• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Arts & Crafts

You can go to readymademag.com for complete instructions on how to make the LP bowl. Check out the coasters...if I can find some cheap old vinyl i want to make those for Christmas gifts this year. I made tea towel holders out of old silver spoons from flea markets (you drill a hole and bend it into a "hook") and little finished blocks of wood (which I painted, then sanded for a beach-house effect), origami paper (cut to fit the back for a professional finish, attached with spray adhesive), and picture hangers from the craft store. The only tool you need is a drill with bit and screws. Not neccessarily a food craft, but kitchen craft. I made a bunch on a rainy saturday after Thanksgiving...will post photo soon.

Just to let you know...I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures! (and I love your name, Mr. Evilcartman!!)

When my uncle was in the navy during WW2, he made my mama a ring made from a silver quarter. Somehow, you pounded on the quarter and eventually had a plain silver band, but inside the ring was the date from the quarter. I wonder if your gram's ring was one sort of like that?

Maybe. My grandfather served in the Navy during WWII, so perhaps he brought it back from somewhere. He's passed on and she has Alzheimer's so I can't ask either of them, but maybe it's in their letters somewhere. I have those.

It's the one thing of hers that I asked for in her will.

Heather, "spoon rings" were very popular at NY/NJ flea markets and craft shows in the early-mid 70-s..just fyi.

friends of mine use their wine corks as "mulch" in their garden......

not particularly arty, but kinda crafty! :D

xo

"Animal crackers and cocoa to drink

That is the finest of suppers, I think

When I'm grown up and can have what I please,

I think I shall always insist upon these"

*Christopher Morley

When my uncle was in the navy during WW2, he made my mama a ring made from a silver quarter. Somehow, you pounded on the quarter and eventually had a plain silver band, but inside the ring was the date from the quarter. I wonder if your gram's ring was one sort of like that?

Maybe. My grandfather served in the Navy during WWII, so perhaps he brought it back from somewhere. He's passed on and she has Alzheimer's so I can't ask either of them, but maybe it's in their letters somewhere. I have those.

Heather, "spoon rings" were very popular at NY/NJ flea markets and craft shows in the early-mid 70-s..just fyi.

Interesting. I know she's had hers since the 50's, and they lived in New England. Maybe it was a fad that slowly worked its way south. :smile:

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Wine cork craft, taken as literally as possible.... but maybe not cheap, unless you have a state's worth of wine drinking friends....

The sad thing is, I could probably build this boat with just what's in my garage.

Chad

We could join forces and give the Queen Mary a run for the money! What do you think??? :laugh:

friends of mine use their wine corks as "mulch" in their garden......

I use wine corks as mulch for my house plants. Keeps the kitties from digging in the dirt and has been invaluable in preventing my 13-month-old from shoving handfuls of dirt into her mouth. :shock::rolleyes:

Julie Layne

"...a good little eater."

Just to let you know...I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures! (and I love your name, Mr. Evilcartman!!)

thanks for the compliment, but it's actually Ms. Evilcartman. I'm a huge fan of South Park and have been told that i do a spot on impersonation of little Eric Cartman. My boyfriend has my digital cam as soon as he brings it back i'll post a pic of my spoon hook. I have one left...most of them were given as christmas presents.

thanks for the compliment, but it's actually Ms. Evilcartman. I'm a huge fan of South Park and have been told that i do a spot on impersonation of little Eric Cartman. My boyfriend has my digital cam as soon as he brings it back i'll post a pic of my spoon hook. I have one left...most of them were given as christmas presents.

Sorry Ms. Evilcartman. Please, do not kick my butt!!

(I have a Kenny hat that I wear all the time! :biggrin: )

When I was still able to do engraving on glass (before arthritic right hand stopped me) I used to cut colored bottles down and make tumblers and engrave designs into the glass.

(One of my engravings is my avatar.)

I also engraved a lot of holloware for clients over the years, mostly dogs and horses, occasionally other things.

I have made several sets of windchimes out of odd flatware, old spoons, forks, (knives do not work).

I had a lot of kitchy kitchen pottery received as gifts over the years that I cleaned out of storage. I drilled holes in the bottoms and use them as planters.

One huge round "pasta" bowl with 50s "modern" designs - is now a bird bath in my yard. Would you want a bowl with orange, brown and turquoise boomerangs on your kitchen counter?

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I've got a montrous orange UGLY 60's ashtray that I'm thinking needs to be doing some duty as a birdbath.

At an estate sale last year, this lady had made these absolutely beautiful birdhouses with china pieces for mosaics on nice birdhouses. They were absolutely beautiful. They'd look really cute with Toasted's birdbath cups on stakes!!

I've got a montrous orange UGLY 60's ashtray that I'm thinking needs to be doing some duty as a birdbath.

At an estate sale last year, this lady had made these absolutely beautiful birdhouses with china pieces for mosaics on nice birdhouses. They were absolutely beautiful. They'd look really cute with Toasted's birdbath cups on stakes!!

I have one like that in the hall closet. It is orange with black crazing all through it. I always thought it looked like it had a spiderweb on it.

My ex smoked and I don't know why he didn't take it with him. It is an enlongated triangle with the tip cut off square. It is like a solid slab that had the center hollowed out in a long oval then the depressions for the cigarettes to rest were carved.

I don't allow smoking in my home so there is no reason for me to keep the thing but for some reason I never tossed it.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Yup! I know what you mean. We have ravens here, some of which are as big as chickens and one of them could bathe in this thing.

Back in the day, we had a huge coffee table, before the really big tables were fasionable, it was actually a Stickley dining table that had been cut down after one of the legs was damaged.

That ash tray wouldn't fit anywhere but on that table. It was too big for the end tables.......

My ex took the table.

What always got me about those ashtrays was if someone used them, you had to pick them up, clean them, put them back, because they looked horrid once they were used!! If someone ever filled one up, it'd be a carton of butts!

What always got me about those ashtrays was if someone used them, you had to pick them up, clean them, put them back, because they looked horrid once they were used!! If someone ever filled one up, it'd be a carton of butts!

And stink. I can't stand the odor from an ashtray.

Myself. We are both ex-smokers, but even pre-quit, I could not stand cigarette butts.

Yep. Gonna get me some portland cement, 3 3/8'' round rod legs cut, and make that ugly puppy into a sun spa retreat for the tweets!

I dried orange slices in a food dehydrator I got at Tuesday Morning for $10. I went to put them in my popourri bowl and wondered aloud where all the slices went as there were only two left. DH walked in from our office munching on one. :blink:

Edited by dumplin (log)

it just makes me want to sit down and eat a bag of sugar chased down by a bag of flour.

• 2 weeks later...

He was wondering why they were so crispy... :wacko: I told him they weren't for eating. I had dried an orange that wasn't in its prime, anyway. They were very pretty. I did dry blueberries for granola later...he asked me if they were for eating or for potpourri. :laugh:

it just makes me want to sit down and eat a bag of sugar chased down by a bag of flour.

Interesting. I know she's had hers since the 50's, and they lived in New England. Maybe it was a fad that slowly worked its way south. :smile:

I remember spoon rings, too--Towle Silversmiths, in Newburyport, MA, used to make them. Others may have too, but that's where I know them from.

agnolottigirl

~~~~~~~~~~~

"They eat the dainty food of famous chefs with the same pleasure with which they devour gross peasant dishes, mostly composed of garlic and tomatoes, or fisherman's octopus and shrimps, fried in heavily scented olive oil on a little deserted beach."-- Luigi Barzini, The Italians

You can still find them, usually at silver vendors at craft market. I bought mine at the Eastern Market in DC. I get tons of compliments on it.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe