• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Desserts using canned fruit?

Anna N

I thought that was special just for relatives!!!! We might include the next door neighbors, but Katie, we were talkin' company! That's one of our dirty little secrets...and a good one when you toss in the mallows at the right time. :laugh:

Edit to add: pecans. Nice toasted pecan halves, and now I'm gonna make some tomorrow, along with coleslaw from the other thread, catfish, and hushpuppies. And a peach cobbler for dessert!

I like that the sour cream makes the marshmallows kind of melty and squishy. :smile:

And yes - definitely nuts too. Usually toasted and slivered almonds.

I always felt like company whenever there was Ambrosia for dessert. :wub:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I have made a cobbler mix for tinned fruit. the one I have used most for quick desserts is any of: cherries, peach, apricots, pineapple, apple, berries, rhubarb, plums crumble

Alter the amount of butter etc depending on size of dish,but usually I use:

1/2 cup melted butter

1/2 cup oats

1/2 cup brown sugar,

1/2 cup coconut

1/2 cup weeties or cornflakes (for crunch)

1/2 cup golden raisins

1 teaspoon cinnamon

pinch nutmeg

More butter may be needed if too dry

Mix it all together in bowl and sprinkle over the tinned fruit. If you want a crustier top, maike it very moist and press firmly down, for a crumbly mix, just loosley sprinkle all over

Serve with whipped cream or ice cream (even custard is nice)

Edited by Aussie_Gusto (log)

If you happen to have any apples (granny smith or some tart ones are best but any will do)

I core the apples and fill each one with a mixture of dab of butter then golden raisens, sprinkle brown sugar, coconut, any nuts, honey..just keep filling and squishing the stuff in the hole.

Top with sprinkle brown sugar, and drizzle honey over it and sprinkle with coconut,

In a dish (pie dish or casserolle base) grease with butter, put some dots of butter around, sprinkle with brown sugar and drizzle honey around, place the apples on the plate, and put in oven at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes or until soft -preparation timeis about 10 minutes and Voila!

It makes its own caramel honey sauce. serve with Vanilla ice cream or cream Sprinkle the ice cream with toasted almonds

I live near an American Spoon Foods store. Nothing to be embarrassed about when you use their stuff. You can fill a pie with their Fruit Perfect with impunity.

Sure fresh is best, frozen the better second choice (and sometimes the first choice depending on the season and application) but every now and then American Spoon comes to the rescue.

And I use plain 'ole canned pineapple for upside-down cakes too.

I remember reading somewhere that you can make a quick "sorbet" by keeping a can of peaches in the freezer and then pureeing them.

Right here on eG is where you may have read it - I posted that recently on (of all places) one of the foie gras threads. I always keep a few cans in the freezer for just this purpose. Not just peaches, but almost any fruit, in fact I often combine two, like grapefruit with mandarin orange. Caveat: it only works with fruits canned in heavy syrup! Also, if you have enough time you'll get even better results if you puree, refreeze, and puree again.

Re other things mentioned up-thread - yes, not only clafoutis or cobbler, but also the whole other array of fruit/batter/dough comfort foods, like Slump, or Grunt, or even Crumble or Brown Betty. I find these work even better with frozen fruits - that is, the ones flash-frozen and packed in plastic bags. Since they don't have syrup you have to sweeten and season them yourself, of course, but that makes it all the more like working with the fresh article! not to mention that the liquid is more intensely fruit-flavored because it all comes directly from the fruit itself. My favorite combination: peaches and blueberries. Sugar, a little lemon, some cinnamon, maybe a little mace.... Mmmmmm... I may just have to make this tonight! :smile:

EDIT to add: perfect accompaniment to the above sorbets: shortbread. Quick, easy, always have the ingredients on hand. Way yummy together. BTW, having tricks like this up your sleeve it no big deal when you live within easy reach of a market - but when you live 20 minutes away from the nearest store it gets to be kind of important!! Hmmm - note to self: discuss this on blog.

EDIT AGAIN to say: I wouldn't put "sorbet" in quotes (even though I just did :rolleyes:). Think about it: when you make a proper sorbet, what do you use? fruit and simple syrup. What is canned fruit? Why, fruit and syrup. Sometimes you cook the fruit; sometimes the canned fruit is also cooked. Far as I'm concerned, it walks like sorbet, it quacks like sorbet... it's sorbet.

Edited by balmagowry (log)

because of course here at eGullet we all have almond paste on hand at all times (well, anyway, I do  :wink: )

I used to make my own marzipan and freeze it in logs to use in Moroccan pastries like "the snake" that I made while catering ... but, if left in the freezer for too long, the taste can dissipate and weaken .. too long being a year, when I misplaced it in the deep dark recesses of my freezer! :laugh:

"The Snake" a recipe:

http://dinnercoop.cs.cmu.edu/dinnercoop/Re...ndPastries.html

also to be found in Paula Wolfert's cookbooks. :biggrin:

Edited by Gifted Gourmet (log)

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I live near an American Spoon Foods store. Nothing to be embarrassed about when you use their stuff. You can fill a pie with their Fruit Perfect with impunity.

