• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

(SEA) Tom's new restaurant

4 of us went to Lola last night for the first time. The first thing we noticed was how nice the space actually is. From pictures I thought it looked very cafeteria, but it's not at all. It was busy for a sunday with all but 2 tables filled. Definately loud but we had no problem hearing each other and it just seemed fun and lively.

We all started with cocktails and the 6 spreads. Ordered extra pita from the start but had to order one more addition too. We thought the spreads were great. The flavors were very pronounced so that you didn't need much on the pita. Personal favorites were the Barrel aged minty feta, Thick yogurt tzatziki and Garlic scented skordalia.

One had the Scallop, halibut, prawns, saffron broth which she thought was fantastic. She said all the seafood was done perfectly. She is very picky about her seafood as she is a pescatarian (sp). Another had the roasted chicken in Avgolemono which was also received with praise. She said it was one of the best roasted chickens she's had (I know she's never been to Le Pichet though! haha!)

Hubby had the Beef short ribs, they were spicy!!! He loved them. I had the Olive oil braised rabbit, lemon, artichokes. this was sensational and absolutely the best rabbit I've had. Meat literally falling off the bones. Amazing flavor and there was a lot of it!!

We had dinner with an inexpensive greek cab which was fine.

Shared the donuts and the goat cheese turnovers for dessert. Loved the turnovers, the donuts were fine but not amazing IMO. The honey they use is really good!

4 for dinner, tons of food and drinks, we spent about $50 per person. All loved it and we'll be back. The bar is a very cool space also! And the lobby of the new hotel is beautiful!

well, lola was a regular e-gullet hang out this week, as i finally tried it for dinner on saturday night. there were three in our party, although we had enough food for many more!

as previously mentioned by others, the six spread starter is great. i liked them all but the roasted red pepper was my fave. and, three cheers for the hot fresh pita! i loved the baked salt cod and the mussels were nice, too. i do think you have to be a bit of an idiot to mess up mussels – all you really need is a good dunk.

contrary to the post above, my dining companion was not so thrilled with the seafood tagine. it wasn’t awful – just sort of bland (more on this below). the lamb tagine, however, was positively sublime – succulent, amazingly tender, and served with beans the size of a man’s thumbnail. lemony green beans were great, the lamb kebab was good, and the smashed garlic fried potatoes were amazing.

we tried three desserts – the chocolate tart was rich and heavy on the cocoa, it was heavenly. i’m still not certain about the red wine infused ice cream that accompanied it – it was sort of delicious and also sort of tasted as if it had gone off. the goat milk turnovers were a hit. IMO, the much-discussed doughnuts are not nearly as good as the version across the street – lola’s are denser and, i felt, too leaden as a result. not bad, though.

our meal was really quite delicious and the service was fabulous. our server overheard one of my companions pronounce the aforementioned seafood as “not that great” and removed it from the bill, despite the fact that the complaint wasn’t formally made – like i said, it wasn’t awful. just sort of boring. i was impressed with this action, just as i was impressed the with the extremely prompt and attentive service during the 7-9pm saturday crunch.

it’s noisy in there but not really in a bad way. more like “hey, have a good time family style” loud rather than “what the hell did you say?” loud. i really like the interior, with the exception of those GOD AWFUL NEON FLAMES hanging in the lounge. what the?!?! they look like leftovers from the wing dome or something. thankfully, i sat facing the room.

an added note for the ladies: the restrooms (which are located in the hotel lobby) include a private bidet. much discussion ensued on this point.

all in all, i quite enjoyed lola and would recommend it. i was hesitant, as greek food doesn’t rank in my top ten, but was pleasantly satisfied with the menu and preparation.

lemony

i really like the interior, with the exception of those GOD AWFUL NEON FLAMES hanging in the lounge.  what the?!?!  they look like leftovers from the wing dome or something.  thankfully, i sat facing the room.

lemony

haha! lemony, I was telling my friends that for some reason I loved those flames! kitchy and wacky!! oh well....very funny!

• 2 months later...

i meant to re-post about Lola - the bump reminds me of that. i posted soon after they opened that i'd been there for a late dinner, and while i'd thought it was ok - i wasn't too impressed.

i went for lunch more recently (tho still a couple months ago) and had much better food. we shared all the spreads (which had changed from my first visit) and found all to be more flavorful than the first incarnation i had. i ordered the salmon brochette with greek salad and it was great - perfect lunch out. service was peculiar, but not awful. the one thing we noticed (sat in one of the booths in the center) was that they're pretty skinny for 2 per side. my (small-ish) colleague sharing the bench with me and i (no kate moss, no camryn manheim) felt a bit squished. i think if i'd been sharing the side with my boyfriend, it would have felt cozy - but with people from work it felt small. we kept thinking...is this a hint?

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

• 3 weeks later...

Some specials but not a special menu. Had the Washington chicken kabobs w/ saffron honey (tasty yet miniscule portions), Snake River Farms slow roasted pork w/ouzo fruits, and grilled flatiron steak both of which were good.

