• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

HELP

seawakim

I don't drink wine, so I don't know anything about wine! I'm having a dinner party tomorrow night and just found out that one of the people coming is very well versed in wine. :shock:

I need to run out and purchase some wine now (preferably reasonably priced or Trader Joe's, etc.)

I will be serving a Spinach Salad, French Mussel Soup (white wine & cream based), a Filet Mignon with a creamy peppercorn sauce.

What kind of wine(s) should I serve?

Please help! Thank you very much for any input.

"If we don't find anything pleasant at least we shall find something new." Voltaire

In case none of the other better-informed folks shows up, here's some input that should get you past the wine snob.

BTW, unless s/he really is a snob, expressing your modesty and then asking their opinion 1) puts them in a position of having to say something nice and 2) will be a good learning opportunity.

These are all under $20, mostly under $10

Spinach Salad: Vouvray (French), good Chenin Blanc (California)

Mussel Soup: White Bordeaux (French) Sauvignon Blank (US, New Zealand)

Beef: Shiraz or Shiraz Cabernet (Aussie)

Have fun, mix countries, don't fret.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

+2 points for 2 Buck Chuck

Alternatively, you can give them a dodge and serve beer :grin:

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

In case none of the other better-informed folks shows up, here's some input that should get you past the wine snob.

BTW, unless s/he really is a snob, expressing your modesty and then asking their opinion 1) puts them in a position of having to say something nice and 2) will be a good learning opportunity.

These are all under $20, mostly under $10

Spinach Salad: Vouvray (French), good Chenin Blanc (California)

Mussel Soup: White Bordeaux (French) Sauvignon Blank (US, New Zealand)

Beef: Shiraz or Shiraz Cabernet (Aussie)

Have fun, mix countries, don't fret.

Those are awesome recommendations. I'm going to follow your advice -- heading off to Trader Joe's :biggrin:

"If we don't find anything pleasant at least we shall find something new." Voltaire

+2 points for 2 Buck Chuck

Alternatively, you can give them a dodge and serve beer :grin:

To really impress the wine snob, get a bottle of Charles Shaw Cabernet and a bottle of Charles Shaw Merlot and mix them. This renders them palatable, as we learned in this very forum several weeks ago. :biggrin:

Mark

Busboy's recommendations are right on, but don't forget the wonderful wines made in your area, and don't be shy about serving them! Esquin Wine Shop in Seattle will have a nice selection and be able to guide you in your choice.

McCrae Cellars, which I believe is near Rainier somewhere, is a small artisanal winery that makes great Rhones, especially Syrah and Viognier. If you can find a bottle of his wines (the 1999 Syrah was called "Amerique") it might be a pleasant discovery for your wine guest--a new secret find he can share with his friends. And I think the blueberry flavors of a nice Washington syrah would be great with your filet mignon. :cool:

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you very much for your recommendations! The dinner party went perfectly. By request, here is the menu that we served...

Wasabi Lime Crab Salad as an Amuse bouche

Baby Spinach Salad with Roquefort, Cranberries, Walnut vinaigrette

Paired to sparkling pear cider

Shrimp Bisque with Tarragon and Brandy

Paired to Sauvignon Blanc, Quivira 2001

Lemon Sorbet with lemon zest

Filet Mingon with cognac, cream and green peppercorn sauce

Paired with Shiraz, Lindemans 2002

Gianduja Mousse Tarts in a Chocolate Hazelnut Crust, served with crème anglaise and raspberry coulis

(We have a picture of this dessert, but don't know how to post it.)

As I mentioned before, I don't drink wine. I liked the white with the bisque. It had a nice palate-cleansing effect.

Thanks again!