• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite Kitchen Gizmo

jw46

Our most used kitchen accessory is our vacuum food packager...Just in the cost of cheese that would have normally developed mould and had to be discarded has paid its way...

Usually buys meat in bulk at warehouse store, repackages in vacuum bags, lasts far longer in freezer without getting ugly and dessicated..

OK..Your Turn...what makes your kitchen a better place?

ziplock bags. buy whole chicken--cut it up yourself--save backs, wings etc. for stock in ziplock freezer bags. also good for storing spices.

maybe i should think about one of those vacuum thingies for freezer meat and fish. how much do they run?

Our most used kitchen accessory is our vacuum food packager-.....

OK..Your Turn...what makes your kitchen a better place?

The most used kitchen accessory in my kitchen is the food processor. It cuts plantains for banana chips in no time, grinds thick batters for medu vada, kneads dough for chappathi and poori, and finely chops green beans, carrots, and cabbage for thorans.

Ammini Ramachandran

www.Peppertrail.com

Glad Press N Seal - not really a gizmo, but it works

Microplane grater

Crockpot :blink: - made awesome chicken thighs the other night with BBQ sauce, vinegar, hot pepper flakes, pulled last night and put on crusty rolls with coleslawl

Ronco Set It and Forget It rotisserie

Spider ladle

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

We have and use ziplock bags, microplane graters, a vacumm sealer and these

are all great tools/gadgets.

My personal favorite, and one I can't imagine doing without, is the simple

salad spinner. Saves so much labor (not to mention paper towels) and can

be used for much more than salad greens and herbs.

I know it's stew. What KIND of stew?

my Global Chef's Knife.

does it count as a kitchen gizmo?

Do not expect INTJs to actually care about how you view them. They already know that they are arrogant bastards with a morbid sense of humor. Telling them the obvious accomplishes nothing.

Not sure it counts as a gizmo, but my newest fun kitchen toy is an asparaus peeler. I have been making Paula Wolfert's Asparaus w/Asparaus Sauce recipe a lot recently and it is a huge help.

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

Mine is a tiny little grater. It's the four sided type that looks a bit like a steep truncated pyramid - identical to a regular full sized four sided grater but each side is just a bit wider than your thumb and it's about 2" in height. The holes are exactly the right size for grating small amounts of hard cheese to throw onto a dish and also perfect for grating ginger. What I really like is the fact that it's so easy to clean - a quick rinse and spray and it's ready to go back in the drawer.

What else can it be used for? Just curious...

What else can it be used for? Just curious...

drying underwear?

a grater that works well for ginger and is easy to clean? if you've found one of these things what more can you live for?

I'm still working on what else to live for.... the list is so bountiful that I have trouble narrowing it down to just a few. What's so cool about it this that the holes are just the right size for ginger. Furthermore.... my big grater has two sizes of holes: one too small for ginger and one too large. This one is just right plus.... chicks dig it :wink: they always comment on how "cute" it is.

i6203.jpg

I think I got this at Lechter's before they went under but that's just a guess.

Well, it doesn't get used that often, but when there is a need I feel terribly smug that I bought it at Crate and Barrel twenty-mumble years ago; it probably cost three bucks back then.

A cherry/olive pitter. Works like a dream, looks like a medieval instrument of torture -- (ideal for popping the eyeballs of saints.)

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

My lemon/lime reamer. My microplane (does a great job on ginger, especially if it's frozen).

I love these two so much I bought duplicates. One set for home, one for The Cabin.

And, let's not forget my most wonderful "gaget" -- my daughter Diana, 13, assistant in the kitchen. Taster, idea-comer-up-wither, helper.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

And, let's not forget my most wonderful "gaget" -- my daughter Diana, 13, assistant in the kitchen.  Taster, idea-comer-up-wither, helper.

Our son the onion slicer, carrot dicer, salad maker has long since grown up, enjoy her while she is still at your side...Remembers fondly his experiments in the kitchen...some good, many dismal...Somehow, liver with mint sauce just didn't work..lol...we called out for pizza instead of eating much of that...

Somehow, liver with mint sauce just didn't  work..lol...we called out for pizza instead of eating much of that...

Ewww, I read that way too early in the morning! At least he's inventive though!

Edited by Toasted (log)

Melissa