• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Californian coming to Pittsburgh in June

Muffin210

Just got word that I need to go to Pittsburgh (for business) June 2-5 -- first trip there. I saw a couple of threads relating to Pittsburgh posted here, but since I don't have a child in tow (and don't need to limit myself to "traditional" cuisine), I wanted to see if there are any other recommendations out there.

I'll be staying at the University Club hotel at the University of Pittsburgh...no car. I have absolutely no idea what part of town that is or what is nearby! Looks like I'll be attending lectures all day but nights are free, so I'm specifically interested in dinner places.

I pretty much eat everything, but from what I've seen on the previous posts, I suspect I can get better Asian food at home in Los Angeles than out there...

Don't know how many eGullet members actually live in Pittsburgh but if anyone's interested in planning a group dinner, let me know!

You should see the other thread about just general eating in the 'burgh:

Pgh eats

You will be in the heart of Oakland, student ghetto; however, you will be close

to the Original and also Primantis.

If you're serious, you need a Strip tour. (getting "stripped" I call it just for funsies). It's foodie central.

Dunno who else is stranded here but me.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I'm flying into Pittsburgh next Tuesday night...anyone up for an eGullet dinner somewhere, maybe on Wednesday (6/2) night? Or any final suggestions for dinner places? (I'm getting hotel conference food for all my breakfasts and lunches...oh joy!)

grumbl3, jshufelt, are you still in Pittsburgh?

(kahrs, thanks for all your recommendations!)

Don't go to Pittsburgh all that often but I do have a couple of recs.

First of all, taxis are cheap - bus and subway cheaper.

Places that should be considered:

Bloomfield Bridge Tavern - Polish

Church Brew Works - good wood fired pizzas, esp. the Pierogi pizza - other American food - it's in an old cathedral - absolutley beautiful. Decent beers.

There's decent German food over on the North Side - Max's Allegheny Tavern - Penn Brewery (if you like beer, I enjoy the Penn Weizen - it can be enjoyed in the courtyard of this 19th century brewey)

Downtown you'll find above average Cambodian at Phnom Penh. Also downtown is Kenny B's Eatery - an interesting Cuban diner.

In Bloomfield you have Tessaro's for great burgers. Lots of Abruzzese Italian joints around the city but I don't have a fave - that said - Bloomfield is kind of Pittsburgh's Little Italy.

In Oakland, in addition to Primanti's and the O, you've got Spice Island Tea House (a sort of "eclectic" Asian restaurant), Uncle Sam's Subs, Fuel and Fuddle (good selection of beers and tasty bar food), LuLu's Noodles, and a couple Indian restuaurants.

You'll be a short cab ride from Shadyside. Lots of great restaurants there. I love Girasole (www.733copeland.com). You can also find Thai, Japanese, French, Chinese, and even Peruvian on and around Walnut Street. Oh, and how could I forget...Cafe Zinho. Best lunch spot in town (though by the sound of it you won't be able to get out for lunch).

• 2 weeks later...

Well, back from Pittsburgh...the visitor information distributed at my conference included facts about Pittsburgh cuisine, so I learned that Pittsburgh is the home of the Clark Bar, Heinz ketchup, and Klondike ice cream bars! Thanks to fellow eGulleteers, I was expecting the Primanti Brothers sandwiches with the fries inside, but I didn't realize how many restaurants sold salads with fries on top. I guess not every city is swept up in the Atkins craze.

I quickly found out that taxi service in Oakland is not the easiest way to get around, so I basically stuck close to the conference site and walked to places with my fellow attendees...

Had some shellfish and a decent piece of Copper River Salmon at Poli's Restaurant (our hotel told us it would be a 20 minute walk but it turned out to be an hour in the rain!)...some nice mix-in ice cream at Dave & Andy's Homemade Ice Cream...and was impressed by the minimal markups on wine at Union Grill. On our last night we managed to get a little farther away from Oakland, and ended up watching Smarty Jones' heartbreaking Belmont loss while at Bruschetta's (more salmon).

(Confession: the day I got back to Los Angeles, I just had to get my sushi fix, so we went right away to Matsuhisa...yummy... I heard nice things about Umi over in Shadyside, though.)

If I visit the 'Burgh again, I'll definitely try to get a car so I can check out some of the other suggestions. Thanks for all the input!

• 3 weeks later...
I was expecting the Primanti Brothers sandwiches with the fries inside, but I didn't realize how many restaurants sold salads with fries on top.  I guess not every city is swept up in the Atkins craze.

yeah, i didn't know they put fries on salads either until me, fiancee and another friend were looking for a place to eat near PNC Park on a sunday morning, and the only place was a bar. i, for some unknown reason cause i never order this, decided to order the buffalo chicken salad. . .lo and behold, under the melted cheese and the chunks of chicken was a stack of fries. good thing i don't like salad dressing. . .

been to pittsburgh a few times, mainly for pirates games. . .didn't much care for the primanti bros. sandwiches at pnc, but the pierogies were good. . .

i, for some unknown reason cause i never order this, decided to order the buffalo chicken salad. . .lo and behold, under the melted cheese and the chunks of chicken was a stack of fries. good thing i don't like salad dressing. . .

I'm totally missing something here. buffalo chicken, melted cheese and fries--in what way is this a salad?

i, for some unknown reason cause i never order this, decided to order the buffalo chicken salad. . .lo and behold, under the melted cheese and the chunks of chicken was a stack of fries.  good thing i don't like salad dressing. . .

I'm totally missing something here. buffalo chicken, melted cheese and fries--in what way is this a salad?

well. . .it was all piled on top of lettuce. :biggrin:

i, for some unknown reason cause i never order this, decided to order the buffalo chicken salad. . .lo and behold, under the melted cheese and the chunks of chicken was a stack of fries.  good thing i don't like salad dressing. . .

In an awesome way, clearly.

In an awesome way, clearly.

Ha! Nice.