plant and bucked the trend to change the output of his plant from Imperial Pure Cane Sugar to corn sweeteners.

Bill died on Sept. 27, 1999--after a 67 year career at the plant.

But apparently Bill's principles have survived him, because the Dublin Dr. Pepper plant still boasts that it's product is made with Cane Sugar--the same formula for the 112th year in a row.

The full story here...

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

It's the only DP I ever drink :))

It is great to be a Texan!

Texas Tequila Sunrise:

1 Bottle 100% Agave Tequila

1 shot glass, rim salted

1 lime, quartered

1 sunrise

*Pour tequila in salted shot glass. Drop in

1/4 lime. Contemplate the sunrise.

Drink until done. Repeat.

good for them. i actually decided over the weekend that i'm no longer drinking american soda or soft drinks, because of the use of high fructose corn syrup.

• 7 months later...
Has anyone here actually ordered their syrup?

We've got a bottle of it that a fellow Dr P fiend got for us during a road trip. My boyfriend tried to drink it, thinking it was actual Dublin Dr Pepper, which is a funny story in and of itself, but needless to say we certainly don't like it plain (the label suggests pouring it over ice cream!), but we're looking forward to trying to make our own mix with soda water. We just haven't gotten around to it yet.

He was a bold man that first eat an oyster. --Jonathan Swift