• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Foraging Texas

fifi

I have the grandaddy of all dewberry patches located.  :biggrin:

lucky you, fifi! :cool: we used to grow a bunch on the old place. dewberries and mulberries made my berry season! would love to encourage some here...

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

• 5 months later...

Bumping this back up because we hit the jackpot last weekend. I also need to correct some inaccuracies in my Foraging the Texas Gulf Coast foodblog from back in May. It seems that some of what we have been lumping into the term Samphire, really isn't.

Just to recalibrate, this is where we are, on the bay side of Galveston Island at San Luis Pass in the salt flats.

gallery_7796_1058_157257.jpg

Back in the blog, what I was calling Samphire is really Saltwort, Vidrillos, or Turtleweed, scientific name Batis maritima. Here it is growing:

gallery_7796_1058_327947.jpg

And a close-up:

gallery_7796_1058_195067.jpg

What wasn't obvious back in May was the "real" Samphire, Glasswort or scientific name Salicornia biglovei or maybe virginicus. And, in this season it turns a lovely red.

gallery_7796_1058_192000.jpg

And a close-up:

gallery_7796_1058_210035.jpg

We snacked on both of these the whole trip. Then, while we were preparing dinner, some of it on cocktail crackers with Marscapone cheese was a delight. This was a nice prelude to a simple saute of shrimp and fennel on rice. We put quite a lot of our find in a favorite salad of mixed greens, red onion and mandarin orange sections. The mix of red, yellow and light green was beautiful and I am kicking myself for not getting a picture but we were pretty hungry by then.

gallery_7796_1058_86398.jpg

We also found some Sea Purslane, Sesuvium sessile, on the beach side in the dunes. Like a dummy, I forgot to get a picture of it growing. It is so pretty with its little magenta flowers and red stems. A favorite way to use this is to lightly saute some of the leaves in butter and put in an omelet. The leaves are similar in taste to the above, salty with a pleasant tartness, and maybe a bit tarter in a clean sort of way.

Here is a close-up of the Purslane:

gallery_7796_1058_169668.jpg

Sadly, we were too late for Coquinas. Probably, the last cool front, or maybe Rita caused them to skeedaddle back offshore. Oh well, there is always next year.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose