• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Birmingham High-Quality Grocery Shopping

I've been trying to track down good sources of Meat, Fish and Produce in Birmingham, as well as ethnic places (Kosher, Asian markets, etc).

- Mount Laurel - down 280, before chelsea - Organic produce, but pricey.

- Andy's Creekside Market - in Vestavia on Rocky Ridge Road - A local farmers market.

- The Fishmarket Restaurant - the UAB/Southside location is a real fish market in addition to being a restaurant. They seem to have good fish here, probably because of their high turnover.

... And that's it.

Does anyone in the area know any local stores, or does everyone shop at Publix and Bruno's now? Anyone have any idea where they higher end restaurants (like Frank Stitt's Highlands, Bottega) get there ingredients?

Welcome to Birmingham.

If you are looking for upscale or gourmet markets, try Vincent's on Clairmont. (University turns into Clairmont as it goes under 280 and past St Vincent's hospital going away from campus. Just continue on that street - bearing left at the fork near Piggly Wiggly - and it's 3 or 4 lights down)

Bruno's is not bad, as big chain places go. The managers will order things for you, but you may have to buy the whole case if it's something they aren't sure they will be able to sell.

And you are right about Fish Market. It's the turnover. That and the owner also Empire Seafood in Bayou La Batre (I think). I was raised on the coast in Louisiana, this is inland and the Frozen Nawth as far as I'm concerned. This is the only place I will buy seafood in Birmingham. Not even the Hoover store.

There is a little oriental grocery just down 7th Ave from Fish Market. Past La Cocina and Burly Earl's (don't bother with either), It's on the right past Anthony's.

In that same neighborhood, Anthony's is my wife's favorite restaurant. Italian. Not inexpensive, but fairly priced. Good food done with regularity, but I can't vouch for it's authenticity.

The Greek Food festival (at the big Greek Othodox church on 19th St S) is coming up soon. Highly recommended. You may want to try there, then ask them where they go for ingredients when they want to cook something traditional.

As far as higher end ingredients, I wouldn't be surprised if they have someone bringing it in from the coast or Atlanta. I'm willing to bet that most of the seafood served in this town passes through Fish Market, and was swimming in the Gulf hours before it gets served.

Edited by FistFullaRoux (log)
Screw it. It's a Butterball.

Hi and welcome to the neighborhood!! :biggrin:

V. Richard's is actually on Clairmont, past St. Vincent's Hospital. Not Vincent's.

V. Richard's is locally owned and has some neat stuff. Vincent's is on Lakeshore, right by Brookwood Hospital and there is also one at the Summit Shopping center(junction of Hwy 280 and I459). Vincent's actually used to be owned by one of the Bruno's brothers and was only at the Lakeshore location, originally. Bruno's was bought out a few years ago and isn't as good, but you can find some interesting things there. The wine dept is still ok. Western, Vintage Wine Shoppe and Amphoria are all reputable.

As far as seafood: Try Snapper Grabber's in Vestavia and M and M in Helena as well as FishMarket. Fishmarket is owned by the Sarris' family and are the local Greek contingent in Bham. Own several other restaurants here too. If I am not mistaken, the Bright Star and Nikki's (and talk about some good southern cooking... with a Med. flair. mmmmm). VJ's on the Runway at the airport is another great meat and three southern restaurant. As for Fishmarket......Love their Greek salad (especially the dressing) and they load on the feta if you ask really nice :raz: .

You need to try Ocean for good upscale seafood. It is relatively new but I haven't heard a unkind thing about it yet. It is In the heart of Five Points South. And The Florida Grill in Homewood.

Bottega is a stallworth. Will always be good. Other bets for dining are Daniel George, Highlands(southern eclectic), Los Angeles (South American/Latin American), Sol Y Luna (mexican Tapas) and Nonna Rose(Italian). The prices vary at these restaurants(Highlands is expensive, but worth it).

Off the beaten path, Chez Lu Lu (for great pastry, light fare such as sandwiches and soups) in English Village( i hope it is still there, it has been awhile since I ate there) and Crazy Cajuns on Hwy 280. You must get the crawfish. Speaking of festivals...the Annual Crawfish Boil is next w/e (7th and 8th). Thousands of pounds of mudbugs brought in from LA and live music(great local and regional acts such as Cowboy Mouth, Sister Hazel) and just plain, good fun in the railroad district downtown. The proceeds go to Charity. It gets bigger every year. Will be there Fri. nite for the festivities and sucking some head and eating some tails. Any more questions?? There are many more restaurants that are hidden gems in this town. I am a native..glad to be of assistance!

Just thought of something. Another good Asian Market is on Green Springs Ave. as you are going towards Homewood on the right, before you get to Valley Avenue. Sell Korean food, I believe and other Asian items.

Ok. I am such an idiot. :blink:

If you are looking for fresh produce, the best places to go to the Farmer's Market on Finley Ave. off I65 N(towards NashvilleAlso the Pepper Place downtown. 2nd Ave and 28th St. I can't believe I forgot about these. Both take place on the w/e.