• 4 weeks later...
the one thing we noticed (sat in one of the booths in the center) was that they're pretty skinny for 2 per side.  my (small-ish) colleague sharing the bench with me and i (no kate moss, no camryn manheim) felt a bit squished. i think if i'd been sharing the side with my boyfriend, it would have felt cozy - but with people from work it felt small. we kept thinking...is this a hint?

looks like others may have made the same comments- this from TD's Fresh Sheet today:

"La-La-La-La Lola

One of the most common questions asked in our restaurants is "Can we have a booth?". We know they're cozy. We know they're intimate. And now the booths at Lola are spacious! We've recently had them rebuilt to accommodate any group of family or friends. Also new at Lola - Wireless Internet. It's the perfect breakfast pit stop on your way to the office. You can eat our pork belly & octopus (Tom's favorite) and get some work done, or sit and read the paper over coffee and a pastry. On your way out, be sure to grab a Lola Breakfast Card. If we see you often enough, we'll start picking up your tab! "

the one thing we noticed (sat in one of the booths in the center) was that they're pretty skinny for 2 per side.  my (small-ish) colleague sharing the bench with me and i (no kate moss, no camryn manheim) felt a bit squished. i think if i'd been sharing the side with my boyfriend, it would have felt cozy - but with people from work it felt small. we kept thinking...is this a hint?

looks like others may have made the same comments- this from TD's Fresh Sheet today:

"La-La-La-La Lola

One of the most common questions asked in our restaurants is "Can we have a booth?". We know they're cozy. We know they're intimate. And now the booths at Lola are spacious! We've recently had them rebuilt to accommodate any group of family or friends. Also new at Lola - Wireless Internet. It's the perfect breakfast pit stop on your way to the office. You can eat our pork belly & octopus (Tom's favorite) and get some work done, or sit and read the paper over coffee and a pastry. On your way out, be sure to grab a Lola Breakfast Card. If we see you often enough, we'll start picking up your tab! "

behold my awesome power.

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

• 4 months later...

We took my in laws to Lola on Sunday, hadn't been since the new booths were designed, they are very big and roomy!

We had a fantastic meal and the parents loved it!

Started with the spreads and pita. Then we shared the cod fritters and the pork cheek- both were delish!!!

Skewers of eggplant and dates also lambs tongue with grilled fennel. The lambs tongue was not as flavorful as others I had, the only semi disappointment.

We had crafts of Lola Rose with our meal, made for them by Chinook Winery

Mains of goat tagine (the best!), steak with romenesco (sp) sauce and roast chicken with morels and peas. And a side of Greek spaghetti (YUM).

Dessers of goatmilk icecream with huckleberries and the donuts drizzled with honey. Yes we waddled back to the car, full and happy.

Service was good, the noise level was down and the booths were comfy!!

• 1 year later...

I visited Lola's on my friend's recommendation and was pretty impressed. The spreads were fabulous and the pita was warm and fluffy. The thing that really got me, however, was what happened when I ordered the lamb burger:

Waitress: "how would you like that done?"

me: Oh I'm SO happy you asked me that!!"

Burger was quite good, I liked how the bun wasn't too large but boy, is this burger high! It was higher than it was wide! I also liked how the fixins were kind of decorative items around the plate allowing you to pick and choose exactly what you needed in the burger. The vinegar veggies were a welcome surprise as well. Perfect acid/sour content to offset the lamb.

mm mm. Anyplace that asks me how I want my patty done usually gains some points in my books (unless I get violently ill as a result).

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

Any place that asks me how I want my patty done gets some points, and then they get extra points taken away if they deliver it well-done anyway, which happens a lot. But I'm betting that didn't happen at Lola, given that the Palace Kitchen's burger always comes medium-rare.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

Not necessarily ... each of the restaurants is run by a different chef and each has different standards ... my experiences with TD's restaurants have varied wildy in the quality of the fare that comes out of the kitchens.

Line Cook and Food Geek, Seattle, WA

• 7 months later...

had lunch with a friend at Lola yesterday- it was very busy and loud, fine for me but for some it might not be. really good service and my schwarma was excellent. friend had pork kabobs with smashed garlic potatoes which he seemed to enjoy. they have nice crafts of house wine now- $15 for a large one, we easily got 5 glasses out of it.

maybe a bit expensive for lunch- $50 with tip for the 2 of us, 1 entree each and the craft of wine. but I do still love lola!

had lunch with a friend at Lola yesterday- it was very busy and loud, fine for me but for some it might not be. really good service and my schwarma was excellent. friend had pork kabobs with smashed garlic potatoes which he seemed to enjoy. they have nice crafts of house wine now- $15 for a large one, we easily got 5 glasses out of it.

maybe a bit expensive for lunch- $50 with tip for the 2 of us, 1 entree each and the craft of wine. but I do still love lola!

That sounds really great! I love a good Greek lunch. But I'm curious about the "craft" of wine. Is that a special size? Like a carafe, but different?

Carolyn

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

J.R.R. Tolkien

That sounds really great! I love a good Greek lunch. But I'm curious about the "craft" of wine. Is that a special size? Like a carafe, but different?

LOL!!!! :laugh::laugh: no it's like art...and crafts!!

carafe or K raft if you are so inclined... sorry about that!! :laugh:

LOL!!!! :laugh::laugh: no it's like art...and crafts!!

carafe or K raft if you are so inclined... sorry about that!! :laugh:

You're too funny! I can see the connection now, but you really had me going! :raz:

Cheers,

Carolyn

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

J.R.R. Tolkien