Sure fresh is best, frozen the better second choice (and sometimes the first choice depending on the season and application) but every now and then American Spoon comes to the rescue.

And I use plain 'ole canned pineapple for upside-down cakes too.

which "Spoon" store do you live near?

used to make my own marzipan and freeze it in logs to use in Moroccan pastries like "the snake" that I made while catering ... but, if left in the freezer for too long, the taste can dissipate and weaken .. too long being a year, when I misplaced it in the deep dark recesses of my freezer!

ii HAVE NEVER STORED MARZIPAN OR ALMOND PASTE THAT LONG, BUT i WOULD THINK YOU COULD SPIKE UP THE FLAVOR WITH A FEW DROPS OF BITTER ALMOND.

“C’est dans les vieux pots, qu’on fait la bonne soupe!”, or ‘it is in old pots that good soup is made’.

used to make my own marzipan and freeze it in logs to use in Moroccan pastries like "the snake" that I made while catering ... but, if left in the freezer for too long, the taste can dissipate and weaken .. too long being a year, when I misplaced it in the deep dark recesses of my freezer!

ii HAVE NEVER STORED MARZIPAN OR ALMOND PASTE THAT LONG, BUT i WOULD THINK YOU COULD SPIKE UP THE FLAVOR WITH A FEW DROPS OF BITTER ALMOND.

Thanks for the idea! I didn't plan to keep it frozen for such a length of time, simply pushed it back in the freezer and lost track of it :laugh: I used bitter almond extract a long time ago with orange blossom water which is more authentically Moroccan .. lived near Rabat way back, for two years.

Guess I will make this again because it was a "bestseller"!

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

This one is really weird in concept and appearance yet it tastes really good. I can NOT get with the notion of serving a dollop of mayo on it as was recommended but the rest of it actually works. My sort-of-ex (we were never married and have been apart for 20 years but I have to call her something) makes this every holiday season and refers to it as holiday jello.

I pack lemon Jello

1 pack lime Jello

Can of crushed pinaeapple

Green olives

Walnuts

Make the jello, pour in the can of drained crushed pineapple, some chopped walnuts and chopped green olives (with pimento's of you like!) and chill. To me the combination of textures, colors and flavors seems a bit odd but it actually works.

Who knew there were so many ways to use canned fruit? I am saving all your suggestions in a text file and will be trying them out over the weeks. Thank you all for your time and effort.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

i use canned lychees and jackfruit, canned coconut milk, and maybe some fresh mango or whatever else looks good, to make a California version of that icy coconut drink, halo-halo. i forget the thai name for the same dish.

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

This one is really weird in concept and appearance yet it tastes really good. I can NOT get with the notion of serving a dollop of mayo on it as was recommended but the rest of it actually works. My sort-of-ex (we were never married and have been apart for 20 years but I have to call her something) makes this every holiday season and refers to it as holiday jello.

I pack lemon Jello

1 pack lime Jello

Can of crushed pinaeapple

Green olives

Walnuts

Make the jello, pour in the can of drained crushed pineapple, some chopped walnuts and chopped green olives (with pimento's of you like!) and chill. To me the combination of textures, colors and flavors seems a bit odd but it actually works.

I'm surprised that would work, only because of the enzymes in the pineapple, which break down gelatin. But maybe using 2 packets allows the gelatin to overpower the munching enzymes.

But aside from that, :blink::shock::sad:

I'm surprised that would work, only because of the enzymes in the pineapple, which break down gelatin. But maybe using 2 packets allows the gelatin to overpower the munching enzymes.

But aside from that, :blink::shock::sad:

My "Joys of Jello" cookbook (circla 1961, back when they made celery flavored Jello) says that canned pineapple is fine; they specifically say to use canned, not fresh. Canning apparantly cooks the enzymes out.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Since we seem to be including frozen fruit as well, nothing is better than the mixed berries at Costco. I made a pie with them and the last of the cherries from our tree (also frozen) last weekend that was outstanding. We also eat them with a bowl of yogurt, or just by themselves.

Okay, Cakewalk, so you don't feel so bad:

Use canned pears to top your frangipane tart -- because of course here at eGullet we all have almond paste on hand at all times (well, anyway, I do :wink: )

Thanks, Suzanne. I knew if anyone could restore my faith, it would be you. :smile:

I'm surprised that would work, only because of the enzymes in the pineapple, which break down gelatin.

I think that there isn't a problem with enzymes and canned pineapple. Its only if you tried to use fresh fruit

Martial.2,500 Years ago:

If pale beans bubble for you in a red earthenware pot, you can often decline the dinners of sumptuous hosts.