• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Murray Carter Knives...

saultime

I just got my Murray Carter 7.7'' Wabocho today--I guess after seeing Kill Bill, I wanted something Japanese in my kitchen :raz:

I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but it seems extremely sharp...and it's absolutely beautiful. The unpolished forged blade just looks great. It'll really stand out on my "collection"--I have an 8" Wusthof and a Global 5.5" vegetable knife (the one that looks like it fell off a space ship), and I think I'll be reaching for the Carter a lot in the future!

So, do any of you Murray Carter owners have any tips or pointers about this knife regarding use & maintenance? I plan on using it only to cut veggies and stuff, so that’s a plus. What about sharpening and steeling? It shouldn't dull for a while, but I plan on getting an edgepro rig in the future. I’m assuming it works well on Asian Knives….

If Chad happens to see this (Hi Chad!), any info on the spyderco v. edgepro for sharpening this sort of knife would be appreciated. I’ve seen several mentions of Japanese knives requiring different techniques for sharpening, but not much on what those different procedures are. :huh:

I used the knife last night, and this thing is so sharp it’s almost scary! Absolutly like a razor—so sharp it digs into the cutting board a little, making it a little difficult to rock. It’s a hell of a blade.

P.S., if I stuck this tread in the wrong forum, I’m sorry…any of the kind mods can feel free to move it! Thanks. :biggrin:

Knives of such caliber will never perform to their utmost without all the control you can get in the sharpening.

Of the two options you list, definitely EdgePro. I bought one a while back when I noticed I wasn't as steady as I used to be on narrow bevels.

It's hard to advise further without knowing the blade geometry. Thick or thin; traditional western double-bevel, traditional Japanese, or the seeming hybrid between the two that one finds in Nenox, et al.?

All of these require different considerations - the first and last do very well on the EdgePro; traditional Japanese blades are best done on good waterstones due to the single bevel (the EdgePro can do them, but it's cumbersome, and the wide bevel is practically self-jigging anyhow).

As for steels, polished is best (round, square, or oval as you prefer), followed closely by one of the F. Dick flat steels, specifically the "Dick 2000," their finest cut.

(No connection with the company, just a highly-satisfied EdgePro - and waterstone - owner who once upon a time taught sharpening.)

Charlie

Walled Lake, Michigan

It's a thin double bevel.

Hmmm, I'm not qualified to give substantive advice on sharpening Japanese knives. As has been mentioned before, give a good look at the Sharpening with Waterstones thread.

If it's a thin double bevel like a western style Japanese, the EdgePro will certainly see you right.

The best advice I can give, however, is to contact Murray Carter. Here's the email address I've used for him in the past. He's a great guy, easy to talk to, and more than willing to fill you in on any details you're unsure of. Murray is a consumate craftsman and passionate about knives. Just ask. I'm sure he'll tell you everything you need to know.

Chad

Chad Ward

An Edge in the Kitchen

William Morrow Cookbooks

www.chadwrites.com

DAMN, those Hattoris look sweet!

I think I'm about tapped out for my knife collection (at least for a while), as the Carter set me back a good bit, and I'm pretty satisfied with it. The blade is sold as "7.7" inches, but because of the traditional handle and lack of a bolster, it performs more like a 10 inch knife. It's what I reach for when I want something bigger than my 8 inch Wusthof, if that tells you anything. Looks like my next big purchase will be an edgepro! I wonder if I should get the stone upgrades...