Hi and welcome to the neighborhood!! :biggrin:

V. Richard's is actually on Clairmont, past St. Vincent's Hospital. Not Vincent's.

V. Richard's is locally owned and has some neat stuff. Vincent's is on Lakeshore, right by Brookwood Hospital and there is also one at the Summit Shopping center(junction of Hwy 280 and I459). Vincent's actually used to be owned by one of the Bruno's brothers and was only at the Lakeshore location, originally. Bruno's was bought out a few years ago and isn't as good, but you can find some interesting things there. The wine dept is still ok. Western, Vintage Wine Shoppe and Amphoria are all reputable.

As far as seafood: Try Snapper Grabber's in Vestavia and M and M in Helena as well as FishMarket. Fishmarket is owned by the Sarris' family and are the local Greek contingent in Bham. Own several other restaurants here too. If I am not mistaken, the Bright Star and Nikki's (and talk about some good southern cooking... with a Med. flair. mmmmm). VJ's on the Runway at the airport is another great meat and three southern restaurant. As for Fishmarket......Love their Greek salad (especially the dressing) and they load on the feta if you ask really nice :raz: .

You need to try Ocean for good upscale seafood. It is relatively new but I haven't heard a unkind thing about it yet. It is In the heart of Five Points South. And The Florida Grill in Homewood.

Bottega is a stallworth. Will always be good. Other bets for dining are Daniel George, Highlands(southern eclectic), Los Angeles (South American/Latin American), Sol Y Luna (mexican Tapas) and Nonna Rose(Italian). The prices vary at these restaurants(Highlands is expensive, but worth it).

Off the beaten path, Chez Lu Lu (for great pastry, light fare such as sandwiches and soups) in English Village( i hope it is still there, it has been awhile since I ate there) and Crazy Cajuns on Hwy 280. You must get the crawfish. Speaking of festivals...the Annual Crawfish Boil is next w/e (7th and 8th). Thousands of pounds of mudbugs brought in from LA and live music(great local and regional acts such as Cowboy Mouth, Sister Hazel) and just plain, good fun in the railroad district downtown. The proceeds go to Charity. It gets bigger every year. Will be there Fri. nite for the festivities and sucking some head and eating some tails. Any more questions?? There are many more restaurants that are hidden gems in this town. I am a native..glad to be of assistance!

Doh! You're right. I got confuzzled. Not enough caffiene yesterday.

Nice to see a couple more Birminghamsters on the boards.

Denada and no problemo. Happens to me too, the caffiene, that is. One huge diet Mt. Dew or two cups of java usually fixes me. Red Diamond, of course. :biggrin:

PS. Klingler's European Bakery in Vestavia on Hwy 31 has good German food and to die for pastries too.

Both of you, if you haven't been to the Smokin' Grill (formerly Paul and Burt's) in Springville, you need to get there quick. Great BBQ, better than Dreamland. No atmosphere, but awesome Que. Gawd, I can't stop!!! I love bragging on my home town. There is alot here that people just don't realize. My friend in DFW is always amazed when she comes back home!

• 2 weeks later...

I just discovered the market at Nabeel's on Oxmoor in Homewood. (The restaurant next door is excellent as well. Greek, Italian, and a little Middle Eastern - super)

What I found: fig jam, dirt cheap peppercorns (but they are excellent), Russian chocolates (for giggles), real prosciutto, real parmesano reggiano, soft cow's milk mozzerella (but was told they can get buffalo occasionally), a small variety of very good quality cold cuts, more spices that you would know what to do with, double concentrated sun dried tomato paste (in the tube), excellent spumoni by the quart, and something on at least every shelf to make you say "ooooohh...".

Some of the least expensive spices I have seen, and they all looked to be of average or higher quality, and they have some harder-to-find ones as well, like cardamom, fenegreek, saffron, and whole nutmegs (5 for $1.50!).

Edited because I have spelling issues. :hmmm:

Edited by FistFullaRoux (log)

Nabeel's has great Italian/Mediterranean food and ingredients. They say it is the closest you can get without having to drive to Nawlins'. :) Love that olive salad from the Central Grocery!!

Glad you found Nabeel's!

• 1 month later...

Sexton's in the Cahaba Heights area has fantastic fresh seafood for sale. Just going in that place makes me feel like I'm down at the Gulf.

For good beef, try Mr. P's deli/butcher shop in the Bluff Park area.

Now that it's summer, Pepper Place on Saturday mornings is the best place for fresh produce. Murphree's in Cahaba Heights isn't bad. Or you could sign up for Grow Alabama, a community-supported agriculture (CSA) farm co-op (more info at www.growalabama.com).

There's a great little Asian market in Vestavia, in the same little strip mall on 31 where Pier One imports is.

V. Richard's is THE place to go for gourmet groceries, good cheese, etc.

A couple of websites about local restaurants: www.bhamdining.com, and www.birminghammenus.com.