• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

andiesenji

andiesenji

8 hours ago, BooBear said:

What to do when you don't have the right type of yeast? Does having the right type of yeast matter in baking? Can you substitute a certain type for another type?

How about some specifics about what you have and what your recipe calls for?

I use fresh yeast for some recipes but it isn't critical.  I often substitute active dry yeast but I "bloom" it first in warm water or milk with a tiny bit of sugar.

I have instant yeast, I have rapid-rise yeast that is lightly different and I have special salt-rising yeast that requires several hours of prepping before adding to other ingredients. 

andiesenji

andiesenji

8 hours ago, BooBear said:

What to do when you don't have the right type of yeast? Does having the right type of yeast matter in baking? Can you substitute a certain type for another type?

How about some specifics about what you have and what your recipe calls for?