• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Why some restaurant customers should be shot

DCMark

THIS IS NOT ME, THIS IS A POST FROM THE POST CHAT:

"Old Town, Alexandria, Va.: Please help! We're celebrating my birthday this weekend, and I am one of the pickiest eaters in the world (I will try to convey this in terms of restaurants). We want to go either to Dupont, Penn Quarter or Georgetown. We're thinking possibly Cafe Atlantico, and we've done Jaleo, but personally I preferred the tapas place in Shirlington (on the good nights when things aren't over cooked), and my SO wasn't too impressed. Here's my problem: I hate anything African, Middle Eastern, Indian, Asian (minus Americanized Chinese food, which I don't want, as that's a hit or miss, and -- sometimes -- Thai or Japanese). Dietarily, I eat ONLY skinless boneless chicken breast meat-wise (I once went to a restaurant where they gave me an entire chicken, and I didn't know what to do with it!). No mushrooms, no chickpeas (hence the lack of desire for Middle Eastern, etc). Yes, I do eat veggies (broccoli, spinach, etc), but I don't want to go to a purely veggie place. Restaurant-wise I like Italian, any European (but French is iffy), including Eastern European (I even went to the Bulgarian restaurant in Adams Morgan and enjoyed that!), Latin American, Mexican, American, and a fusion of any of the above choices. Preferably I'd like something fun and new (we went to Scotland Yard once, which was interesting -- but not bad!). Price isn't a huge factor, but please no 100$ per person meals. I'd also like a good desert (like the volcano brownie at Theissman's -- mmm!). Romantic is a plus! Also, any good Greek places you know of? Thanks for you help, I looove your chats. My SO looks at me funny when I quote you (especially when I told him that you found Popeye's to be the best fast food, and he just rolled his eyes, as I too love the Popeye's). But I'm sure if you were to mention someplace different from the norm he would be immensely happy."

Edited by DCMark (log)

... Here's my problem: I hate anything African, Middle Eastern, Indian, Asian (minus Americanized Chinese food, which I don't want, as that's a hit or miss, and -- sometimes -- Thai or Japanese). Dietarily, I eat ONLY skinless boneless chicken breast meat-wise...

Hey, that's not your only problem...

Dear God, I swear I DATED that guy once! Oh, it's a girl. Oh well. It's reminiscent of so many exes-past for me...The "Macaroni Grill"-only guy, the "McD's"-only man, the "Springfield Pizza" or "TGI Friday's"-only guy....

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

Don't listen to these meanies DC MARK. Come to Nectar, Jamison and I will put together a 35 course degustation menu to rival El Bulli. I was thinking a tasting of every Gerber Baby Puree expertly paired to flights of different mineral waters.

Jarad C. Slipp, One third of ???

He was a sweet and tender hooligan and he swore that he'd never, never do it again. And of course he won't (not until the next time.) -Stephen Patrick Morrissey

Jiminy Xmas! This is like one of those "Dear Abby" hoax letters. Nobody could really be this ... this ... this way.

If I were Tom I would have banned her.

Edit to add: Ah, good, it apparently was a gag.

A lot of inside jokes and agendas within that question which regular chatters can appreciate. Very well-done.
Edited by Dignan (log)

just to make this clear to visitors:

Our intrepid local reviewer hosts a weekly on-line chat which sometimes reveals more than you really wanted to know about the inner angst of this august town. DCMark captured a lovely example of a chatterer posting a satirical query about said angst. He himself, as I recall, eats frogs. He is NOT the author of said request.

http://discuss.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/z...tsema042804.htmsietsema today

Edited by babka (log)

Dignan--I think it was purposeful, very well-done satire and very knowing, by a regular reader of the chats to poke fun at Tom and at the typical questions asked but maybe I'm guilty of reading too much into it.

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

Our intrepid local reviewer hosts a weekly on-line chat which sometimes reveals more than you really wanted to know about the inner angst of this august town. MarkDC captured a lovely example of a chatterer posting a satirical query about said angst. He himself, as I recall, eats frogs, and hence is NOT the author of said request.

I figured that out when I saw the negative report on french food (his wife is from France) and the reference to the SO as a "him."

Don't listen to these meanies DC MARK. Come to Nectar, Jamison and I will put together a 35 course degustation menu to rival El Bulli. I was thinking a tasting of every Gerber Baby Puree expertly paired to flights of different mineral waters.

ya know, given the magic ya'all work with lentils, I half suspect you could pull this off and it would be damn good.

Our intrepid local reviewer hosts a weekly on-line chat which sometimes reveals more than you really wanted to know about the inner angst of this august town. DCMark captured a lovely example of a chatterer posting a satirical query about said angst. He himself, as I recall, eats frogs. He is NOT the author of said request.

THANK YOU

Or Rockwell.

:cool:

I believe the hat has been tipped.

Jarad C. Slipp, One third of ???

He was a sweet and tender hooligan and he swore that he'd never, never do it again. And of course he won't (not until the next time.) -Stephen Patrick Morrissey