• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite Kitchen Gizmo

jw46

Probably my 1 1/2 quart All-Clad D5 sauce pan.  I use it for boiling water, reheating soup and sauce, making small portions of sauce and veggies, making pudding, and it's used at least twice a day.  It lives on the stovetop.

Next up - and maybe tied for first place - is my Breville oven.  I have the mini, and it's been used for making meatloaf, baking and roasting potatoes, making and reheating pizza, making bread and brownies, made a salmon loaf in it, and the top has been used as a plate warmer.  It's so useful, and I like it so much, that I may trade it in for the next larger size.  Gotta go - the toast is ready.

• Like 1

... Shel

The Joseph Joseph Scoop Straining Ladle.  It saves washing the colander, which I hate.

As far as favorite, though, really, it's the Bastard.  A twelve inch cast iron fry pan with helper handle and basting lid.  It rocks.  It's huge for two, and cooks everything.  I once tried to sell it on Craig's list when it was brand new for an extremely good price.  I was so insulted by the "offers" I got that I decided to make it work.

Thank you, anonymous public!

Edited by Lindacakes (log)
  • Like 1

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.

Firstly my Trudeau spatulas.  Solid silicone.  Love 'em.

Secondly my Paderno pots.  Solely for my use for making confections, ice cream, etc. I have 5 different sizes with lids, all bought over 5 years when they came on sale.

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Breville Smart Oven. I love, love, love that thing. I only ever use my regular oven when what I am baking/roasting won't fit into the Breville. if I had known how much I was going to use it, I would have purchased one long ago.

• Like 2

I think one thing everyone uses the most for cooking is the computer.

Googling for recipes, storing recipes, watching youtube cooking demonstrations, etc--------.

and visiting food forums!

dcarch

• Like 6

My Sharp Convection/Microwave oven - I use it for so many things - when I don't need the bigger oven.  I baked a lovely loaf of bread in it today.

The rotating rack means the bread rises and bakes evenly every time. 

Same with cakes - no need to turn them half way thru baking time.

And the fan is not as strong as the one in the Cadco oven so I don't need a barrier to prevent ripples when baking custard pies, cheesecakes, etc. 

I also posted these photos on Facebook right after the loaf came out of the oven. 

HPIM6270.JPG

HPIM6271.JPG

HPIM6272.JPG

• Like 8

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

""""

weinoo, on 30 Apr 2014 - 5:20 PM, said:snapback.png

My refrigerator/freezer.  Cause it keeps stuff cold and supplies me with ice.

I forgot the fridge.

Fridge>BSO.

Because of ice

""""

cheeky.
  • Like 2

Also the Breville Smart Oven, don't know how I lived without it for so long.

Kitchenaid circa 1980s Hobart-made 5-quart lift mixer...Love it and hope it never dies.

Zojirushi induction rice maker.

Zojirushi Bread maker - though I only use it for kneading.

All Clad 3-quart sauté pan, one non-stick and one without.

Fissler 4-qt. Pressure Cooker Pan set

• Like 1

My 10" Chef's Knife - going strong after 31 years. It just fits my hand perfectly and balances where I want it to.

• Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Having thought about this a while, I have to say my Nissen pepper mill.  I use it almost every meal, and have since the early 1970's.

http://www.tpederzani.com/pepper/0660

Note, mine says patent applied for and thus I think earlier than 1972 when the patent was granted.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Every toy I own!

That's pretty much my attitude.  I love gadgets and appliances and "stuff" old and new. 

A friend asked what I would take if forced to move into a smaller place and I tried to make a list but suffered severe angst about having to part with any of my "toys".

• Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

My Devin Thomas 240mm Gyuto AEB-L knife....or maybe my Devin Thomas 150mm Petty AEB-L knife...the only knives I use anymore. These would be the only things I'd grab from the kitchen if the house was burning down...

• Like 1

A sharp knife. I have a lot of kitchen gear and love a lot of it (especially my pressure cooker, circulator, and chamber vacuum) but since pretty much everything that is done in the kitchen depends on the ability to cut easily and cleanly, you can't get far without a nice, sharp chef's knife. For most tasks I use a Global G2 and keep it sharp with waterstones and a MAC ceramic hone.

• Like 2

I'm with Andie: I love my equipment and gadgets. Several years ago we remodeled the kitchen, which meant emptying ALL the cupboards, drawers and shelves, and boxing most of it up for several months. It was painful. "Why do I have this?" I'd exclaim in some cases, and those items went away. "I'd forgotten I had this!" or, more commonly, "I've been looking for this!" were the more frequent thoughts. When we moved into the completed kitchen I had to figure out where to put things, but there wasn't an appreciably smaller amount of stuff; since then I've added more.

Maybe, just maybe - when all is said and done - I'd pick my vintage Wearever lemon juicer. It's been in the family since Mom rescued it from a discard heap in the early 50's. Getting harder to find. If I had children, I'd pass this on to my favorite.

• Like 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

My 18 inch square (10 inch deep) end-grain butcher block on wheels.  Sits under a counter and makes a relatively small kitchen twice as effective.  I love all my toys but this is not a toy but an absolute necessity for me.

• Like 1