• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Homemade Sausage in Brooklyn

schaem

Lost among the mediocrity of the Cobble & Boerum Hills / Carroll Gardens "food revolution" is a true standout that seems to be in a little trouble.

Esposito's Pork Store on Court and Union has been in the neighborhood for years making Sopressata and fresh Italian sausages, as well as outstanding rice balls, mozzarella, sandwiches, etc. Recently a place called Latticini Barese in Red Hook closed after 75 years in business. It would be a shame to lose another neighborhood gem; especially when interest in eating in the area seems to be at a high.

I therefore encourage those who live in the neighborhood to pop in and check it out. Buy some sausages for your next "Sopranos" party (they close early on Sundays), buy a couple of rice balls to snack on, or maybe some dried sausage and mozz for an antipasti plate. Service is a little "old Brooklyn" but that should be seen as a positive.

Whenever I'm back in Brooklyn I always make a pilgrimage to Esposito's. Their sausage is as good as Italian sausage gets as is the soppresata. My favorite sausage of theirs is the chevrilade with cheese and parsley. That on the grill is true comfort food. Their mozzarella isn't too shabby either. Other great neighborhood stores include Court Pastry, home of the best cannoli amongst other pastries and Caputo's for Italian bread and cookies. Unfortunately, I don't get back to Brooklyn too much any more.

It would be a real tragedy if any of those stores go out of business. Latticini Barese was never a store that I frequented so I can't really comment other than to say it is sad to see any business like that go under. I suspect that it is due to the evolution of the neighborhood as the older Italians die or move out to be replaced by people who don't really understand the treasures they have in their midst.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Is this place any relation to Giovanni Esposito, on Ninth Avenue in "the city"? If so, surely their sausage is beyond reproach.

A couple of years ago we decided to check out trendy Smith Street. Where did we end up eating? A Latino place with a steam table and the best pernil I ever ate -- even better than mine. :wink: Next door was a butcher shop with both Italian (their original heritage) and Latino stuff (for the current neighborhood residents). I bought both ethnicities of sausage, and both were excellent. Anyone know the name of the place, and the exact address? I would love to go back.

...and while you're reading, why not nosh on some of Esposito's excellent Sopressata, rice balls, etc.

Surely a goal.

And please, It's not my pleasure to see ANY sausage maker drop off the face of the earth.

It is what it is, and places as that which you describe, are a treasure.

I am only trying to help you prepare for the inevatible, and learn a craft for which you would like to see persevere.

My next time in the city, I will certainly support your places of interest..

woodburner

Suzanne,

The butcher shop was Los Paisanos. They are great (much better than the more famous Staubitz). They indeed have a lot of Italian items, plus the "alternative" cuts one treasures in a Latino shop (feet, tripe, tails, blood sausage). They also dry-age their rib steaks, which has become my usual Sunday dinner.

The Latino place could have been Cibao (usually excellent) or Cafe Latino (also good), though neither are exactly next door.

This thread is making me misty, not to mention hungry.

Back in the day when we lived in Greenpoint and wanted a break from kielbasa, we'd go to the Lorimer St. Meat Market. Excellent everything, including sausage, and right across from the B48 bus stop to go home.

I know that people say that Greenpoint is "barely Brooklyn" or, even worse, "Queens lite" :hmmm: but there's some incredibly good food to be found in the old-school areas north of Williamsburg.

:smile:

Jamie

See! Antony, that revels long o' nights,

Is notwithstanding up.

Julius Caesar, Act II, Scene ii

biowebsite

Just want to add my endorsement (which is worth millions!) to Esposito's. Last week I got some caul fat there (they carry caul fat!) and I also got a hot sopressata, which I'm sad to report was devoured in a single sitting by yours truly. It was great.

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

The Latino place could have been Cibao (usually excellent) or Cafe Latino (also good), though neither are exactly next door.

Cibao is still open

but Latin Grill is now Blue Star, a good fish restaurant with a raw bar.

-mjr

�As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy, and to make plans.� - Ernest Hemingway, in �A Moveable Feast�

Brooklyn, NY, USA

mjr,

Just to clarify: Latin Grill was a mediocre "Pan-Latin" place on Court, Cafe Latino is a good Dominican place on Smith.

Off topic, sorry.

oops my bad

�As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy, and to make plans.� - Ernest Hemingway, in �A Moveable Feast�

Brooklyn, NY, USA